Community Discussions and Support
Problem with looping error messages

That seems to have done it!

Thanks!

Andy.

<p>That seems to have done it!</p><p> </p><p>Thanks!</p><p> </p><p>Andy.</p><p> </p>

A user here is experiencing a problem with looping mesages.

He is receiving spam, and Mercury is set up to forward his mail to his home address.

We're using a relaying client to send mail.

So - he receives a message with a dodgy attachment - in this case 'document.zip'. Mercury attempts to forward that to his home address, but the relaying server says '552 we don't accept mail with such content'.

Mercury then generates an error message to the user, from Postmaster, saying that message failed for the 552 reason and - crucially - the content of the message is attached.

This error message is then forwarded to the user's home address, but again the relaying server rejects it with 552, another error message is generated and so on.

The user's local PC then fills up with hundreds of error messages, each with an attachment of ever-increasing size. 

How can we break this chain please? Is is possible to prevent Mercury from appending the original message content?

Thanks

Andy.

<p>A user here is experiencing a problem with looping mesages.</p><p> He is receiving spam, and Mercury is set up to forward his mail to his home address.</p><p> </p><p>We're using a relaying client to send mail.</p><p>  So - he receives a message with a dodgy attachment - in this case 'document.zip'. Mercury attempts to forward that to his home address, but the relaying server says '552 we don't accept mail with such content'.</p><p>Mercury then generates an error message to the user, from Postmaster, saying that message failed for the 552 reason and - crucially - the content of the message is attached.</p><p>This error message is then forwarded to the user's home address, but again the relaying server rejects it with 552, another error message is generated and so on.</p><p>The user's local PC then fills up with hundreds of error messages, each with an attachment of ever-increasing size. </p><p> How can we break this chain please? Is is possible to prevent Mercury from appending the original message content?</p><p>Thanks</p><p> </p><p>Andy.</p><p> </p>

There is a setting under Core Module configuration, General:
"For delivery failures, return XX lines of the message"

If you set this to 0 no part of the original message will be included. This is a global setting, though, so it will affect all users.

/Rolf 

<p>There is a setting under Core Module configuration, General: "For delivery failures, return XX lines of the message"</p><p>If you set this to 0 no part of the original message will be included. This is a global setting, though, so it will affect all users.</p><p>/Rolf </p>

You have to my memory, two choices: As Rolf says, only return a subset of the lines, or 2) delete failure.mer and you will not send out any failure messages at all.

You have to my memory, two choices: As Rolf says, only return a subset of the lines, or 2) delete failure.mer and you will not send out any failure messages at all.

Thanks - but after setting lines of message to zero, the offending attachment is still attached to the error message. Is there no way of telling Mercury not to attach files to an error message?

I would still like to receive messages telling me there's been a failure though.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

A.

<p>Thanks - but after setting lines of message to zero, the offending attachment is still attached to the error message. Is there no way of telling Mercury not to attach files to an error message?</p><p>I would still like to receive messages telling me there's been a failure though.</p><p> </p><p>Any ideas please?</p><p>Thanks</p><p>A.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

OK, then try removing this part of the failure.mer file (in the MERCURY\MERCURY directory):

Your mail message (or the first part of it) is being returned to you below.

Should you need assistance, please mail postmaster@~n.

--~Y
Content-type: Message/RFC822
Content-description: Contents of original mail message

~G

--~Y--

Mercury isn't aware of what may be an attachment at this time, it just returns a number of lines from the message, but by removing this it won't try to include anything.

/Rolf 

<p>OK, then try removing this part of the failure.mer file (in the MERCURY\MERCURY directory):</p><blockquote><p><i>Your mail message (or the first part of it) is being returned to you below. Should you need assistance, please mail postmaster@~n. --~Y Content-type: Message/RFC822 Content-description: Contents of original mail message ~G --~Y--</i></p></blockquote><p>Mercury isn't aware of what may be an attachment at this time, it just returns a number of lines from the message, but by removing this it won't try to include anything.</p><p>/Rolf </p><blockquote><p> </p></blockquote>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft