Community Discussions and Support
Reading Outlook Meeting Requests

Hi there,

Firstly to point out that the filename reported by Pegasus Mail (the Dot) is not done when you double click the attachment entry. PMIcal does not get involved until the user causes the attachment to be associated with an application, and then the application can be invoked with the extracted file.  This is identical to the Mail filter rules where an application can get triggered by a rule firing, and the *.CNM file path details are passed as a parameter (%s).  

The problem is that a user on the Pegasus Mail Attachments list page will select a part they are interested in and then click Open. It is silent (failed Open). If they click Save they get a Save dialog and can Save As anything they want. But how do they determine what the content of the file is?  Well they can do a  Raw View, and wade through all the Mime parts and then do a selective copy of the vCalendar content, invoke Notpad and save it. Then in Windows Explorer, find the just-created file and double-click it (if the file association with PMIcal is present) and wake up PMIcal.  Way too much.

So I am doing a review of the various processes involved in PMIcal and may well re-design the workflow 

I hope this starts to clarify the problems, generated by Microsoft mainly, are causing me.   P.S The same problems, to a lesser extent, occur with vCard streams from exporting Microsoft and Apple Contacts. 

Martin

<p>Hi there,</p><p>  Firstly to point out that the filename reported by Pegasus Mail (the Dot) is not done when you double click the attachment entry. PMIcal does not get involved until the user causes the attachment to be associated with an application, and then the application can be invoked with the extracted file.  This is identical to the Mail filter rules where an application can get triggered by a rule firing, and the *.CNM file path details are passed as a parameter (%s).  </p><p>   The problem is that a user on the Pegasus Mail Attachments list page will select a part they are interested in and then click Open. It is silent (failed Open). If they click Save they get a Save dialog and can Save As anything they want. But how do they determine what the content of the file is?  Well they can do a  Raw View, and wade through all the Mime parts and then do a selective copy of the vCalendar content, invoke Notpad and save it. Then in Windows Explorer, find the just-created file and double-click it (if the file association with PMIcal is present) and wake up PMIcal.  Way too much.</p><p>So I am doing a review of the various processes involved in PMIcal and may well re-design the workflow </p><p>I hope this starts to clarify the problems, generated by Microsoft mainly, are causing me.   P.S The same problems, to a lesser extent, occur with vCard streams from exporting Microsoft and Apple Contacts. </p><p> Martin</p>

A search of the forum has not provided an answer...

I am receiving an increasing number of meeting appointment requests via outlook but I cannot find an easy way of reading these 'coded' requests. 

Am I missing pivotal information on how to effect the reading of these requests?

Advice is welcomed.

<p>A search of the forum has not provided an answer...</p><p>I am receiving an increasing number of<b> meeting appointment requests</b> via outlook but I cannot find an easy way of reading these 'coded' requests. </p><p>Am I missing pivotal information on how to effect the reading of these requests?</p><p>Advice is welcomed. </p><p> </p><p> </p>

[quote user="caisson"]http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/30157.aspx[/quote]

Thanks and interesting this did not come up in my search...

I was hoping that PM would read the invitation in a format that was easy to read rather than 'decoding' what is currently received.

Thanks again... 

<p>[quote user="caisson"]http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/30157.aspx[/quote]</p><p>Thanks and interesting this did not come up in my search... </p><p>I was hoping that PM would read the invitation in a format that was easy to read rather than 'decoding' what is currently received.</p><p>Thanks again...  </p><p> </p>

If you have a gmail account you can bounce forward the invitation and gmail will pop it in your google calendar.  This works well for us here because we use Google Calendar as our company calendar anyway.

<p>If you have a gmail account you can bounce forward the invitation and gmail will pop it in your google calendar.  This works well for us here because we use Google Calendar as our company calendar anyway.</p><p> </p>

Try the Pegasus Mail Add-on by Martin Ireland called PMIcal.  This utility detects the vCalendar and displays its content in a popup window.  My experience is that it works most of the time but I occasionally receive a vCalendar stream that PMIcal can not display because long lines in the stream have been reformatted. 

Find PMIcal it in the Community Downloads Add-ons section.  The direct URL is below.  Usage instructions are included in a text file in the download.

http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/pegadd/entry39822.aspx

PMIcal.exe also works standalone so you can copy the vCalendar stream to Notepad, save it as a .vcs file, then drag and drop the .vcs file onto PMIcal.exe.

<p>Try the Pegasus Mail Add-on by Martin Ireland called PMIcal.  This utility detects the vCalendar and displays its content in a popup window.  My experience is that it works most of the time but I occasionally receive a vCalendar stream that PMIcal can not display because long lines in the stream have been reformatted.  </p><p>Find PMIcal it in the Community Downloads Add-ons section.  The direct URL is below.  Usage instructions are included in a text file in the download. </p><p>http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/pegadd/entry39822.aspx </p><p>PMIcal.exe also works standalone so you can copy the vCalendar stream to Notepad, save it as a .vcs file, then drag and drop the .vcs file onto PMIcal.exe. </p>

[quote user="bfluet"]My experience is that it works most of the time but I occasionally receive a vCalendar stream that PMIcal can not display because long lines in the stream have been reformatted.[/quote]

Martin is reworking PMIcal. Had some problems too and sent examples to Martin. Don't know, when he will issue a new version.

Bye   Olaf

<p>[quote user="bfluet"]My experience is that it works most of the time but I occasionally receive a vCalendar stream that PMIcal can not display because long lines in the stream have been reformatted.[/quote]</p><p>Martin is reworking PMIcal. Had some problems too and sent examples to Martin. Don't know, when he will issue a new version.</p><p>Bye   Olaf</p><p> </p>

Olaf,

Are you receiving many of these messages where the message body is empty and the vCalendar stream is in an additional text part?  Those are common here and problematic because the text part is not visible.  To help users I created a rule in Mercury that adds a text fragment to any message that contains the text part.  The text fragment is instructions on how to find and display the content. 

<p>Olaf,</p><p>Are you receiving many of these messages where the message body is empty and the vCalendar stream is in an additional text part?  Those are common here and problematic because the text part is not visible.  To help users I created a rule in Mercury that adds a text fragment to any message that contains the text part.  The text fragment is instructions on how to find and display the content.  </p>

Up to now I only got one vCalendar created by an Exchange, where the vCalendar is an additional textpart. The body wasn't empty, because the sender had to make some explanations. The problem was, that PMIcal opended but didn't display anything - on the other hand obviously got the source text ob vCalendar.

Mercury is no option ... we have central mailaccounts for university running on postfix or cyrrus ... Mercury is with my faculty for mailinglists and mailaliases (and history with Novell Netware :-). So our Mercury is not involved in those Exchange generated Mails with vCalendars.

Bye   Olaf

<p>Up to now I only got one vCalendar created by an Exchange, where the vCalendar is an additional textpart. The body wasn't empty, because the sender had to make some explanations. The problem was, that PMIcal opended but didn't display anything - on the other hand obviously got the source text ob vCalendar.</p><p>Mercury is no option ... we have central mailaccounts for university running on postfix or cyrrus ... Mercury is with my faculty for mailinglists and mailaliases (and history with Novell Netware :-). So our Mercury is not involved in those Exchange generated Mails with vCalendars.</p><p>Bye   Olaf</p><p> </p>

[quote user="FJR"]Up to now I only got one vCalendar created by an Exchange, where the vCalendar is an additional textpart. The body wasn't empty, because the sender had to make some explanations. The problem was, that PMIcal opended but didn't display anything - on the other hand obviously got the source text ob vCalendar. [/quote]

Interesting.  My PMIcal doesn't open when vCalendar is in a text part.  Am using v2.17.  Martin has my last problem message.

<p>[quote user="FJR"]Up to now I only got one vCalendar created by an Exchange, where the vCalendar is an additional textpart. The body wasn't empty, because the sender had to make some explanations. The problem was, that PMIcal opended but didn't display anything - on the other hand obviously got the source text ob vCalendar. [/quote]</p><p>Interesting.  My PMIcal doesn't open when vCalendar is in a text part.  Am using v2.17.  Martin has my last problem message. </p>

I am working on an update to PMIcal, that will include:

1.  Displaying Time zone offset from GMT, adjusting for time zone changes on Start and End dates

2. Adding international support for displaying field names on the report

3. Fixing the handling of MS Outlook email messages with vCalendar Mime parts as well as real attachement file (*.ICS) 

Always trying to keep up with MS interpretation of the vCalendar spec 

Martin 

<p>I am working on an update to PMIcal, that will include:</p><p>1.  Displaying Time zone offset from GMT, adjusting for time zone changes on Start and End dates</p><p>2. Adding international support for displaying field names on the report</p><p>3. Fixing the handling of MS Outlook email messages with vCalendar Mime parts as well as real attachement file (*.ICS) </p><p>Always trying to keep up with MS interpretation of the vCalendar spec </p><p>Martin </p>

[quote user="bfluet"]Interesting.  My PMIcal doesn't open when vCalendar is in a text part.[/quote]

Oh ... that may be simple and may be I had the same problem and made some changes to (in my case central) VIEWER.PM - don't remember exactly:

1;.ICS;.ICS;pmical.exe
1;.VCS;.VCS;pmical.exe
2;text/calendar;-;pmical.exe

Especially the last one should match your problem.

Hope this helps

Olaf

[quote user="bfluet"]Interesting.  My PMIcal doesn't open when vCalendar is in a text part.[/quote]<p>Oh ... that may be simple and may be I had the same problem and made some changes to (in my case central) VIEWER.PM - don't remember exactly: </p><blockquote><p>1;.ICS;.ICS;pmical.exe 1;.VCS;.VCS;pmical.exe 2;text/calendar;-;pmical.exe </p></blockquote><p>Especially the last one should match your problem. </p><p>Hope this helps</p><p>    Olaf </p><p> </p>

I had the "ICS" and "VCS" entries in VIEWER.PM but not "text/calendar".  It is there now.  Thanks!

I had the "ICS" and "VCS" entries in VIEWER.PM but not "text/calendar".  It is there now.  Thanks!

At one time I thought I had the text/calendar content invoking PMIcal automatically so have been racking my brain trying to figure out how I did it and what has changed.  I finally figured out that I broke a new mail filtering rule when I made some changes on a server.

Olaf, you might like this...

If expression body matches "BEGIN:VCALENDAR" Goto "vCalendar"
If expression body matches "Content-Type: text/calendar*" Goto "vCalendar"
Always Exit ""
Label "vCalendar"
Always Run "\\\\server01\\sharedapps\\pmail\\pmical.exe %s"
Always Exit ""

While trying to figure this out I also discovered that my problem message is not a problem for one of my other users.  The decoding process adds odd line breaks on my machine resulting in a blank PMIcal window but on his the PMIcal display is fine.  The machines were identical when purchased (Win7 64bit) but have different apps and tweaks now.  Both run the same shared PMail.  How do I troubleshoot this?

Edit:  Forget about the above paragraph!  Failed once but now it's working.  Will revisit this in future if needed!
<p>At one time I thought I had the text/calendar content invoking PMIcal automatically so have been racking my brain trying to figure out how I did it and what has changed.  I finally figured out that I broke a new mail filtering rule when I made some changes on a server.</p><p>Olaf, you might like this... </p><p><i>If expression body matches "BEGIN:VCALENDAR" Goto "vCalendar" If expression body matches "Content-Type: text/calendar*" Goto "vCalendar" . . Always Exit "" Label "vCalendar" Always Run "\\\\server01\\sharedapps\\pmail\\pmical.exe %s" Always Exit "" </i> </p>While trying to figure this out I also discovered that my problem message is not a problem for one of my other users.  The decoding process adds odd line breaks on my machine resulting in a blank PMIcal window but on his the PMIcal display is fine.  The machines were identical when purchased (Win7 64bit) but have different apps and tweaks now.  Both run the same shared PMail.  How do I troubleshoot this? <b>Edit:  Forget about the above paragraph!  Failed once but now it's working.  Will revisit this in future if needed!</b>

The rules I use are:

If attachment ExtnPart contains ".ics,.vcs" Goto "vcalendar"

If expression body matches "Content-Type: text/vcalendar*" Goto "vcalendar"

If expression both matches "Content-Type: text/calendar" Goto "vcalendar"

If expression body matches "QkVHSU46VkNBTEVOREFS" Goto "vcalendar"   [Comment:  Base64 encoded "BEGIN:VCALENDAR" first line of file]

If expression body matches "BEGIN:VCALENDAR" Goto "vcalendar"

..... other rules ....

Always Exit ""

Label "vcalendar"

Always Run "c:\\pmail\\programs\\pmical.exe %s"

Always Highlight "3"     [Comment:  Mark message with a color ]

Always Exit ""

Martin 

<p>The rules I use are:</p><p>If attachment ExtnPart contains ".ics,.vcs" Goto "vcalendar"</p><p>If expression body matches "Content-Type: text/vcalendar*" Goto "vcalendar"</p><p>If expression both matches "Content-Type: text/calendar" Goto "vcalendar"</p><p>If expression body matches "QkVHSU46VkNBTEVOREFS" Goto "vcalendar"   [Comment:  Base64 encoded "BEGIN:VCALENDAR" first line of file]</p><p>If expression body matches "BEGIN:VCALENDAR" Goto "vcalendar"</p><p>..... other rules ....</p><p> </p><p>Always Exit ""</p><p>Label "vcalendar"</p><p>Always Run "c:\\pmail\\programs\\pmical.exe %s"</p><p>Always Highlight "3"     [Comment:  Mark message with a color ]</p><p>Always Exit ""</p><p> </p><p>Martin </p>

I am considering removing the "2;text/calendar;-;pmical.exe" line from VIEWER.PM  because I have discovered that my problem message is only a problem when PMIcal is invoked using the text part (empty Form1 window).  Is decoding handled differently when PMIcal is triggered by a new mail filter?

<p>I am considering removing the "2;text/calendar;-;pmical.exe" line from VIEWER.PM  because I have discovered that my problem message is only a problem when PMIcal is invoked using the text part (empty Form1 window).  Is decoding handled differently when PMIcal is triggered by a new mail filter?</p>

There are two distinctly dfifferent ways to get a Calendar stream processed.  The first is to use the result action of an incoming mail filter rule, which passes the whole email message to PMIcal, and I then have to parse the message to find a Mime part that is one of Text/Calendar, Text/Vcalendar or Text/Plain, and additionally any Mime part that is content-type: text/* and the first line of the Mime part is the vCalendar stream in either plain ASCII or Base64 encoded.

The second process is to receive the filename of an attachment from Pegasus Mail, or filename from a Drag&Drop in Windows Explorer (et al). In this second case the filename passed to PMIcal is assumed to contain the Vcalendar stream in ASCII 

I am trying to track down a method to handle Pegasus Mail attachments that are simply given a filename of "."  which of course cannot be opened as a file. Microsoft is a prime culprit for this. In these cases I rely on the fact that I can read the Mime data part to detect a Vcalendar header line. This seems to break down when files such as from Applemail are processed, as the line-end is not CRLF.

Martin 

<p>There are two distinctly dfifferent ways to get a Calendar stream processed.  The first is to use the result action of an incoming mail filter rule, which passes the whole email message to PMIcal, and I then have to parse the message to find a Mime part that is one of Text/Calendar, Text/Vcalendar or Text/Plain, and additionally any Mime part that is content-type: text/* and the first line of the Mime part is the vCalendar stream in either plain ASCII or Base64 encoded.</p><p>The second process is to receive the filename of an attachment from Pegasus Mail, or filename from a Drag&Drop in Windows Explorer (et al). In this second case the filename passed to PMIcal is assumed to contain the Vcalendar stream in ASCII </p><p>I am trying to track down a method to handle Pegasus Mail attachments that are simply given a filename of "."  which of course cannot be opened as a file. Microsoft is a prime culprit for this. In these cases I rely on the fact that I can read the Mime data part to detect a Vcalendar header line. This seems to break down when files such as from Applemail are processed, as the line-end is not CRLF.</p><p>Martin </p>

[quote user="irelam"]This seems to break down when files such as from Applemail are processed, as the line-end is not CRLF.[/quote]

Martin,

Delphi provides a function called "AdjustLineBreaks" which converts single LFs (as preferred by Linux) or CRs (as preferred by Apple) to CRLFs leaving pre-existing CRLFs intact so you can easily send all text (no matter what line breaks) through it before applying your own processing.

<p>[quote user="irelam"]This seems to break down when files such as from Applemail are processed, as the line-end is not CRLF.[/quote]</p><p>Martin,</p><p>Delphi provides a function called "<span dir="ltr"><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif"><font size="2">AdjustLineBreaks</font></font></span>" which converts single LFs (as preferred by Linux) or CRs (as preferred by Apple) to CRLFs leaving pre-existing CRLFs intact so you can easily send all text (no matter what line breaks) through it before applying your own processing.</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Michael,

Thanks, function noted. I have sent you an offline message about this routine.

Martin 

<p>Michael,</p><p>Thanks, function noted. I have sent you an offline message about this routine.</p><p>Martin </p>

[quote user="irelam"]There are two distinctly dfifferent ways to get a

Calendar stream processed.  The first is to use the result action of an

incoming mail filter rule, which passes the whole email message to

PMIcal, and I then have to parse the message to find a Mime part that is

one of Text/Calendar, Text/Vcalendar or Text/Plain, and additionally

any Mime part that is content-type: text/* and the first line of the

Mime part is the vCalendar stream in either plain ASCII or Base64

encoded.

The second process is to receive the filename of an

attachment from Pegasus Mail, or filename from a Drag&Drop in

Windows Explorer (et al). In this second case the filename passed to

PMIcal is assumed to contain the Vcalendar stream in ASCII [/quote]

Additional clarification please Martin.  The earlier suggestion by Olaf to add a "2;text/calendar;-;pmical.exe" causes PMIcal to be triggered when double clicking on the text part containing the vCalendar stream.  Is the resulting blank Form1 window expected because this is an invalid way to trigger PMIcal or should this method work?

PS:  Sorry for the Edit.  I posted a blank reply the first time.

[quote user="irelam"]There are two distinctly dfifferent ways to get a Calendar stream processed.  The first is to use the result action of an incoming mail filter rule, which passes the whole email message to PMIcal, and I then have to parse the message to find a Mime part that is one of Text/Calendar, Text/Vcalendar or Text/Plain, and additionally any Mime part that is content-type: text/* and the first line of the Mime part is the vCalendar stream in either plain ASCII or Base64 encoded.<p>The second process is to receive the filename of an attachment from Pegasus Mail, or filename from a Drag&Drop in Windows Explorer (et al). In this second case the filename passed to PMIcal is assumed to contain the Vcalendar stream in ASCII [/quote]</p><p>Additional clarification please Martin.  The earlier suggestion by Olaf to add a "2;text/calendar;-;pmical.exe" causes PMIcal to be triggered when double clicking on the text part containing the vCalendar stream.  Is the resulting blank Form1 window expected because this is an invalid way to trigger PMIcal or should this method work?</p><p>PS:  Sorry for the Edit.  I posted a blank reply the first time. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft