Community Discussions and Support
How is the From Header Formed? (or I don't want to switch to Outlook....)

[quote user="gregrshaw"]

Well with my Mercury/32 setup I can send via a UDG using the ~r and the mail gets queued with the "Reply TO:" address setting so the From address is changes for each identity. 

- Could you elaborate more on the UDG and how it works?

[/quote]

When running Pegasus Mail without Netware support a User Defined Gateway is used to tell Pegasus Mail where to put the 101 files for Mercury/32 to process.  It's managed with pconfig.exe and looks like the following:

Gateway name :  MERCURY
           *New mail path :
   Is ? a program to run? :  N
    *New mail search mask :
      *Outgoing mail path :  \\thomas\maxtor\MERCURY\QUEUE
   *Run for outgoing mail :
         *Filename format :  ~d~d.101
  Run to validate address :
    *Reply address format : ["~p" <~r>                   ]
  Accepts SMTP addresses? :  Y
  Simple message headers? :  'Glue' headers
    UUEncode attachments? :  Y
          Burst messages? :  N    Gateway processes BCC? : N
      Strip gateway name? :  Y
  Force all mail through? :  Y

I use the specified "Reply address format" so everyone can set the From: address they want to use for an identity but changing the "Reply To:" address for each identity.  I can't remember how they work when there is both the Netware queue spec and the UDG.  One will take precedence.

[quote user=&quot;gregrshaw&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Well with my Mercury/32 setup I can send via a UDG using the ~r and the mail gets queued with the &quot;Reply TO:&quot; address setting so the From address is changes for each identity.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;-&amp;nbsp;Could you elaborate more on the UDG and how it works?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;When running Pegasus Mail without Netware support a User Defined Gateway is used to tell Pegasus Mail where to put the 101 files for Mercury/32 to process.&amp;nbsp; It&#039;s managed with pconfig.exe and looks like the following:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Gateway name :&amp;nbsp; MERCURY &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; *New mail path : &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Is ? a program to run? :&amp;nbsp; N &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; *New mail search mask : &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; *Outgoing mail path :&amp;nbsp; \\thomas\maxtor\MERCURY\QUEUE &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; *Run for outgoing mail : &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; *Filename format :&amp;nbsp; ~d~d.101 &amp;nbsp; Run to validate address : &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; *Reply address format : [&quot;~p&quot; &amp;lt;~r&amp;gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; ] &amp;nbsp; Accepts SMTP addresses? :&amp;nbsp; Y &amp;nbsp; Simple message headers? :&amp;nbsp; &#039;Glue&#039; headers &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; UUEncode attachments? :&amp;nbsp; Y &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Burst messages? :&amp;nbsp; N&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Gateway processes BCC? : N &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Strip gateway name? :&amp;nbsp; Y &amp;nbsp; Force all mail through? :&amp;nbsp; Y I use the specified &quot;Reply address format&quot; so everyone can set the From: address they want to use for an identity but changing the &quot;Reply To:&quot; address for each identity.&amp;nbsp; I can&#039;t remember how they work when there is both the Netware queue spec and the UDG.&amp;nbsp; One will take precedence. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

We are running Mercury/32 4.01b.  Mercury connects to our ISP using MercuryC (SMTP) & MercuryD (POP3).  We are NDS aware.  Using mostly Pegasus 4.31 on XP Pro's.

All users email at our ISP is forwarded to a single email account (my.mail@wcaslab.com) , Mercury connects to this box and downloads all email.

Our parent company uses Outlook with Exchange servers.  They want us to use the parent companies domain name in our emails, they do not want our clients to see the @wcaslab.com in emails.

In Pegasus I can set our Reply-To address to the @parentco.com so when the client replies it auto-populates with the @parentco.com format.  We have an alias server that intercepts email and redirects it to the @wcaslab.com.  When I download it from Mercury I can use the Delivered-To header to get it to the correct recipient.

The one problem I have is that, as described, in the received email clients see From: greg.shaw@wcaslab.com

Is ther any way to have them see greg.shaw@parentco.com ???  Set up some sort of batch file that will replace the domain names before Mercury sends it?  An NDS setting?

I'm not sure how Mercury or Pegasus gets the wcaslab.com part (especially with NDS involved).  If I turn off Mercury, send an email, then go to the NDS queue folder on the server, I can change it manually there.  The core log just shows a non-local to non-local delivery.

It's either figuring something out or 'goodbye Pegasus/Mercury' and 'hello Outlook'....

Thanks!!!!

&lt;P&gt;We are running Mercury/32 4.01b.&amp;nbsp; Mercury connects to our ISP using MercuryC (SMTP) &amp;amp; MercuryD (POP3).&amp;nbsp; We are NDS aware.&amp;nbsp; Using mostly Pegasus 4.31 on XP Pro&#039;s.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;All users email at our ISP is forwarded&amp;nbsp;to a single email account (&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:my.mail@wcaslab.com&quot;&gt;&lt;FONT color=#02469b&gt;my.mail@wcaslab.com&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/A&gt;) , Mercury connects to this box and downloads all email.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Our parent company uses Outlook with&amp;nbsp;Exchange servers.&amp;nbsp; They want us to use the parent companies domain name in our emails, they do not want our clients to see the @wcaslab.com in emails.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;In Pegasus I can set our&amp;nbsp;Reply-To address to the @parentco.com so when the client replies it auto-populates with the @parentco.com format.&amp;nbsp; We have an alias server that intercepts email and redirects it to the @wcaslab.com.&amp;nbsp; When I download it from Mercury I can use the Delivered-To header to get it to the correct recipient.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;The one problem I have is that, as described, in the received email clients see From: &lt;A href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@wcaslab.com&quot;&gt;greg.shaw@wcaslab.com&lt;/A&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Is ther any way to have them see &lt;A href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@parentco.com&quot;&gt;greg.shaw@parentco.com&lt;/A&gt; ???&amp;nbsp; Set up some sort of batch file that will replace the domain names before Mercury sends it?&amp;nbsp; An NDS setting?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I&#039;m not sure how Mercury or Pegasus gets the wcaslab.com part (especially with NDS involved).&amp;nbsp; If I turn off Mercury, send an email, then go to the NDS queue folder on the server, I can change it manually there.&amp;nbsp; The core log just shows a non-local to non-local delivery.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;It&#039;s either figuring something out or &#039;goodbye Pegasus/Mercury&#039; and &#039;hello Outlook&#039;....&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Thanks!!!!&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="gregrshaw"]

We are running Mercury/32 4.01b.  Mercury connects to our ISP using MercuryC (SMTP) & MercuryD (POP3).  We are NDS aware.  Using mostly Pegasus 4.31 on XP Pro's.

All users email at our ISP is forwarded to a single email account (my.mail@wcaslab.com) , Mercury connects to this box and downloads all email.

Our parent company uses Outlook with Exchange servers.  They want us to use the parent companies domain name in our emails, they do not want our clients to see the @wcaslab.com in emails.

In Pegasus I can set our Reply-To address to the @parentco.com so when the client replies it auto-populates with the @parentco.com format.  We have an alias server that intercepts email and redirects it to the @wcaslab.com.  When I download it from Mercury I can use the Delivered-To header to get it to the correct recipient.

The one problem I have is that, as described, in the received email clients see From: greg.shaw@wcaslab.com

Is ther any way to have them see greg.shaw@parentco.com ???  Set up some sort of batch file that will replace the domain names before Mercury sends it?  An NDS setting?

I'm not sure how Mercury or Pegasus gets the wcaslab.com part (especially with NDS involved).  If I turn off Mercury, send an email, then go to the NDS queue folder on the server, I can change it manually there.  The core log just shows a non-local to non-local delivery.

It's either figuring something out or 'goodbye Pegasus/Mercury' and 'hello Outlook'....

Thanks!!!!

[/quote]

With Netware the host name used with the username is set in PConfig (bindery)  & Nconfig (NDS).  Run NConfig.exe from the program directory and checkout the SMTP Internet Mail Interfaces.  This can be overriden in the Pegasus Mail setup.  You can use the Tools | Internet options to both set the sending server and email address to override the lan mailer. Either of these will allow you to set the host name when sending.

[quote user=&quot;gregrshaw&quot;]&lt;p&gt;We are running Mercury/32 4.01b.&amp;nbsp; Mercury connects to our ISP using MercuryC (SMTP) &amp;amp; MercuryD (POP3).&amp;nbsp; We are NDS aware.&amp;nbsp; Using mostly Pegasus 4.31 on XP Pro&#039;s.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;All users email at our ISP is forwarded&amp;nbsp;to a single email account (&lt;a href=&quot;mailto:my.mail@wcaslab.com&quot; mce_href=&quot;mailto:my.mail@wcaslab.com&quot;&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#02469b&quot;&gt;my.mail@wcaslab.com&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/a&gt;) , Mercury connects to this box and downloads all email.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Our parent company uses Outlook with&amp;nbsp;Exchange servers.&amp;nbsp; They want us to use the parent companies domain name in our emails, they do not want our clients to see the @wcaslab.com in emails.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;In Pegasus I can set our&amp;nbsp;Reply-To address to the @parentco.com so when the client replies it auto-populates with the @parentco.com format.&amp;nbsp; We have an alias server that intercepts email and redirects it to the @wcaslab.com.&amp;nbsp; When I download it from Mercury I can use the Delivered-To header to get it to the correct recipient.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;The one problem I have is that, as described, in the received email clients see From: &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@wcaslab.com&quot; mce_href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@wcaslab.com&quot;&gt;greg.shaw@wcaslab.com&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Is ther any way to have them see &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@parentco.com&quot; mce_href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@parentco.com&quot;&gt;greg.shaw@parentco.com&lt;/a&gt; ???&amp;nbsp; Set up some sort of batch file that will replace the domain names before Mercury sends it?&amp;nbsp; An NDS setting?&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;I&#039;m not sure how Mercury or Pegasus gets the wcaslab.com part (especially with NDS involved).&amp;nbsp; If I turn off Mercury, send an email, then go to the NDS queue folder on the server, I can change it manually there.&amp;nbsp; The core log just shows a non-local to non-local delivery.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;It&#039;s either figuring something out or &#039;goodbye Pegasus/Mercury&#039; and &#039;hello Outlook&#039;....&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Thanks!!!!&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;With Netware the host name used with the username is set in PConfig (bindery)&amp;nbsp; &amp;amp; Nconfig (NDS).&amp;nbsp; Run NConfig.exe from the program directory and checkout the SMTP Internet Mail Interfaces.&amp;nbsp; This can be overriden in the Pegasus Mail setup.&amp;nbsp; You can use the Tools | Internet options to both set the sending server and email address to override the lan mailer. Either of these will allow you to set the host name when sending.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

So I see our domain name (wcaslab.com) in NConfig.    Switching this does not change the email From address.  Also, for each user I have to enter the synonym (greg.shaw@wcaslab.com for instance) or I get errors.

I tested using the Internet Options in Pegasus.  I entered the My Internet Email Address is: greg.shaw@parentco.com  SMTP settings to a users email box at our ISP and had to enable 'use in preference to LAN mailer for Internet mail'.  This gave me the desired From address (greg.shaw@parentco.com).  The downside I see is 1) now there is no logging of outgoing messages  2)  the burden of queueing is now at the users desktop, they will have to wait while that 3MB attachment is sent  3) I can't filter (copy, forward) any outgoing messages anymore.

So I think this is my only option?  I guess that at Mercury I'm either wcaslab.com or parentco.com, not both.

Thanks for your help.

&lt;P&gt;So I see our domain name (wcaslab.com) in NConfig.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Switching this does not change the email From address.&amp;nbsp; Also, for each user I have to enter the synonym (&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@wcaslab.com&quot;&gt;greg.shaw@wcaslab.com&lt;/A&gt; for instance) or I get errors.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;I tested using the Internet Options in Pegasus.&amp;nbsp; I entered the&amp;nbsp;My Internet Email Address is: &lt;A href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@parentco.com&quot;&gt;greg.shaw@parentco.com&lt;/A&gt; &amp;nbsp;SMTP settings to a users email box at our ISP and had to enable &#039;use in preference to LAN mailer for Internet mail&#039;.&amp;nbsp; This gave me the desired From address (&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@parentco.com&quot;&gt;greg.shaw@parentco.com&lt;/A&gt;).&amp;nbsp; The downside I see is 1) now there is no logging of outgoing messages&amp;nbsp; 2)&amp;nbsp; the burden of queueing is now at the users desktop, they will have to wait while that 3MB attachment is sent&amp;nbsp; 3) I can&#039;t filter (copy, forward) any outgoing messages anymore.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;So I think this is my only option?&amp;nbsp; I guess that at Mercury I&#039;m either wcaslab.com or parentco.com, not both.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;Thanks for your help.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="gregrshaw"]

So I see our domain name (wcaslab.com) in NConfig.    Switching this does not change the email From address.  Also, for each user I have to enter the synonym (greg.shaw@wcaslab.com for instance) or I get errors.

Ok NDS does this differently than bindery and I do not do NDS.  ;-)  There is someplace within NDS where the domain is set when you are not using synonyms and that needs to be changed. Maybe one of the NDS users can chime in here with the answer.

I tested using the Internet Options in Pegasus.  I entered the My Internet Email Address is: greg.shaw@parentco.com  SMTP settings to a users email box at our ISP and had to enable 'use in preference to LAN mailer for Internet mail'. 

Why not simply point at the SMTP host of Mercury/32 so that is still goes through Mercury/32 core.  They could use the option to send immediately and there will be no queuing at all.  

This gave me the desired From address (greg.shaw@parentco.com).  The downside I see is 1) now there is no logging of outgoing messages  2)  the burden of queueing is now at the users desktop, they will have to wait while that 3MB attachment is sent  3) I can't filter (copy, forward) any outgoing messages anymore.

So I think this is my only option?  I guess that at Mercury I'm either wcaslab.com or parentco.com, not both.

Well with my Mercury/32 setup I can send via a UDG using the ~r and the mail gets queued with the "Reply TO:" address setting so the From address is changes for each identity. 

Thanks for your help.

[/quote]

[quote user=&quot;gregrshaw&quot;]&lt;p&gt;So I see our domain name (wcaslab.com) in NConfig.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Switching this does not change the email From address.&amp;nbsp; Also, for each user I have to enter the synonym (&lt;a href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@wcaslab.com&quot; mce_href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@wcaslab.com&quot;&gt;greg.shaw@wcaslab.com&lt;/a&gt; for instance) or I get errors.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Ok NDS does this differently than bindery and I do not do NDS.&amp;nbsp; ;-)&amp;nbsp; There is someplace within NDS where the domain is set when you are not using synonyms and that needs to be changed. Maybe one of the NDS users can chime in here with the answer.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;I tested using the Internet Options in Pegasus.&amp;nbsp; I entered the&amp;nbsp;My Internet Email Address is: &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@parentco.com&quot; mce_href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@parentco.com&quot;&gt;greg.shaw@parentco.com&lt;/a&gt; &amp;nbsp;SMTP settings to a users email box at our ISP and had to enable &#039;use in preference to LAN mailer for Internet mail&#039;.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Why not simply point at the SMTP host of Mercury/32 so that is still goes through Mercury/32 core.&amp;nbsp; They could use the option to send immediately and there will be no queuing at all. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;This gave me the desired From address (&lt;a href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@parentco.com&quot; mce_href=&quot;mailto:greg.shaw@parentco.com&quot;&gt;greg.shaw@parentco.com&lt;/a&gt;).&amp;nbsp; The downside I see is 1) now there is no logging of outgoing messages&amp;nbsp; 2)&amp;nbsp; the burden of queueing is now at the users desktop, they will have to wait while that 3MB attachment is sent&amp;nbsp; 3) I can&#039;t filter (copy, forward) any outgoing messages anymore.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;So I think this is my only option?&amp;nbsp; I guess that at Mercury I&#039;m either wcaslab.com or parentco.com, not both.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Well with my Mercury/32 setup I can send via a UDG using the ~r and the mail gets queued with the &quot;Reply TO:&quot; address setting so the From address is changes for each identity.&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;Thanks for your help. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

- Could you elaborate more on the UDG and how it works?

&lt;P&gt;Well with my Mercury/32 setup I can send via a UDG using the ~r and the mail gets queued with the &quot;Reply TO:&quot; address setting so the From address is changes for each identity.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;-&amp;nbsp;Could you elaborate more on the UDG and how it works?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft