Community Discussions and Support
OwnCloud / CardDAV /Sync addressbook

You might be interested in a beta version of my program Pmadrvcf, which converts Pegasus Mail address books into Vcards. You can download it from 

http://www3.telus.net/public/irelam/pmadrvcf.zip

Martin 

<p>You might be interested in a beta version of my program Pmadrvcf, which converts Pegasus Mail address books into Vcards. You can download it from </p><p>http://www3.telus.net/public/irelam/pmadrvcf.zip</p><p>Martin </p>

Hi,

i'm in the process of setting up my own owncloud server to be able to synchronize my mails, addressbook and calendar between my PC and my smartphone(in my case android) without giving all my privat life away to some global surveillance monster. Email should work using IMAP with Pegasus but addressbook looks difficult. I know i could use Thunderbird but as a longterm Pegasus user i want to give it a chance. 

Owncloud uses the CardDAV protocol to synchronize addressbook entries. Ideally this would be an automatic synchronization. If not possible i might need to export and import but this is cumbersome and will force some compromises like adding new entries on one side only.

Also i'm not yet fixed on Owncloud, any server that runs on a small linux server (RasPI) and does the job might be fine.

Does anyone in the Pegasus community uses such a setup or something similar or do you have any recommendations how to accomplish this with Pegasus?

Many thanks in advance.

<p>Hi,</p><p>i'm in the process of setting up my own owncloud server to be able to synchronize my mails, addressbook and calendar between my PC and my smartphone(in my case android) without giving all my privat life away to some global surveillance monster. Email should work using IMAP with Pegasus but addressbook looks difficult. I know i could use Thunderbird but as a longterm Pegasus user i want to give it a chance. </p><p>Owncloud uses the CardDAV protocol to synchronize addressbook entries. Ideally this would be an automatic synchronization. If not possible i might need to export and import but this is cumbersome and will force some compromises like adding new entries on one side only.</p><p>Also i'm not yet fixed on Owncloud, any server that runs on a small linux server (RasPI) and does the job might be fine.</p><p>Does anyone in the Pegasus community uses such a setup or something similar or do you have any recommendations how to accomplish this with Pegasus?</p><p>Many thanks in advance.</p>

Hello,

I'm running CloudStation on my Synology NAS. I use it partially for email. That is, I'm using the Add mailbox to list function to transfer mail I receive at work to my local disk at home. When running Pegasus at work, mail that I want to keep is filtered to a mail folder in the cloud. And when I run Pegasus at home, the mail is filtered from the cloud to local folders. I also keep copies of my address book files in the cloud. When an address book changes, I copy it to the cloud and then from the cloud to a local disk either at work or at home. However, you may find this a somewhat roundabout process. If you do, you just might consider saving everything in the cloud. In that case, you could change your mailbox location to one in your cloud (Tools, Options, Mailbox location), which means effectively moving the entire mail folder to the cloud. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

<p>Hello,</p><p>I'm running CloudStation on my Synology NAS. I use it partially for email. That is, I'm using the Add mailbox to list function to transfer mail I receive at work to my local disk at home. When running Pegasus at work, mail that I want to keep is filtered to a mail folder in the cloud. And when I run Pegasus at home, the mail is filtered from the cloud to local folders. I also keep copies of my address book files in the cloud. When an address book changes, I copy it to the cloud and then from the cloud to a local disk either at work or at home. However, you may find this a somewhat roundabout process. If you do, you just might consider saving everything in the cloud. In that case, you could change your mailbox location to one in your cloud (Tools, Options, Mailbox location), which means effectively moving the entire mail folder to the cloud. Hope this helps.</p><p>Cheers! </p>

FWIW, multiple instance of Pegasus Mail can share the same addressbook if it is set up as a system-wide addressbook.  The default is to place it in the same location as the winpm-32.exe file however it can be placed anywhere provided you create an environment variable that points to its path or use the -V switch in the command line (e.g. -V pmr=\\server\add_share).  Details are in the manual.

FWIW, multiple instance of Pegasus Mail can share the same addressbook if it is set up as a system-wide addressbook.  The default is to place it in the same location as the winpm-32.exe file however it can be placed anywhere provided you create an environment variable that points to its path or use the -V switch in the command line (e.g. -V pmr=\\server\add_share).  Details are in the manual.

Many thanks for this information, it may come handy some day. Unfortunatly without further investigation it does work only for setups with Pegasus on more than one PC. I will need to convert Pegasus addressbook into something more widely used and back.

Maybe it's possible to use a converter with Pegasus addressbook together with the -V switch?

Is the data format of the addressbook documented somewhere?

Do you know of converters to common formats?

<p>Many thanks for this information, it may come handy some day. Unfortunatly without further investigation it does work only for setups with Pegasus on more than one PC. I will need to convert Pegasus addressbook into something more widely used and back. </p><p>Maybe it's possible to use a converter with Pegasus addressbook together with the -V switch?</p><p>Is the data format of the addressbook documented somewhere?</p><p>Do you know of converters to common formats?</p>

While looking at an address book, click the Addressbook menu item, and see the import/export options.

Martin 

<p>While looking at an address book, click the Addressbook menu item, and see the import/export options.</p><p>Martin </p>

[quote user="irelam"]

While looking at an address book, click the Addressbook menu item, and see the import/export options.

Martin 

[/quote]

Also remember initially none are selected so mark to select addresses you want to export or use ctrl+a to select all and then export giving path and filename.

[quote user="irelam"]<p>While looking at an address book, click the Addressbook menu item, and see the import/export options.</p><p>Martin </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Also remember initially none are selected so mark to select addresses you want to export or use ctrl+a to select all and then export giving path and filename. </p>

Thank you. It looks like export/import is the only option i have with Pegasus. I'll look into this once my server is running and maybe come back with more questions[:)]

Thank you. It looks like export/import is the only option i have with Pegasus. I'll look into this once my server is running and maybe come back with more questions[:)]
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft