Community Discussions and Support
Including a graphic in a signature. Problem when read in thunderbird

[quote user="chriscw"]I have recently been working on a company wide signature to be used in Pegasus Mail which include our company logo as a GIF file.   It seems to work well except that some clients noticeably Thunderbird just display a box with the word graphic instead of the company logo.   It even works OK with Outlook so I am not quite sure why we have this problem.[/quote]

If you look at the raw source of an HTML message with one of these signatures in it, you'll see that Pegasus is sending the image with a Content-Type of application/octet-stream.

I don't know for sure, but I think this is why Thunderbird won't display the image inline -- it doesn't like the MIME-type. It doesn't seem to bother other mail user agents, but Thunderbird apparently only treats images at images if they're sent with a MIME-type of, for example, image/jpeg.

<p>[quote user="chriscw"]I have recently been working on a company wide signature to be used in Pegasus Mail which include our company logo as a GIF file.   It seems to work well except that some clients noticeably Thunderbird just display a box with the word graphic instead of the company logo.   It even works OK with Outlook so I am not quite sure why we have this problem.[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>If you look at the raw source of an HTML message with one of these signatures in it, you'll see that Pegasus is sending the image with a Content-Type of application/octet-stream.</p><p> </p><p>I don't know for sure, but I <i>think </i>this is why Thunderbird won't display the image inline -- it doesn't like the MIME-type. It doesn't seem to bother other mail user agents, but Thunderbird apparently only treats images at images if they're sent with a MIME-type of, for example, image/jpeg. </p>

I have recently been working on a company wide signature to be used in Pegasus Mail which include our company logo as a GIF file.   It seems to work well except that some clients noticeably Thunderbird just display a box with the word graphic instead of the company logo.   It even works OK with Outlook so I am not quite sure why we have this problem.

Does anyone else put their company logo or other picture in a signature?

Have you had this problem?

Did tyou find a way round it?

GIF seems to be the norm for graphic signatures but we are quite willing to try other formats of indeed editing the HTML signature file Pegasus creates nmanually if thei will improve compatibility.

<p>I have recently been working on a company wide signature to be used in Pegasus Mail which include our company logo as a GIF file.   It seems to work well except that some clients noticeably Thunderbird just display a box with the word graphic instead of the company logo.   It even works OK with Outlook so I am not quite sure why we have this problem.</p><p> Does anyone else put their company logo or other picture in a signature?</p><p> Have you had this problem?</p><p>Did tyou find a way round it?</p><p>GIF seems to be the norm for graphic signatures but we are quite willing to try other formats of indeed editing the HTML signature file Pegasus creates nmanually if thei will improve compatibility.  </p>

Are you attaching the graphic with the email or referencing a remote location? May have to attach the graphic to each email going out. Some clients will block display of remote graphics.

Also if the email client blocks displaying of inline graphics (The Bat!, PocoMail do have the feature therefore more are possible) this would be a possible answer.

<p>Are you attaching the graphic with the email or referencing a remote location? May have to attach the graphic to each email going out. Some clients will block display of remote graphics.</p><p> </p><p>Also if the email client blocks displaying of inline graphics (The Bat!, PocoMail do have the feature therefore more are possible) this would be a possible answer. </p>

Pegasus adds the GIF file containing the company logo to each email so its not a remote image link.

My current theory is it might be because of the GIF file itself rather than Pesasus's method of creating signatures we are about to test this theory using a logo from someone else which Thunderbird does display. 

<p>Pegasus adds the GIF file containing the company logo to each email so its not a remote image link.</p><p>My current theory is it might be because of the GIF file itself rather than Pesasus's method of creating signatures we are about to test this theory using a logo from someone else which Thunderbird does display. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft