Community Discussions and Support
Why Mercury create a message with null FROM?

I am not receiving email from this topic. Why?

Francisco 

<p><b>[U]</b> I am not receiving email from this topic. Why?</p><p>Francisco </p>

Why Mercury create a message with null FROM?

Thank You

Francisco

MercuryC.log

T 20070819 140907 9f8 Established ESMTP connection to smtp.gmail.com
T 20070819 140907 9f8 Begin processing job MO001DAE from <>
T 20070819 140908 9f8 MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=1190
E 20070819 140908 9f8 TCP/IP error.

MO001DAE.QJD

Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.111

MO001DAE.QDF

Received: from spooler by lojistas.net (Mercury/32 v4.51); 19 Aug 2007 14:06:43 -0300
To: xxxxx@gmail.com
Subject: Message delivery status
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:06:21 -0300
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-type: Text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Message-ID: <753FB1936E4@lojistas.net>

This is a delivery status message from the electronic mail server at
lojistas.net. A message appearing to originate from your address
has been delayed during delivery.

Message details:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally submitted:      18 Aug 07, 13:57:07
Originator address:        xxxxx@gmail.com
Message's subject:         Lojistas.net Newsletter de 08/2007
Message's ID:              <HCM3FUSWS2T1NE.BB8L52GTJXNW@cerv.com.br

After 24 hours, the following addresses had delivery problems:

mario@cerv.com.br [Temporary failure - still trying to deliver]

The server will continue to attempt to deliver your message to any
addresses showing temporary errors. You do not need to take any
further action at this time - this message is for your information
only.

MO001DAE.QCF

ST: R 070819142408 01 000001 000000 000000
FR: <>
DF: MO001DAE.QDF
FL: 0         
BA: xxxxx@gmail.com
ES: R 070819140643
RI: 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000
DI: --------.---
EA:

&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-weight: bold;&quot;&gt;Why Mercury create a message with null FROM?&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-weight: bold;&quot;&gt;&lt;/span&gt;Thank You&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Francisco &lt;/p&gt;&lt;hr&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-weight: bold;&quot;&gt; MercuryC.log&lt;/span&gt;&lt;p&gt;T 20070819 140907 9f8 Established ESMTP connection to smtp.gmail.com T 20070819 140907 9f8 Begin processing job MO001DAE from &amp;lt;&amp;gt; T 20070819 140908 9f8 MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;&amp;gt; SIZE=1190 E 20070819 140908 9f8 TCP/IP error.&lt;span style=&quot;font-weight: bold;&quot;&gt;&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;hr&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-weight: bold;&quot;&gt;MO001DAE.QJD&lt;/span&gt;&lt;p&gt;Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.111&lt;span style=&quot;font-weight: bold;&quot;&gt;&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;hr&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-weight: bold;&quot;&gt;MO001DAE.QDF&lt;/span&gt;&lt;p&gt;Received: from spooler by lojistas.net (Mercury/32 v4.51); 19 Aug 2007 14:06:43 -0300 From: Mail Delivery System &amp;lt;&amp;gt; To: xxxxx@gmail.com Subject: Message delivery status Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:06:21 -0300 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-type: Text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Message-ID: &amp;lt;753FB1936E4@lojistas.net&amp;gt; This is a delivery status message from the electronic mail server at lojistas.net. A message appearing to originate from your address has been delayed during delivery. Message details: ------------------------------------------------------------------ Originally submitted:&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; 18 Aug 07, 13:57:07 Originator address:&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; xxxxx@gmail.com Message&#039;s subject:&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Lojistas.net Newsletter de 08/2007 Message&#039;s ID:&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt;HCM3FUSWS2T1NE.BB8L52GTJXNW@cerv.com.br After 24 hours, the following addresses had delivery problems: &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; mario@cerv.com.br [Temporary failure - still trying to deliver] The server will continue to attempt to deliver your message to any addresses showing temporary errors. You do not need to take any further action at this time - this message is for your information only.&lt;span style=&quot;font-weight: bold;&quot;&gt;&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;hr&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-weight: bold;&quot;&gt;MO001DAE.QCF&lt;/span&gt;&lt;p&gt;ST: R 070819142408 01 000001 000000 000000 FR: &amp;lt;&amp;gt; DF: MO001DAE.QDF FL: 0&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; OS: 070819140643 BA: xxxxx@gmail.com ES: R 070819140643 RI: 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000 DI: --------.--- EA:&lt;/p&gt;

Delivery Failure Notices are almost always sent with an empty MAIL FROM: in order to avoid endless mail loops between error reporting servers.

However your problem lays somewhere else, that's causing those error messages.

&lt;p&gt;Delivery Failure Notices are almost always sent with an empty MAIL FROM: in order to avoid endless mail loops between error reporting servers.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;However your problem lays somewhere else, that&#039;s causing those error messages.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Yes! But...why Mercury create a message with empty MAIL FROM?

Has it any missing configuration? 

Francisco 

&lt;p&gt;Yes! But...why Mercury create a message with empty MAIL FROM?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Has it any missing configuration?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Francisco&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

As HellasGuy said, it's normal with empty MAIL FROM in the SMTP transaction for delivery error notifications. The From: header in the message itself is usually <postmaster@hostname>, with hostname being what you have entered in Configuration / Mercury core module / General / Internet name for this system. The Mercury help says:

Internet name for this system  Enter here the Internet name for the machine on which Mercury is running. Mercury will use this information when forming certain addresses, such as the postmaster address. The name you enter here should be a fully-qualified domain name; if you are intending to use Mercury to provide mail services outside your immediate organization, the name you provide will need to be accessible in your Domain Name Server (DNS) system. 

/Rolf 

&lt;p&gt;As HellasGuy said, it&#039;s normal with empty MAIL FROM in the SMTP transaction for delivery error notifications. The From: header in the message itself is usually &amp;lt;postmaster@hostname&amp;gt;, with hostname being what you have entered in Configuration / Mercury core module / General / Internet name for this system. The Mercury help says: &lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;i&gt;Internet name for this system&amp;nbsp; Enter here the Internet name for the machine on which Mercury is running. Mercury will use this information when forming certain addresses, such as the postmaster address. The name you enter here should be a fully-qualified domain name; if you are intending to use Mercury to provide mail services outside your immediate organization, the name you provide will need to be accessible in your Domain Name Server (DNS) system.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Hi Rolf 

Internet name for this system  Enter here the Internet name for the machine on which Mercury is running. Mercury will use this information when forming certain addresses, such as the postmaster address. The name you enter here should be a fully-qualified domain name; if you are intending to use Mercury to provide mail services outside your immediate organization, the name you provide will need to be accessible in your Domain Name Server (DNS) system. (I not use Mercury to provide mail services outside my immediate organization. Francisco)

My MERCURY.INI it is:

[General]
myname:          lojistas.net    # Canonical name for this server

Is it ok?

Thank you 

Francisco 

&lt;p&gt;Hi Rolf&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;i&gt;Internet name for this system&amp;nbsp; Enter here the Internet name for the machine on which Mercury is running. Mercury will use this information when forming certain addresses, such as the postmaster address. The name you enter here should be a fully-qualified domain name; &lt;strike&gt;if you are intending to use Mercury to provide mail services outside your immediate organization, the name you provide will need to be accessible in your Domain Name Server (DNS) system&lt;/strike&gt;. (I not use Mercury to provide mail services outside my immediate organization. Francisco) &lt;/i&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;My &lt;b&gt;MERCURY.INI&lt;/b&gt; it is:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[General] myname:&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; lojistas.net&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; # Canonical name for this server &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is it ok?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thank you&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Francisco&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

"the Internet name for the machine on which Mercury is running" is probably something like mail.lojistas.net, right?

/Rolf 

&lt;p&gt;&quot;the Internet name for the machine on which Mercury is running&quot; is probably something like mail.lojistas.net, right?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Ok Rolf

Now, my MERCURY.INI it is:

[General]
myname:          mail.lojistas.net    # Canonical name for this server

[Mercury]
postmaster:    postmaster    # NetWare UIC of postmaster

But ... the error continue:

MO004A48.QCF

ST: R 070819190025 09 000001 000000 000000
DF: MO004A48.QDF
FL: 8192       
BA: xxxxx@gmail.com
ES: R 070819034331
RI: 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000
DI: --------.---
EA:

MO004A48.QDF 

Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.111Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.111Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.109

&lt;p&gt;Ok Rolf&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Now, my &lt;b&gt;MERCURY.INI&lt;/b&gt; it is:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[General] myname:&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; mail.lojistas.net&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; # Canonical name for this server &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[Mercury] postmaster:&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; postmaster&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; # NetWare UIC of postmaster &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;But ... the error continue:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;MO004A48.QCF&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;ST: R 070819190025 09 000001 000000 000000 FR: &amp;lt;&amp;gt; DF: MO004A48.QDF FL: 8192&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; OS: 070819034331 BA: xxxxx@gmail.com ES: R 070819034331 RI: 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000 000.000.000.000 DI: --------.--- EA: &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;MO004A48.QDF&lt;/b&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.111Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.111Network failure during MAIL FROM with 64.233.185.109 &lt;/p&gt;

Be sure to enter a valid account name as postmaster. Mercury help says:

Every system capable of receiving Internet mail must have a user called postmaster, to whom problem and status reports are sent. The postmaster account is usually an alias to a real user on your system, and this is the expectation within Mercury. Enter in this field the username of the user on the machine where Mercury is running who is to act as your postmaster.

FR: <> is the expected sender for a delivery failure notification, so that is no error. I'm not sure why the gmail connections fail, but to me it appears to be some AUTH/TLS issue.

/Rolf

&lt;p&gt;Be sure to enter a valid account name as postmaster. Mercury help says:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;i&gt;Every system capable of receiving Internet mail must have a user called postmaster, to whom problem and status reports are sent. The postmaster account is usually an alias to a real user on your system, and this is the expectation within Mercury. Enter in this field the username of the user on the machine where Mercury is running who is to act as your postmaster. &lt;/i&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;FR: &amp;lt;&amp;gt; is the expected sender for a delivery failure notification, so that is no error. I&#039;m not sure why the gmail connections fail, but to me it appears to be some AUTH/TLS issue.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Rolf Lindby"]

FR: <> is the expected sender for a delivery failure notification, ...

[/quote]

Mercury, some times, it do

others times, it do 

FR: <postmaster@mydomain.net>

Why?

Is it a bug? 

[quote user=&quot;Rolf Lindby&quot;]&lt;p&gt;FR: &amp;lt;&amp;gt; is the expected sender for a delivery failure notification, ... &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Mercury, some times, it do&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;FR: &amp;lt;&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;others times, it do&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;FR: &amp;lt;postmaster@mydomain.net&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Why?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is it a bug?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

<> is used in cases where there can be a risk for a mail loop. I don't think there is any need for you to be concerned about this, but if you feel there is a problem please collect a number of examples for us to examine.

/Rolf 

&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;&amp;gt; is used in cases where there can be a risk for a mail loop. I don&#039;t think there is any need for you to be concerned about this, but if you feel there is a problem please collect a number of examples for us to examine.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Mercury create a looping:

1. If email has an empty MAIL FROM, MercuryC display message:

20 Aug 07 14:36, Servicing jog MO0000BF... Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109
TCP/IP error during processing.
failed.
Error FF servicing queue job.

2. Then Mercury Core generate a new empty MAIL FROM message.

3. Goto 1

Francisco 

Note: I am not receiving email from this topic. Why?
&lt;p&gt;Mercury create a looping:&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;1. If email has an empty MAIL FROM, MercuryC display message:&lt;/p&gt; &lt;blockquote&gt; &lt;p&gt;20 Aug 07 14:36, Servicing jog MO0000BF... Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109 TCP/IP error during processing. failed. Error FF servicing queue job. &lt;/p&gt; &lt;/blockquote&gt; &lt;p&gt;2. Then Mercury Core generate a new empty MAIL FROM message.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;3. Goto 1&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Francisco&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;hr&gt;&lt;b&gt;[U] Note:&lt;/b&gt; I am not receiving email from this topic. Why?

[quote user="Francisco6x"]

Mercury create a looping:

1. If email has an empty MAIL FROM, MercuryC display message:

20 Aug 07 14:36, Servicing jog MO0000BF... Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109
TCP/IP error during processing.
failed.
Error FF servicing queue job.

2. Then Mercury Core generate a new empty MAIL FROM message.

3. Goto 1

Francisco 

[/quote]

The Error FF says the connection to the relay host is down or at least rejecting your connections.  The message with the <> is Mercury/32 reporting that this was a failure.  A message is sent to the postmaster which should be sent only to a local user;  if the postmaster is forwarded then this will also generate and error and you'll fill up your disk with error messages.

The real problem is the failure of the connection to the relay host though.

Again, the <> is a perfectly valid email address and is used by the server to report errors.  It's used to ensure that bounces as discarded and by RFC all mail servers MUST NOT reject mail from the <> address.

[quote user=&quot;Francisco6x&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Mercury create a looping:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;1. If email has an empty MAIL FROM, MercuryC display message:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;20 Aug 07 14:36, Servicing jog MO0000BF... Network failure during MAIL FROM with 72.14.247.109 TCP/IP error during processing. failed. Error FF servicing queue job. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;2. Then Mercury Core generate a new empty MAIL FROM message.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;3. Goto 1&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Francisco&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The Error FF says the connection to the relay host is down or at least rejecting your connections.&amp;nbsp; The message with the &amp;lt;&amp;gt; is Mercury/32 reporting that this was a failure.&amp;nbsp; A message is sent to the postmaster which should be sent only to a local user;&amp;nbsp; if the postmaster is forwarded then this will also generate and error and you&#039;ll fill up your disk with error messages.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The real problem is the failure of the connection to the relay host though.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Again, the &amp;lt;&amp;gt; is a perfectly valid email address and is used by the server to report errors.&amp;nbsp; It&#039;s used to ensure that bounces as discarded and by RFC all mail servers MUST NOT reject mail from the &amp;lt;&amp;gt; address. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

... The message with the <> is Mercury/32 reporting that this was a failure.  A message is sent to the postmaster which should be sent only to a local user;  if the postmaster is forwarded then this will also generate and error and you'll fill up your disk with error messages.

[/quote]

How can I to stop these messages?

Francisco

Note: I am not receiving email from this topic. Why?

[quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;]&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;... The message with the &amp;lt;&amp;gt; is Mercury/32 reporting that this was a failure.&amp;nbsp; A message is sent to the postmaster which should be sent only to a local user;&amp;nbsp; if the postmaster is forwarded then this will also generate and error &lt;b&gt;and you&#039;ll fill up your disk with error messages&lt;/b&gt;.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;How can I to stop these messages?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Francisco&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;hr&gt;&lt;b&gt;[U] Note:&lt;/b&gt; I am not receiving email from this topic. Why?&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Francisco6x"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

... The message with the <> is Mercury/32 reporting that this was a failure.  A message is sent to the postmaster which should be sent only to a local user;  if the postmaster is forwarded then this will also generate and error and you'll fill up your disk with error messages.

[/quote]

How can I to stop these messages?

Francisco

[/quote]

1.    Make sure that the relay host does not reject your mail.

2.    Make sure that the posmaster local address is not forwarded.

3.   Understand that a MAIL FROM of <> is a perfectly valid address form and should never be blocked for any reason.  If the relay host is blocking on <> then find another relay host.

[quote user=&quot;Francisco6x&quot;][quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;]&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;... The message with the &amp;lt;&amp;gt; is Mercury/32 reporting that this was a failure.&amp;nbsp; A message is sent to the postmaster which should be sent only to a local user;&amp;nbsp; if the postmaster is forwarded then this will also generate and error &lt;b&gt;and you&#039;ll fill up your disk with error messages&lt;/b&gt;.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;How can I to stop these messages?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Francisco&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;1.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Make sure that the relay host does not reject your mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Make sure that the posmaster local address is not forwarded.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;3.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Understand that a MAIL FROM of &amp;lt;&amp;gt; is a perfectly valid address form and should never be blocked for any reason.&amp;nbsp; If the relay host is blocking on &amp;lt;&amp;gt; then find another relay host. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft