Community Discussions and Support
F-Prot v6's fpscan.exe

Another question.  I'm looking at replacing Captaris WebMail with SquirrelMail.  I've gone so far as actually sending a test message from SM.  Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the SM identifiers from the header records?  I don't personally but I'm sure there are plenty of mail administrators out there that are blocking SM due to all the spam with SM in the headers.

Return-path: <x@bkbusa.com>
Received: from 192.168.1.3 (192.168.1.1) by BKBUSA.COM (Mercury/32 v4.01b) with ESMTP ID MG000E34;
   25 Nov 2007 16:10:04 -0400
Received: from 0.0.0.0
        (SquirrelMail authenticated user x)                 <-------
        by 192.168.1.3 with HTTP;
        Thu, 25 Nov 2007 16:10:06 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Message-ID: <0.0.0.0.0.1193343006.squirrel@192.168.1.3>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2007 16:10:06 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Subject: Test
To: x@bkbusa.com
User-Agent: SquirrelMail/1.4.11                             <-------
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Importance: Normal
X-PMFLAGS: 34078848 0 1 723C85FA.CNM                        

&lt;p&gt;Another question.&amp;nbsp; I&#039;m looking at replacing Captaris WebMail with SquirrelMail.&amp;nbsp; I&#039;ve gone so far as actually sending a test message from SM.&amp;nbsp; Does anyone know if it&#039;s possible to remove the SM identifiers from the header records?&amp;nbsp; I don&#039;t personally but I&#039;m sure there are plenty of mail administrators out there that are blocking SM due to all the spam with SM in the headers. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Return-path: &amp;lt;x@bkbusa.com&amp;gt; Received: from 192.168.1.3 (192.168.1.1) by BKBUSA.COM (Mercury/32 v4.01b) with ESMTP ID MG000E34; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; 25 Nov 2007 16:10:04 -0400 Received: from 0.0.0.0 &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; (SquirrelMail authenticated user x)&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt;------- &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; by 192.168.1.3 with HTTP; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Thu, 25 Nov 2007 16:10:06 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Message-ID: &amp;lt;0.0.0.0.0.1193343006.squirrel@192.168.1.3&amp;gt; Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2007 16:10:06 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Subject: Test From: x@bkbusa.com To: x@bkbusa.com User-Agent: SquirrelMail/1.4.11&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt;------- MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-Priority: 3 (Normal) Importance: Normal X-PMFLAGS: 34078848 0 1 723C85FA.CNM&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;

Has anyone written a policy to get F-Prot's new command line scanner fpscan.exe working with Mercury/32?

Has anyone written a policy to get F-Prot&#039;s new command line scanner fpscan.exe working with Mercury/32?

The commandline is documented in:

http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/fpwin_faq/446.html and

http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/fpwin_faq/445.html

The return codes are defined in http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/fpwin_faq/310.html

Differences between V3 and V6 are shown in:

http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/fpwin_faq/357.html 

No where does it show how to scan a file, just mapped drives, but a posting to a newsgroup suggests that you can address a single file using: "c:\pathtofprot\fpscan /disinfect %1"

I would like to hear if this works ok

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;The commandline is documented in:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/fpwin_faq/446.html and&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/fpwin_faq/445.html&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The return codes are defined in http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/fpwin_faq/310.html&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Differences between V3 and V6 are shown in:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/fpwin_faq/357.html&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;No where does it show how to scan a file, just mapped drives, but a posting to a newsgroup suggests that you can address a single file using: &quot;c:\pathtofprot\fpscan /disinfect %1&quot;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I would like to hear if this works ok&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I have created a policy for fpscan.exe version 6 and it seems to work fine.

If anyone wants it, just shout. 

Regards,

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;I have created a policy for fpscan.exe version 6 and it seems to work fine.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If anyone wants it, just shout.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Regards,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Yes please.  Send it to irelam@telus.net please   I will then update Virscan and Virprot documentation

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;Yes please.&amp;nbsp; Send it to irelam@telus.net please&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I will then update Virscan and Virprot documentation &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Hi Martin,

Is it possible to send me the policy to use the fprot 6  fpscan.exe by mail?

Or is it possible to download it anywhere?

Thanks a lot for your help !

regards, Rene 

&lt;P&gt;Hi Martin,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Is it possible to send me the policy to use the fprot 6&amp;nbsp; fpscan.exe by mail?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Or is it possible to download it anywhere?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Thanks a lot for your help&amp;nbsp;!&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;regards, Rene&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

Martin, sent as requested.

Also, if anyone is interested I have a method for allowing e-mails with specific to or from addresses to effectively bypass a policy.

I use this myself as I handle lots of malware samples and I need to be able to send them onto the AV companies and other researchers without the anti-virus policy blocking them. Likewise, I receive new samples from people, and these also need to be able to bypass the anti-virus policy. All other mail gets scanned as normal.

The technique I use could be used for any mercury policy. 

Hope this is of interest?

Regards,

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;Martin, sent as requested.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Also, if anyone is interested I have a method for allowing e-mails with specific to or from addresses to effectively bypass a policy.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I use this myself as I handle lots of malware samples and I need to be able to send them onto the AV companies and other researchers without the anti-virus policy blocking them. Likewise, I receive new samples from people, and these also need to be able to bypass the anti-virus policy. All other mail gets scanned as normal.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The technique I use could be used for any mercury policy.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Hope this is of interest?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Regards,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="toaster"]

I have created a policy for fpscan.exe version 6 and it seems to work fine.

If anyone wants it, just shout. 

Regards,

Martin 

[/quote]

Martin:

I'd appreciate a copy of your policy. Can you post it here, or email it to me: subelman@markmatrix.com ?

Thanks 

[quote user=&quot;toaster&quot;]&lt;p&gt;I have created a policy for fpscan.exe version 6 and it seems to work fine.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If anyone wants it, just shout.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Regards,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;d appreciate a copy of your policy. Can you post it here, or email it to me: subelman@markmatrix.com ? &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Hi Martin,

Tested the policy, it works fine!

Thanks for helping!

Rene

&lt;P&gt;Hi Martin,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Tested the policy, it works fine!&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Thanks for helping!&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Rene&lt;/P&gt;

To save anyone else e-mailing me for the policy, here it is:

Obviously you'll need to change the paths and policy options to suit your
own needs.

Policy:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type of task: Run a program using a sentinel file
Commandline: c:\f-prot\mailnew.bat ~X ~R ~S
This task should be applied before any filtering rules: TRUE
Action: Save to file and notify a user
Parameter: c:\samples\mail, mo

Mailnew.bat: (Bat/CMD file to run the scanner.)

@echo off
: Rem - %1 is the file to scan %2 is the name of the result file %3 is the
: Rem - sentinel file. The report from the scan is sent to the Result file.
: Rem - If No virus is found then the Result file is deleted prior to
: Rem - deleting the sentinel file. If a virus, or other error is
: Rem - found, then a message indicating the meaning of the return code
: Rem - is tacked on to the end of the result file. Deletion of the sentinel
: Rem - file is the last thing that takes place.
: Rem - Note 1: Some of the error codes should never occur, in this context,
: Rem - but I put them in anyway for documentation purposes, if nothing else.
: Rem - Note 2: There's colons in front of the Rem statements because blank
: Rem - labels process faster than Rem statements (the entire Rem statement
: Rem - is parsed even though it's a comment)
: Rem - No extended batch command features are used so this should work with
: Rem - *any* MS OS.
: Rem
c:\PROGRA~1\FRISKS~1\F-PROT~1\fpscan.exe %1 -s 4 -o %2
If Errorlevel 5 goto err5
If Errorlevel 4 goto err4
If Errorlevel 3 goto err3
If Errorlevel 2 goto err2
If Errorlevel 1 goto err1
Del %2
goto Finished
:Err1
echo !!!!!VIRUS FOUND!!!! >> %2
goto Finished
:Err2
goto Finished
:Err3
goto Finished
:Err4
echo Program terminated via ^C or Esc >> %2
goto Finished
:Err5
echo Program terminated via ^C or Esc >> %2
goto Finished
:Finished
Del %3
exit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

This works fine with the commandline component of F-Prot version 6 for Windows. 

Regards,

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;To save anyone else e-mailing me for the policy, here it is:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Obviously you&#039;ll need to change the paths and policy options to suit your own needs. Policy: ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Type of task: Run a program using a sentinel file Commandline: c:\f-prot\mailnew.bat ~X ~R ~S This task should be applied before any filtering rules: TRUE Action: Save to file and notify a user Parameter: c:\samples\mail, mo ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mailnew.bat: (Bat/CMD file to run the scanner.) -------------------------------------------------------------------------&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;@echo off : Rem - %1 is the file to scan %2 is the name of the result file %3 is the : Rem - sentinel file. The report from the scan is sent to the Result file. : Rem - If No virus is found then the Result file is deleted prior to : Rem - deleting the sentinel file. If a virus, or other error is : Rem - found, then a message indicating the meaning of the return code : Rem - is tacked on to the end of the result file. Deletion of the sentinel : Rem - file is the last thing that takes place. : Rem - Note 1: Some of the error codes should never occur, in this context, : Rem - but I put them in anyway for documentation purposes, if nothing else. : Rem - Note 2: There&#039;s colons in front of the Rem statements because blank : Rem - labels process faster than Rem statements (the entire Rem statement : Rem - is parsed even though it&#039;s a comment) : Rem - No extended batch command features are used so this should work with : Rem - *any* MS OS. : Rem c:\PROGRA~1\FRISKS~1\F-PROT~1\fpscan.exe %1 -s 4 -o %2 If Errorlevel 5 goto err5 If Errorlevel 4 goto err4 If Errorlevel 3 goto err3 If Errorlevel 2 goto err2 If Errorlevel 1 goto err1 Del %2 goto Finished :Err1 echo !!!!!VIRUS FOUND!!!! &amp;gt;&amp;gt; %2 goto Finished :Err2 echo !!!!!VIRUS FOUND!!!! &amp;gt;&amp;gt; %2 goto Finished :Err3 echo !!!!!VIRUS FOUND!!!! &amp;gt;&amp;gt; %2 goto Finished :Err4 echo Program terminated via ^C or Esc &amp;gt;&amp;gt; %2 goto Finished :Err5 echo Program terminated via ^C or Esc &amp;gt;&amp;gt; %2 goto Finished :Finished Del %3 exit &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;This works fine with the commandline component of F-Prot version 6 for Windows.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Regards,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

On the Mercury/32 machine do I need to tell F-Prot to exclude any directories from scanning?

&lt;p&gt;On the Mercury/32 machine do I need to tell F-Prot to exclude any directories from scanning?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft