Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Feature request for the tray minimization process

Hi !

Please, I do not see how constructive comments can spoil anything [:)]. Now, what I had in mind was more directed to users belonging to a network which is often the case in companies and the more and more with individuals at their homes. Let's take the case of the companie, it may be very well the case that there is data on your hard drive that the other users may want to use while you are at lunch, or they may want to put a big file on your folder before leaving to lunch themselves, therefore shutting down your entire station does not seem very appropriate. Of course, if you have a laptop, you can always shut it down or even bring it with you, but I do not think that everyone has a laptop. If you take individuals also, assume you have several movies (backup copies of course) on one hard drive, and that for some reason you have to leave, then you can lock Pegasus Mail and leave the rest "open" so that the movies remain accessible. Anyway, the goal was to suggest an alternative to accounts password-protection, and my idea seemed simpler to implement since we have more or less the same with screensavers under windows. Also, there was concerns relating to this issue which were expressed here or on the mailing list. Of course, this is a rough idea, and I am sure that if it is accepted, then David and the community will make it something much more clever than what I suggested.

Cheers !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>Please, I do not see how constructive comments can spoil anything [:)]. Now, what I had in mind was more directed to users belonging to a network which is often the case in companies and the more and more with individuals at their homes. Let's take the case of the companie, it may be very well the case that there is data on your hard drive that the other users may want to use while you are at lunch, or they may want to put a big file on your folder before leaving to lunch themselves, therefore shutting down your entire station does not seem very appropriate. Of course, if you have a laptop, you can always shut it down or even bring it with you, but I do not think that everyone has a laptop. If you take individuals also, assume you have several movies (backup copies of course) on one hard drive, and that for some reason you have to leave, then you can lock Pegasus Mail and leave the rest "open" so that the movies remain accessible. Anyway, the goal was to suggest an alternative to accounts password-protection, and my idea seemed simpler to implement since we have more or less the same with screensavers under windows. Also, there was concerns relating to this issue which were expressed here or on the mailing list. Of course, this is a rough idea, and I am sure that if it is accepted, then David and the community will make it something much more clever than what I suggested. </p><p>Cheers !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

Hi all !

Okay, I have the following idea that maybe could replace, in a way, some requests about security concerning the access of the accounts. Indeed, in Pegasus Mail contrary to Foxmail, the accounts are not password-protected, although I think this feature is planned on David's list. What I suggest is the following : instead of password-protecting the accounts, why not password-protect the tray icon once Pegasus Mail is reduced (obviously in the tray [:)] ? The feature could be implemented as follows : there could be a tab in some sub-menus of the options asking us (1) if we want to enable tray-password-protection and (2) if the answer to (1) is "Yes", then to provide a password. Now, it would be really tiresome to have to type the password everytime one double-clicks on the tray if one uses Pegasus Mail for a long period, therefore we could add the following feature : by right-clicking on the tray icon, we could have to new possibilities "Enable password protection" and "Disable password protection". Now here is how the thing could work : I go into the options, tick the enbale box in the hypothetical new security tab, then choose a password. Then after working for some time, I reduce Pegasus Mail into the tray, but I do not intent to leave the room or my desk, thus I do not want to password-protect the tray icon, so I right-click on the icon and choose "Disable password protection", and then there is a prompt which asks me the password, which I provide and then the password-protection is disabled. Now suppose that it is lunch, so I have to leave my desk, then I right-click on the tray icon and choose "Enable password protection". Again, there is a prompt asking the password which I provide and then I go out peacefully to enjoy my meal. Now what if someone tries to open the program ? After double-clicking on the tray icon, there will be a prompt asking the password which of course she does not know. So suppose that she terminate Pegasus Mail by using CTRL-ALT-DELETE, and after that she runs Pegasus Mail again, then what should happen is that once the tray-password-protection has been enabled, Pegasus Mail will automatically starts reduced in tray and of course with the protection still on. It will launch normally only if the "Disable" option has been activated or if the whole password feature has not been activated.

This way I think, there is no need to password-protect the accounts. I do not know if this is easy or difficult, so I can only submit the idea and wait to see wether it is accepted or not (of course, I hope it will).

Cheers and Happy Holidays !

Ginhead.

<p>Hi all !</p><p>Okay, I have the following idea that maybe could replace, in a way, some requests about security concerning the access of the accounts. Indeed, in Pegasus Mail contrary to Foxmail, the accounts are not password-protected, although I think this feature is planned on David's list. What I suggest is the following : instead of password-protecting the accounts, why not password-protect the tray icon once Pegasus Mail is reduced (obviously in the tray [:)] ? The feature could be implemented as follows : there could be a tab in some sub-menus of the options asking us (1) if we want to enable tray-password-protection and (2) if the answer to (1) is "Yes", then to provide a password. Now, it would be really tiresome to have to type the password everytime one double-clicks on the tray if one uses Pegasus Mail for a long period, therefore we could add the following feature : by right-clicking on the tray icon, we could have to new possibilities "Enable password protection" and "Disable password protection". Now here is how the thing could work : I go into the options, tick the enbale box in the hypothetical new security tab, then choose a password. Then after working for some time, I reduce Pegasus Mail into the tray, but I do not intent to leave the room or my desk, thus I do not want to password-protect the tray icon, so I right-click on the icon and choose "Disable password protection", and then there is a prompt which asks me the password, which I provide and then the password-protection is disabled. Now suppose that it is lunch, so I have to leave my desk, then I right-click on the tray icon and choose "Enable password protection". Again, there is a prompt asking the password which I provide and then I go out peacefully to enjoy my meal. Now what if someone tries to open the program ? After double-clicking on the tray icon, there will be a prompt asking the password which of course she does not know. So suppose that she terminate Pegasus Mail by using CTRL-ALT-DELETE, and after that she runs Pegasus Mail again, then what should happen is that once the tray-password-protection has been enabled, Pegasus Mail will automatically starts reduced in tray and of course with the protection still on. It will launch normally only if the "Disable" option has been activated or if the whole password feature has not been activated.</p><p>This way I think, there is no need to password-protect the accounts. I do not know if this is easy or difficult, so I can only submit the idea and wait to see wether it is accepted or not (of course, I hope it will).</p><p>  Cheers and Happy Holidays !</p><p>Ginhead.  </p>

Ginhead, interesting idea and I certainly do not want to spoil it, but...

I use my private-owned laptop at work, and whenever I leave my desk (which is in a room where many people work), I just quickly press CTRL-ALT-DEL and hit ENTER -- this will lock the whole computer!

It seems to me that you are only concerned about security for PMail, but if you leave for lunch as you propose, would you really want to have your system open for anyone to explore your harddrive? Or surf to weird internet pages using your machine?

Just 2 cents!

lazy

Ginhead, interesting idea and I certainly do not want to spoil it, but... I use my private-owned laptop at work, and whenever I leave my desk (which is in a room where many people work), I just quickly press CTRL-ALT-DEL and hit ENTER -- this will lock the whole computer! It seems to me that you are only concerned about security for PMail, but if you leave for lunch as you propose, would you really want to have your system open for anyone to explore your harddrive? Or surf to weird internet pages using your machine? Just 2 cents! lazy
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft