Community Discussions and Support
Sending Email Issue !!!

This was a user error ! [:$]

The user sending the email had missed one letter out of the domain name.
I had check and completely missed it as well !

So mercury did the look up and found the IP address of this new misspelt domain.

All resolved now.

Many Thanks

<p>This was a user error ! [:$]</p><p>The user sending the email had missed one letter out of the domain name. I had check and completely missed it as well !   So mercury did the look up and found the IP address of this new misspelt domain. All resolved now. Many Thanks </p>

We seem to have a slight issue when we send a email and 'cc' it to another user..

eg:

TO: ray@xxxxxx.com
CC: steve@yyyyyy.com

We get this:

15:42:15: processing job MO000320
Resolved MX for 'xxxxxx.com' to 62.x.x.x
Resolved CN for 'yyyyyy.com' to 72.x.x.x
Connecting to 62.x.x.x
MAIL FROM:<jen@aaaa.co.uk>
RCPT TO:<ray@xxxxxx.com>
DATA
[10340 bytes] Message accepted for delivery by 62.x.x.x.
15:42:17: 2 seconds elapsed, closing connection.

Connecting to 72.x.x.x
Connection error.

Yet if I email directly to steve@yyyyyy.com it connects to 62.x.x.x and works fine.
What is the 'resolved CN' entry ??

MX lookups (win nslookup) for  xxxxxx.com & yyyyyy.com both resolve to the exact same addresses.

This is using Mercury 4.1. Thanks

&lt;p&gt;We seem to have a slight issue when we send a email and &#039;cc&#039; it to another user..&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;eg:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;TO: ray@xxxxxx.com CC: steve@yyyyyy.com We get this:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;15:42:15: processing job MO000320 Resolved MX for &#039;xxxxxx.com&#039; to 62.x.x.x Resolved CN for &#039;yyyyyy.com&#039; to 72.x.x.x Connecting to 62.x.x.x MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;jen@aaaa.co.uk&amp;gt; RCPT TO:&amp;lt;ray@xxxxxx.com&amp;gt; DATA [10340 bytes] Message accepted for delivery by 62.x.x.x. 15:42:17: 2 seconds elapsed, closing connection. Connecting to 72.x.x.x Connection error. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Yet if I email directly to steve@yyyyyy.com it connects to 62.x.x.x and works fine. What is the &#039;resolved CN&#039; entry ??&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;MX lookups (win nslookup) for&amp;nbsp; xxxxxx.com &amp;amp; yyyyyy.com both resolve to the exact same addresses. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;This is using Mercury 4.1. Thanks &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

pls turn on session logging, do all three combinations, then attach the log to a reply here for further investigation.

pls turn on session logging, do all three combinations, then attach the log to a reply here for further investigation.

I can't post the full logs as they contain 'private' information !!

I can see no entry that shows the 72.x.x.x address
Apart from the CN resolution !!

At the end of the session I see:

15:41:38.828:
15:41:38.828: --- Tue Jul 31 15:41:38 2007 ---
15:41:38.828: Connect to '72.x.x.x', timeout 60.
15:41:59.812: 15: Peer connect failure

DNS / MX lookup for the domain names shows nothing to the 72.x.x.x address.

&lt;p&gt;I can&#039;t post the full logs as they contain &#039;private&#039; information !!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I can see no entry that shows the 72.x.x.x address Apart from the CN resolution !!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;At the end of the session I see:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;15:41:38.828: 15:41:38.828: --- Tue Jul 31 15:41:38 2007 --- 15:41:38.828: Connect to &#039;72.x.x.x&#039;, timeout 60. 15:41:59.812: 15: Peer connect failure &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;DNS / MX lookup for the domain names shows nothing to the 72.x.x.x address. &lt;/p&gt;

Apparently Mercury's MX lookup doesn't return any valid MX entries for the 72.x.x.x domain, so instead it tries with the IP address registered for the domain itself. In this case there is presumably no mail server on that IP so connection fails.

I would suggest checking the DNS server entries in the networking settings for Windows, and optionally enter name server IP's directly in the SMPT client configuration window in Mercury (to bypass Windows for address resolution). 

/Rolf

&lt;p&gt;Apparently Mercury&#039;s MX lookup doesn&#039;t return any valid MX entries for the 72.x.x.x domain, so instead it tries with the IP address registered for the domain itself. In this case there is presumably no mail server on that IP so connection fails.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I would suggest checking the DNS server entries in the networking settings for Windows, and optionally enter name server IP&#039;s directly in the SMPT client configuration window in Mercury (to bypass Windows for address resolution).&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Rolf Lindby"]

Apparently Mercury's MX lookup doesn't return any valid MX entries for the 72.x.x.x domain, so instead it tries with the IP address registered for the domain itself. In this case there is presumably no mail server on that IP so connection fails.

I would suggest checking the DNS server entries in the networking settings for Windows, and optionally enter name server IP's directly in the SMPT client configuration window in Mercury (to bypass Windows for address resolution). 

/Rolf

[/quote]

If I do a full DNS lookup on the domain name I get no entries relating to a 72.x.x.x domain.
This is happening with ONE Domain name NOT two.

If we email 2 users at the same domain, then we get this Resolving CN entry !!

Any Ideas ??

Thanks

[quote user=&quot;Rolf Lindby&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Apparently Mercury&#039;s MX lookup doesn&#039;t return any valid MX entries for the 72.x.x.x domain, so instead it tries with the IP address registered for the domain itself. In this case there is presumably no mail server on that IP so connection fails.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I would suggest checking the DNS server entries in the networking settings for Windows, and optionally enter name server IP&#039;s directly in the SMPT client configuration window in Mercury (to bypass Windows for address resolution).&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If I do a full DNS lookup on the domain name I get no entries relating to a 72.x.x.x domain. This is happening with ONE Domain name NOT two.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If we email 2 users at the same domain, then we get this Resolving CN entry !! Any Ideas ??&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;

If the MX records don't exist or for some reason are incorrect (like IP number instead of host name), the SMTP rules say that the sending server should attempt to deliver to the address registered for the domain name itself. This is apparently what is happening here.

I can't give any further help without knowing the actual domains involved, though.

/Rolf

&lt;p&gt;If the MX records don&#039;t exist or for some reason are incorrect (like IP number instead of host name), the SMTP rules say that the sending server should attempt to deliver to the address registered for the domain name itself. This is apparently what is happening here.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I can&#039;t give any further help without knowing the actual domains involved, though.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;/Rolf &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="tomt"] I can't post the full logs as they contain 'private' information !! [/quote]

Edit & strikeout what you feel is too sensitive - as real addresses involved certainly are // I didn't write that explicitly since it is so obvious - but without the actual domains involved (as Rolf has pointed out), no-one here can actually test your scenario - not even in a test bench, since the dns records first needs to be investigated.

&lt;P&gt;[quote user=&quot;tomt&quot;] I can&#039;t post the full logs as they contain &#039;private&#039; information !! [/quote]&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Edit &amp;amp; strikeout what you feel is too sensitive - as real addresses involved certainly are // I didn&#039;t write that explicitly since it is so obvious&amp;nbsp;- but without the actual domains involved (as Rolf has pointed out), no-one here can actually test your scenario&amp;nbsp;- not even in a test&amp;nbsp;bench, since the dns records first needs to be investigated.&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft