Community Discussions and Support
No activity showing in Mercury P window

Good point - thanks. Mercury is running on Windows Server 2003 and somehow there was two instances of MErcury showing in Task Manager, although I could only see one on the screen.

Fixed.

Thanks again,

Andy.

<p>Good point - thanks. Mercury is running on Windows Server 2003 and somehow there was two instances of MErcury showing in Task Manager, although I could only see one on the screen.</p><p> </p><p>Fixed.</p><p> </p><p>Thanks again,</p><p>Andy.</p><p> </p>

Hi, I've a system with 32/4.51 running, newly updated from 4.2.

The strange thing is that although the system is functioning fine, there is no activity being shown in the the POP3 Server (P) window. Just the text that comes up when the prog starts.

The server IS running though, I just can't see the activity.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Andy.

<p>Hi, I've a system with 32/4.51 running, newly updated from 4.2.</p><p> The strange thing is that although the system is functioning fine, there is no activity being shown in the the POP3 Server (P) window. Just the text that comes up when the prog starts.</p><p> The server IS running though, I just can't see the activity.</p><p>  Any ideas please?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks</p><p> </p><p>Andy.</p><p>  </p>

MercuryP will only show activity when users collect their email from your mail server via the POP3 protocol (using Pegasus, Outlook or any other mail client that supports POP3).

You may have set up Pegasus to send and receive messages directly from the folders on the mail server and thus avoid using SMTP and POP3.

On my network I do run MercuryP and MercuryS (Mercury's SMTP server) but do not set up workstations to know about their existance, unless for a very special reason. (I also set up no network gateway - users all work through a proxy server) That way, if any workstation does become infected with a mass mailing worm, the worm can not do anything.

MercuryP will only show activity when users collect their email from your mail server via the POP3 protocol (using Pegasus, Outlook or any other mail client that supports POP3). You may have set up Pegasus to send and receive messages directly from the folders on the mail server and thus avoid using SMTP and POP3. On my network I do run MercuryP and MercuryS (Mercury's SMTP server) but do not set up workstations to know about their existance, unless for a very special reason. (I also set up no network gateway - users all work through a proxy server) That way, if any workstation does become infected with a mass mailing worm, the worm can not do anything.

Thanks for your reply, but users are using Eudora for their mail and ARE using POP3 for email collection.

But still nothing showing in P window.

Thanks

Andy.

<p>Thanks for your reply, but users are using Eudora for their mail and ARE using POP3 for email collection.</p><p> </p><p>But still nothing showing in P window.</p><p> </p><p>Thanks</p><p> Andy.</p><p> </p>

Strange.

Ensure that you are seeing both panes of the MercuryP window.

From another workstation connect via a command line:

telnet x.x.x.x 110  <ENTER>

<ENTER>

HELP<ENTER>

Your should see:

+OK   Mercury/32 MTS Post Office Protocol v3 server v4.51..... or something similar

If you do not see such a prompt and corresponding "Connection from.." messages in the MercuryP window, then perhaps you have some other POP3 server running on your system, such as IIS.

&lt;p&gt;Strange.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Ensure that you are seeing both panes of the MercuryP window. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;From another workstation connect via a command line:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;telnet x.x.x.x 110&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt;ENTER&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;ENTER&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;HELP&amp;lt;ENTER&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Your should see:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;+OK&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Mercury/32 MTS Post Office Protocol v3 server v4.51..... or something similar&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If you do not see such a prompt and corresponding &quot;Connection from..&quot; messages in the MercuryP window, then perhaps you have some other POP3 server running on your system, such as IIS. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Yes I see:   +OK <235344093.2299@southeastradio.ie>, POP3 server ready.

And HELP returns the server ID,

Mercury/23 MTS Post Office Protocol v3 server v4.51

etc. 

There's no  other POP server running on the system.

Thanks

&lt;p&gt;Yes I see:&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; +OK &amp;lt;235344093.2299@southeastradio.ie&amp;gt;, POP3 server ready.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;And HELP returns the server ID, &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Mercury/23 MTS Post Office Protocol v3 server v4.51&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;etc.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;There&#039;s no&amp;nbsp; other POP server running on the system.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Did you already check, how many "mercury.exe" processes you have in the Taskmanager's process list? It could be that there's already another instance of mercury.exe running...

&lt;p&gt;Did you already check, how many &quot;mercury.exe&quot; processes you have in the Taskmanager&#039;s process list? It could be that there&#039;s already another instance of mercury.exe running...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft