Community Discussions and Support
Crash STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN or 0xc0000409

[quote user="Mark Irving"]that perhaps suggests there are two bugs to be fixed, one for long URLs and the other for displaying Japanese.[/quote]

Yes, this is exactly the suggestion I submitted to David Harris.

<p>[quote user="Mark Irving"]that perhaps suggests there are two bugs to be fixed, one for long URLs and the other for displaying Japanese.[/quote]</p><p>Yes, this is exactly the suggestion I submitted to David Harris. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

I received an email message which crashes Pegasus Mail every time I try to read to the end of it.

The crash has exception code c0000409 or 0xc0000409, which is STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN. There's a technical summary of this exception at <https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163311.aspx#S4>.

If I turn off Pegasus Mail  Tools > Options > Incoming mail > Hyperlinks "Enable display of clickable hyperlinks (URLs) in reader windows" I can read this message without crashing Pegasus Mail. With that option ticked/checked, Pegasus mail crashes when I read down the message.

The e-mail message is 12 KB long, and has, I think, two relevant features. In the headers it specifies

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-2022-JP"

and part-way down a long list of text (actually C++ function names) displayed in short lines without (generally) any spaces is a bit of Japanese which shows in raw view as

...N$r<hF@ (B

Everything from the "<" character for another 30+ lines is highlighted as a URL, and shortly after scrolling to make this part of the message visible, Pegasus crashes.

Pegasus Mail Version 4.70 (Win32), Feb 27 2014, build 546. Windows Vista 64-bit with all current Microsoft service packs and updates.

&lt;p&gt;I received an email message which crashes Pegasus Mail every time I try to read to the end of it.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The crash has exception code c0000409 or 0xc0000409, which is STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN. There&#039;s a technical summary of this exception at &amp;lt;https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163311.aspx#S4&amp;gt;.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If I turn off Pegasus Mail&amp;nbsp; Tools &amp;gt; Options &amp;gt; Incoming mail &amp;gt; Hyperlinks &quot;Enable display of clickable hyperlinks (URLs) in reader windows&quot; I can read this message without crashing Pegasus Mail. With that option ticked/checked, Pegasus mail crashes when I read down the message. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The e-mail message is 12 KB long, and has, I think, two relevant features. In the headers it specifies&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;Content-Type: text/plain; charset=&quot;ISO-2022-JP&quot;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;and part-way down a long list of text (actually C++ function names) displayed in short lines without (generally) any spaces is a bit of Japanese which shows in raw view as&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;...N$r&amp;lt;hF@ (B &lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Everything from the &quot;&amp;lt;&quot; character for another 30+ lines is highlighted as a URL, and shortly after scrolling to make this part of the message visible, Pegasus crashes. &lt;p&gt;Pegasus Mail Version 4.70 (Win32), Feb 27 2014, build 546. Windows Vista 64-bit with all current Microsoft service packs and updates. &lt;/p&gt;

Back in March 2013 I went through a period of time of receiving messages that crashed Pegasus with a C++ error.  The crashes occurred on opening of the New Mail folder which is different from what you are experiencing.  The cause was a malformed Subject header like this:

Subject: [Spam]
 =?utf-32?B?TW9tICBMb28=?==?ascii?B?a3MgMjAgICAgWWVhcnMgICBZ?==?utf-32?B?b3VuZ2Vy?=

I don't know that this is of any help but thought it was worth sharing. 

I was able to create filters in Mercury to keep them out of the user mailboxes but only trapped a few before they stopped coming.

&lt;p&gt;Back in March 2013 I went through a period of time of receiving messages that crashed Pegasus with a C++ error.&amp;nbsp; The crashes occurred on opening of the New Mail folder which is different from what you are experiencing.&amp;nbsp; The cause was a malformed Subject header like this: &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Subject: [Spam] &amp;nbsp;=?utf-32?B?TW9tICBMb28=?==?ascii?B?a3MgMjAgICAgWWVhcnMgICBZ?==?utf-32?B?b3VuZ2Vy?= &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t know that this is of any help but thought it was worth sharing.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I was able to create filters in Mercury to keep them out of the user mailboxes but only trapped a few before they stopped coming. &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Mark Irving"]I received an email message which crashes Pegasus Mail every time I try to read to the end of it.[/quote]

Can you please forward an unaltered copy of this message (either as attachment to a new one or as CNM file from the new mail folder/directory, please add a subject refering to this forum) to <beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz>. Aside from this it would be helpful to get a crashdump, see here for details.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Mark Irving&quot;]I received an email message which crashes Pegasus Mail every time I try to read to the end of it.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Can you please forward an unaltered copy of this message (either as attachment to a new one or as CNM file from the new mail folder/directory, please add a subject refering to this forum) to &amp;lt;beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz&amp;gt;. Aside from this it would be helpful to get a crashdump, see &lt;a href=&quot;/forums/thread/31478.aspx&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot; mce_href=&quot;/forums/thread/31478.aspx&quot;&gt;here for details&lt;/a&gt;. &lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

[quote user="idw"]Can you please forward an unaltered copy of this message (either as attachment to a new one or as CNM file from the new mail folder/directory, please add a subject refering to this forum) to <beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz>. Aside from this it would be helpful to get a crashdump, see here for details.[/quote]

Done - although the crash dump took two attempts. Let me know if it isn't what you need or does not arrive.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;idw&quot;]Can you please forward an unaltered copy of this message (either as attachment to a new one or as CNM file from the new mail folder/directory, please add a subject refering to this forum) to &amp;lt;beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz&amp;gt;. Aside from this it would be helpful to get a crashdump, see &lt;a href=&quot;/forums/thread/31478.aspx&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot; mce_href=&quot;/forums/thread/31478.aspx&quot;&gt;here for details&lt;/a&gt;.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Done - although the crash dump took two attempts. Let me know if it isn&#039;t what you need or does not arrive.&lt;/p&gt;

You didn't mention whether ypou are using IERenderer or Bearhtml as your html display engine. I would be interested to check out the message in Bearhtml either way, so I would appreciate receiving a copy. Please mail it to irelam@telus.net using the same sending method as mentioned ablove in the message from IDW.

Thank you

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;You didn&#039;t mention whether ypou are using IERenderer or Bearhtml as your html display engine. I would be interested to check out the message in Bearhtml either way, so I would appreciate receiving a copy. Please mail it to irelam@telus.net using the same sending method as mentioned ablove in the message from IDW.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thank you&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

The message itself is plain text, although in an unusual (for the English-speaking world) character set. I use IERenderer.

The message itself is plain text, although in an unusual (for the English-speaking world) character set. I use IERenderer.

Just to let you know, the message does not crash Bearhtml.

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;Just to let you know, the message does not crash Bearhtml.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Mark Irving"]Done - although the crash dump took two attempts. Let me know if it isn't what you need or does not arrive.[/quote]

Thanks. Forgot that David Harris' server is currently down for maintenance so it may take a while until I get it.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Mark Irving&quot;]Done - although the crash dump took two attempts. Let me know if it isn&#039;t what you need or does not arrive.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks. Forgot that David Harris&#039; server is currently down for maintenance so it may take a while until I get it. &lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

[quote user="Mark Irving"]The message itself is plain text, although in an unusual (for the English-speaking world) character set. I use IERenderer.[/quote]

Martin kindly forwarded the message to me as well and I didn't encounter any issues at all: The Japanese part if displayed properly as are the URLs. Now I'm waiting for David Harris' server being up again for accessing the dump(s). I'm still discussing with Martin what's different with his and mine test results since there are some which don't cause a crash, though.

BTW: Would it be possible that the original message you get is S/MIME signed? If so we definitely need the CNM file instead of a forwarded message since the latter misses the proper S/MIME formatting (I've recently had a user encountering a similar issue which I implemented a workaround for in the S/MIME handling routines of my decryptor extensions - maybe it would solve it for you as well).

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Mark Irving&quot;]The message itself is plain text, although in an unusual (for the English-speaking world) character set. I use IERenderer.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin kindly forwarded the message to me as well and I didn&#039;t encounter any issues at all: The Japanese part if displayed properly as are the URLs. Now I&#039;m waiting for David Harris&#039; server being up again for accessing the dump(s). I&#039;m still discussing with Martin what&#039;s different with his and mine test results since there are some which don&#039;t cause a crash, though.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;BTW: Would it be possible that the original message you get is S/MIME signed? If so we definitely need the CNM file instead of a forwarded message since the latter misses the proper S/MIME formatting (I&#039;ve recently had a user encountering a similar issue which I implemented a workaround for in the S/MIME handling routines of my decryptor extensions - maybe it would solve it for you as well). &lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

[quote user="idw"]...The Japanese part if displayed properly as are the URLs.[/quote]

The Japanese part of messages never displays properly for me -- perhaps that is also a clue?

[quote user="idw"]BTW: Would it be possible that the original message you get is S/MIME signed? If so we definitely need the CNM file instead of a forwarded message since the latter misses the proper S/MIME formatting.[/quote]

I don't think this is an S/MIME signed message. I have sent you a private e-mail  with the dump file and original message CNM attached.

Mark

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;idw&quot;]...The Japanese part if displayed properly as are the URLs.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;The Japanese part of messages never displays properly for me -- perhaps that is also a clue?&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;idw&quot;]BTW: Would it be possible that the original message you get is S/MIME signed? If so we definitely need the CNM file instead of a forwarded message since the latter misses the proper S/MIME formatting.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t think this is an S/MIME signed message. I have sent you a private e-mail&amp;nbsp; with the dump file and original message CNM attached.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Mark &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Mark Irving"]The Japanese part of messages never displays properly for me -- perhaps that is also a clue?[/quote]

Sounds like your installation of Pegasus Mail is somehow broken. I suggest to install an additional Pegasus Mail in a different location for testing: You can simply delete it once you're finished with testing and reinstall over the current one for correcting the Registry if you don't want to keep the new one anyway.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Mark Irving&quot;]The Japanese part of messages never displays properly for me -- perhaps that is also a clue?[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Sounds like your installation of Pegasus Mail is somehow broken. I suggest to install an additional Pegasus Mail in a different location for testing: You can simply delete it once you&#039;re finished with testing and reinstall over the current one for correcting the Registry if you don&#039;t want to keep the new one anyway. &lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Fresh new installation of Pegasus Mail 4.70, in a new installation directory/folder, then set up to use my existing user mailboxes (which are in a separate folder from either program directory, old or new). The problem message still shows junk for the little fragment of Japanese, still mistakenly starts a huge multi-line URL highlighting inside it, and still crashes when I scroll down another screen-ful or so past that big highlighted section. Tentative conclusion: this isn't a problem caused by a broken installation.

Mark

&lt;p&gt;Fresh new installation of Pegasus Mail 4.70, in a new installation directory/folder, then set up to use my existing user mailboxes (which are in a separate folder from either program directory, old or new). The problem message still shows junk for the little fragment of Japanese, still mistakenly starts a huge multi-line URL highlighting inside it, and still crashes when I scroll down another screen-ful or so past that big highlighted section. Tentative conclusion: this isn&#039;t a problem caused by a broken installation.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Mark &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Mark Irving"]Tentative conclusion: this isn't a problem caused by a broken installation.[/quote]

Too bad! Fortunately David Harris' server is up again so I can access the beta-reports account now. Unfortunately it doesn't show your messages there, so would you mind to resend them (the CNM and a crash dump)? You should get an immediate automatic reply after doing so.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Mark Irving&quot;]Tentative conclusion: this isn&#039;t a problem caused by a broken installation.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Too bad! Fortunately David Harris&#039; server is up again so I can access the beta-reports account now. Unfortunately it doesn&#039;t show your messages there, so would you mind to resend them (the CNM and a crash dump)? You should get an immediate automatic reply after doing so. &lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Auto-generated crash dump message, with CNM also attached, and the extra information inserted as well, just sent. This time I did get an automated acknowledgement.

Mark

&lt;p&gt;Auto-generated crash dump message, with CNM also attached, and the extra information inserted as well, just sent. This time I did get an automated acknowledgement.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Mark &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Mark Irving"]Auto-generated crash dump message, with CNM also attached, and the extra information inserted as well, just sent.[/quote]

Thanks, got them, but still no luck. The dump shows the expected result: a TER issue which I've seen before with the S/MIME message I already mentioned. The only help for fixing would be a crash happening in David Harris' test environment, but since your message doesn't crash Martin Ireland's nor my machine odds are very low for such an outcome. Maybe I can create a test message myself from the above mentioned S/MIME message.

This doesn't solve the display issue for you either, though: Why doesn't the Japanese get decode and displayed properly on your machine only (as tested so far) ...?

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Mark Irving&quot;]Auto-generated crash dump message, with CNM also attached, and the extra information inserted as well, just sent.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks, got them, but still no luck. The dump shows the expected result: a TER issue which I&#039;ve seen before with the S/MIME message I already mentioned. The only help for fixing would be a crash happening in David Harris&#039; test environment, but since your message doesn&#039;t crash Martin Ireland&#039;s nor my machine odds are very low for such an outcome. Maybe I can create a test message myself from the above mentioned S/MIME message.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;This doesn&#039;t solve the display issue for you either, though: Why doesn&#039;t the Japanese get decode and displayed properly on your machine only (as tested so far) ...? &lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

OK, got an idea: If I disable Reformat long lines in the reader window the Japanese doesn't get decoded properly anymore and I can see the long pseudo-URL as you do - and it does crash Pegasus Mail here as well! So for a workaround you might want to enable Reformat long lines in your reader window as well and I can provide David Harris with a valid test!

OK, got an idea: If I disable &lt;i&gt;Reformat long lines&lt;/i&gt; in the reader window the Japanese doesn&#039;t get decoded properly anymore and I can see the long pseudo-URL as you do - and it &lt;i&gt;does&lt;/i&gt; crash Pegasus Mail here as well! So for a workaround you might want to enable &lt;i&gt;Reformat long lines&lt;/i&gt; in your reader window as well and I can provide David Harris with a valid test!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

[quote user="idw"]...disable Reformat long lines in the reader window the Japanese doesn't get decoded properly anymore and I can see the long pseudo-URL as you do - and it does crash Pegasus Mail here as well! ...[/quote]

Thank you for investigating so patiently! Yes, Reformat long lines fixes display of Japanese, fixes the long pseudo-URL highlighting and prevents the crash. My usual setting is Wrap long lines and either that, or both options turned off, shows the problem.

Disabling display of clickable hyperlinks and using Reformat long lines are either of them enough for me for the moment. Of course a fix from David Harris in some future version of Pegasus Mail would also be appreciated.

I've been a happy user of Pegasus Mail since 1997, and the conscientious work put in by David and the top helpers on these forums is very much appreciated.

Mark

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;idw&quot;]...disable &lt;i&gt;Reformat long lines&lt;/i&gt; in the reader window the Japanese doesn&#039;t get decoded properly anymore and I can see the long pseudo-URL as you do - and it &lt;i&gt;does&lt;/i&gt; crash Pegasus Mail here as well! ...[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thank you for investigating so patiently! Yes, &lt;i&gt;Reformat long lines&lt;/i&gt; fixes display of Japanese, fixes the long pseudo-URL highlighting and prevents the crash. My usual setting is &lt;i&gt;Wrap long lines&lt;/i&gt; and either that, or both options turned off, shows the problem.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Disabling display of clickable hyperlinks and using &lt;i&gt;Reformat long lines&lt;/i&gt; are either of them enough for me for the moment. Of course a fix from David Harris in some future version of Pegasus Mail would also be appreciated.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ve been a happy user of Pegasus Mail since 1997, and the conscientious work put in by David and the top helpers on these forums is very much appreciated.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Mark &lt;/p&gt;

Text in the body of an email message similar to

<xy?wz
C:\Users\Mark\Documents\work

...repeat for loads and loads...

uh?>

crashes Pegasus Mail  when the message is displayed, whatever the setting of Reformat long lines, provided URLs are being highlighted. Japanese text not necessary; that perhaps suggests there are two bugs to be fixed, one for long URLs and the other for displaying Japanese.

- Mark

&lt;p&gt;Text in the body of an email message similar to&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;xy?wz C:\Users\Mark\Documents\work C:\Users\Mark\Documents\work&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;...repeat for loads and loads...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;uh?&amp;gt; C:\Users\Mark\Documents\work C:\Users\Mark\Documents\work&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;crashes Pegasus Mail&amp;nbsp; when the message is displayed, whatever the setting of &lt;i&gt;Reformat long lines&lt;/i&gt;, provided URLs are being highlighted. Japanese text not necessary; that perhaps suggests there are two bugs to be fixed, one for long URLs and the other for displaying Japanese.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;- Mark &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft