Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Fetaure request for increased user-friendlyness

Hi !

Pegasus Mail is a wonderful piece of code, I am not going to say otherwise, and in its category it is the best. However, it is a shame that lots of potential users drive away from trying it just because the interface is not as user-friendly and welcoming than that of Thunderbird for instance. I remember the first time I "met" with Pegasus Mail. I was browsing and went on Wikipedia to see what alternatives were available instead of Foxmail, and then I found the page on Pegasus Mail, I liked the name, and saw that it was there from 1995, wow ! I said to myself that if it were still "breathing" after so many years, it must be of very solid quality, and decided to give it a try. Used to the Foxmail interface, I was a cold down by the interface of Pegasus Mail, and the feeling I add was that this program was for professionals, and certainly not for me. Well, I was dead wrong since it took me only a few minutes to "get in" when I tried it the second time. All this to say that one of the main critics that I read and also experienced to some extent is that the interface of Pegasus Mail does not really give you a warm welcome to try it. I think that if the interface was closer to what we have nowadays, like for instance Thunderbird or Foxmail, lots of users will make the switch because, among other things, they will feel not completely lost in "another world" and will still have some marks so that the transition can be made smoothly. However, I strongly defend that the interface of Pegasus Mail is excellent because it is efficient, simple and neat. Now how do we get along with these two apparently contradictory "features" ? Simple, just make Pegasus Mail skinable. This, I think, will have the following advantages : (1) It will make the community participate more actively and tightens the links it already has with the program since it can actually have an effect on it, (2) It will ease getting new users to try it and make a transition towards it, (3) It will not foil the current user database or die hard users ferociously attached to the current interface since no one can ever force a particular user not to use the default interface. On top of that, if Pegasus Mail could have an in-built email import tool, it would really makes it easier to switch from one client to it. Indeed, we could just say "Look, sure Foxmail looks better to you, but you can try Pegasus Mail in seconds thanks to our import tool which will import all your emails an structure inside our program, so that you can see that there is nothing better than Pegasus Mail". Of course, the import tool has to convert the imported format into Pegasus' one.

Cheers !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>Pegasus Mail is a wonderful piece of code, I am not going to say otherwise, and in its category it is the best. However, it is a shame that lots of potential users drive away from trying it just because the interface is not as user-friendly and welcoming than that of Thunderbird for instance. I remember the first time I "met" with Pegasus Mail. I was browsing and went on Wikipedia to see what alternatives were available instead of Foxmail, and then I found the page on Pegasus Mail, I liked the name, and saw that it was there from 1995, wow ! I said to myself that if it were still "breathing" after so many years, it must be of very solid quality, and decided to give it a try. Used to the Foxmail interface, I was a cold down by the interface of Pegasus Mail, and the feeling I add was that this program was for professionals, and certainly not for me. Well, I was dead wrong since it took me only a few minutes to "get in" when I tried it the second time. All this to say that one of the main critics that I read and also experienced to some extent is that the interface of Pegasus Mail does not really give you a warm welcome to try it. I think that if the interface was closer to what we have nowadays, like for instance Thunderbird or Foxmail, lots of users will make the switch because, among other things, they will feel not completely lost in "another world" and will still have some marks so that the transition can be made smoothly. However, I strongly defend that the interface of Pegasus Mail is excellent because it is efficient, simple and neat. Now how do we get along with these two apparently contradictory "features" ? Simple, just make Pegasus Mail skinable. This, I think, will have the following advantages : (1) It will make the community participate more actively and tightens the links it already has with the program since it can actually have an effect on it, (2) It will ease getting new users to try it and make a transition towards it, (3) It will not foil the current user database or die hard users ferociously attached to the current interface since no one can ever force a particular user not to use the default interface. On top of that, if Pegasus Mail could have an in-built email import tool, it would really makes it easier to switch from one client to it. Indeed, we could just say "Look, sure Foxmail looks better to you, but you can try Pegasus Mail in seconds thanks to our import tool which will import all your emails an structure inside our program, so that you can see that there is nothing better than Pegasus Mail". Of course, the import tool has to convert the imported format into Pegasus' one.</p><p>Cheers !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft