Community Discussions and Support
running Pegasus under wine

[quote user="inksi"]What we have done is to rename the IERenderer.dll and then provide a symlink to bearhtml.dll with the name IERenderer.dll so that bearhtml is called by default.[/quote]

I'm surpised you don't see any side effects of doing so. Instead you should rather rename or remove the file IERenderer.fff.

[quote user="inksi"]It would appear to be Wine not handling IERenderer correctly. It does not have a high priority despite a number of people having had issues. The workaround is not difficult but I suppose it does deprive Pegasus of some functionality. (?)[/quote]

It's actually an issue with WINE's IE support for embedding IE's rendering machine into other applications.

[quote user="inksi"]It would be good to see a specific Pegasus page on running under Wine, I cannot see that we are going to get a native Linux version ever and a little 'official' documentation on this issue could go a long way to demystifying it. Wine is not that complex but less capable users might balk at the issues mentioned above, either it will go or it won't would be the attitude of many.[/quote]

People using WINE could try to create a WIKI entry, AFAIK only a few people of PM's beta tester team are actually using WINE. IOW: I don't think WINE is officially supported other than on a voluntary basis.

<p>[quote user="inksi"]What we have done is to rename the IERenderer.dll and then provide a symlink to bearhtml.dll with the name IERenderer.dll so that bearhtml is called by default.[/quote]</p><p>I'm surpised you don't see any side effects of doing so. Instead you should rather rename or remove the file IERenderer.fff.</p><p>[quote user="inksi"]It would appear to be Wine not handling IERenderer correctly. It does not have a high priority despite a number of people having had issues. The workaround is not difficult but I suppose it does deprive Pegasus of some functionality. (?)[/quote]</p><p>It's actually an issue with WINE's IE support for embedding IE's rendering machine into other applications.</p><p>[quote user="inksi"]It would be good to see a specific Pegasus page on running under Wine, I cannot see that we are going to get a native Linux version ever and a little 'official' documentation on this issue could go a long way to demystifying it. Wine is not that complex but less capable users might balk at the issues mentioned above, either it will go or it won't would be the attitude of many.[/quote]</p><p>People using WINE could try to create a <a href="http://wiki.pmail.com/index.php?title=Main_Page" mce_href="http://wiki.pmail.com/index.php?title=Main_Page" target="_blank">WIKI</a> entry, AFAIK only a few people of PM's beta tester team are actually using WINE. IOW: I don't think WINE is officially supported other than on a voluntary basis.</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Hello,

I am running latest recently installed Pmail 4.63 with Linux Mint14 under Wine 1.4.1. I have got to the point where we have it up and running, but with a number of niggling issues.

The one to attend to now is that is starts up with 2 x "IERenderer" errors and a winPM-32 "Exception in safe call method" error sandwiched in between. Saying OK to the three of them leaves me in Pegasus which runs ok and will send and receive.

If anyone else here is running this sort of setup, any ideas please?

regards & thanks

Ian

<p>Hello,</p><p>I am running latest recently installed Pmail 4.63 with Linux Mint14 under Wine 1.4.1. I have got to the point where we have it up and running, but with a number of niggling issues.</p><p>The one to attend to now is that is starts up with 2 x "IERenderer" errors and a winPM-32 "Exception in safe call method" error sandwiched in between. Saying OK to the three of them leaves me in Pegasus which runs ok and will send and receive. </p><p>If anyone else here is running this sort of setup, any ideas please? </p><p>regards & thanks </p><p>Ian </p>

I disabled IERenderer but this does not appear to solve the issue.

Ian

<p>I disabled IERenderer but this does not appear to solve the issue.</p><p> Ian </p>

[quote user="inksi"]I disabled IERenderer but this does not appear to solve the issue.[/quote]

Since I don't use WINE I can't tell whether this works, but on Windows you can uninstall IER completely via its uninstall command on the respective Control Panel screen (translated from German it's called Programs and Functions on recent  Windows versions).

<p>[quote user="inksi"]I disabled IERenderer but this does not appear to solve the issue.[/quote]</p><p>Since I don't use WINE I can't tell whether this works, but on Windows you can uninstall IER completely via its uninstall command on the respective Control Panel screen (translated from German it's called <em>Programs and Functions</em> on recent  Windows versions). </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Thanks, Michael.

No, it gets installed separately and there is no instance of Windows installed.

One of the other issues is that the help causes a crash, so I cannot look at the command-line options. I was wondering if there was a switch to disable IERenderer at that level.

I find nothing substantial on the Wine site, but am just going to post to their mailing list to see if they have any accumulated experience with Pegasus..

I will revert.

Ian

<p>Thanks, Michael.</p><p>No, it gets installed separately and there is no instance of Windows installed.</p><p> One of the other issues is that the help causes a crash, so I cannot look at the command-line options. I was wondering if there was a switch to disable IERenderer at that level.</p><p>I find nothing substantial on the Wine site, but am just going to post to their mailing list to see if they have any accumulated experience with Pegasus..</p><p>I will revert.</p><p>Ian </p>

[quote user="inksi"]No, it gets installed separately and there is no instance of Windows installed.[/quote]

I know, but since they try to emulate Windows there must be a similar feature allowing you to install and uninstall programs like done on native Windows systems.

[quote user="inksi"]One of the other issues is that the help causes a crash, so I cannot look at the command-line options. I was wondering if there was a switch to disable IERenderer at that level. I find nothing substantial on the Wine site, but am just going to post to their mailing list to see if they have any accumulated experience with Pegasus.[/quote]

We had some issue with WINE when IER was rather new and I contacted the WINE people about it for implementing a workaround. They replied that I should not try to do so but rather file a bug report so they can fix it themselves, i.e. they explicitely didn't want us to do anything about it. IOW: Complaining to the WINE people is the proper way to go according to their own words!

Nevertheless: If there's a feature for uninstalling Pegasus Mail (like any other Windows software) you should find a similar way for uninstalling IER (see below):

<p>[quote user="inksi"]No, it gets installed separately and there is no instance of Windows installed.[/quote]</p><p>I know, but since they try to emulate Windows there must be a similar feature allowing you to install and uninstall programs like done on native Windows systems.</p><p>[quote user="inksi"]One of the other issues is that the help causes a crash, so I cannot look at the command-line options. I was wondering if there was a switch to disable IERenderer at that level. I find nothing substantial on the Wine site, but am just going to post to their mailing list to see if they have any accumulated experience with Pegasus.[/quote]</p><p>We had some issue with WINE when IER was rather new and I contacted the WINE people about it for implementing a workaround. They replied that I should not try to do so but rather file a bug report so they can fix it themselves, i.e. they explicitely didn't want us to do anything about it. IOW: Complaining to the WINE people is the proper way to go according to their own words!</p><p>Nevertheless: If there's a feature for uninstalling Pegasus Mail (like any other Windows software) you should find a similar way for uninstalling IER (see below):</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Michael,

What we have done is to rename the IERenderer.dll and then provide a symlink to bearhtml.dll with the name IERenderer.dll so that bearhtml is called by default.

It would appear to be Wine not handling IERenderer correctly. It does not have a high priority despite a number of people having had issues. The workaround is not difficult but I suppose it does deprive Pegasus of some functionality. (?)

Not suggested would be the alternative of using a slightly earlier version of Pegasus such as  4.4x (ie last edition without IERenderer) which i still have and which I will try on another machine and then report back here.

I have been with Linux for years and we are making the last moves now to handle legacy windows programmes. There really is no email client in Linux to equal Pegasus (although others might not agree) which is why we want to give it a good run under Wine and not have to change unless we are forced to.

It would be good to see a specific Pegasus page on running under Wine, I cannot see that we are going to get a native Linux version ever and a little 'official' documentation on this issue could go a long way to demystifying it. Wine is not that complex but less capable users might balk at the issues mentioned above, either it will go or it won't would be the attitude of many.

thanks

Ian

<p>Michael,</p><p>What we have done is to rename the IERenderer.dll and then provide a symlink to bearhtml.dll with the name IERenderer.dll so that bearhtml is called by default. </p><p>It would appear to be Wine not handling IERenderer correctly. It does not have a high priority despite a number of people having had issues. The workaround is not difficult but I suppose it does deprive Pegasus of some functionality. (?) </p><p> Not suggested would be the alternative of using a slightly earlier version of Pegasus such as  4.4x (ie last edition without IERenderer) which i still have and which I will try on another machine and then report back here.</p><p>I have been with Linux for years and we are making the last moves now to handle legacy windows programmes. There really is no email client in Linux to equal Pegasus (although others might not agree) which is why we want to give it a good run under Wine and not have to change unless we are forced to. </p><p>It would be good to see a specific Pegasus page on running under Wine, I cannot see that we are going to get a native Linux version ever and a little 'official' documentation on this issue could go a long way to demystifying it. Wine is not that complex but less capable users might balk at the issues mentioned above, either it will go or it won't would be the attitude of many. </p><p>thanks</p><p>Ian </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft