Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Changing "Focus" Requires Two Mouse Clicks Instead of One

I'm afraid I'm on Mr. Hanson's side here.

My example is the Address Book Window. Address Books are listed in upper left pane; address entries in the pane below; and address details in right pane.

Bring up the Address Book window

Select a Book

Select an entry - it is NOT selected

Click it again - NOW it's selected

Now that you are in the Window, going back and forth between Books and Entries selects with a single click.

A non-Pegasus example of focus switching:

Have browser open and in focus, sharing screen with a text editor, word processor, whatever (so you can see both).

With a single mouse click-and-sweep, select text in other app, a url maybe, or anything.

Note that focus switches AND text selection occurs.

Also, with text selected in other app, switch to browser via click.

Now right-click selected text in other app - context menu appears - NO second click needed.

This says focus-switching and an operation action can and should be done with one mouse operation. If focus-switching is handled by it's own listener, that listener should then call/allow operation listener to have control. My opinion, anyway.

Chryasor

<p>I'm afraid I'm on Mr. Hanson's side here.</p><p> </p><p>My example is the Address Book Window. Address Books are listed in upper left pane; address entries in the pane below; and address details in right pane.</p><p>Bring up the Address Book window</p><p>Select a Book</p><p>Select an entry - it is NOT selected</p><p>Click it again - NOW it's selected</p><p>Now that you are in the Window, going back and forth between Books and Entries selects with a single click.</p><p>A non-Pegasus example of focus switching:</p><p>Have browser open and in focus, sharing screen with a text editor, word processor, whatever (so you can see both).</p><p>With a single mouse click-and-sweep, select text in other app, a url maybe, or anything.</p><p>Note that focus switches AND text selection occurs.</p><p>Also, with text selected in other app, switch to browser via click.</p><p>Now right-click selected text in other app - context menu appears - NO second click needed.</p><p>This says focus-switching and an operation action can and should be done with one mouse operation. If focus-switching is handled by it's own listener, that listener should then call/allow operation listener to have control. My opinion, anyway.</p><p>Chryasor </p>

Hello,

In all other Windows programs, when one clicks in a new window within the program, the focus is automatically shifted to that window.

In Pegasus one has to click twice to do this and it is both surprising each time and annoying.

For example if I am composing an e-mail and wish to copy some text from another opened e-mail, I cannot simply copy the text. As soon as I try to click-and-drag to select the text, all I get instead is a flashing cursor at the first point of insertion. Instead I have to click once to change the focus to the new window, and then I have to click and drag to select the text.

Although I've been using Pegasus for roughly 20 years and it is one of the main programs that I use every single day, I never get used to it. Every other Windows program allows me to select the text by clicking and dragging just once.

If you could fix this behavior, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

<p>Hello,</p><p>In all other Windows programs, when one clicks in a new window within the program, the focus is automatically shifted to that window.</p><p>In Pegasus one has to click twice to do this and it is both surprising each time and annoying.</p><p>For example if I am composing an e-mail and wish to copy some text from another opened e-mail, I <b>cannot</b> simply copy the text. As soon as I try to click-and-drag to select the text, all I get instead is a flashing cursor at the first point of insertion. Instead I have to click once to change the focus to the new window, and <b>then</b> I have to click and drag to select the text.</p><p> Although I've been using Pegasus for roughly 20 years and it is one of the main programs that I use every single day, I never get used to it. Every other Windows program allows me to select the text by clicking and dragging just once.</p><p>If you could fix this behavior, it would be highly appreciated.</p><p> Thanks! </p>

My intent is not to be antagonistic but I find it curious that you find the 'change focus' click abnormal.  You say the every other program allows you to select text by clicking and dragging just once.  What programs are those?  I know that if I have two spreadsheets open and arranged in one Excel window (Office 2007) and want to copy data from one spread to the other I must switch focus before being able to select a cell.  The same applies in Word as well as in the accounting program used at the office.  The only exception to this behavior that I am aware of is when running multiple instances of Windows Explorer.  The cursor location is recognized in each window allowing you to navigate without a 'change focus' click.  Perhaps you are using Win8 and its apps behave differently from Win7 and previous?

<p>My intent is not to be antagonistic but I find it curious that you find the 'change focus' click abnormal.  You say the every other program allows you to select text by clicking and dragging just once.  What programs are those?  I know that if I have two spreadsheets open and arranged in one Excel window (Office 2007) and want to copy data from one spread to the other I must switch focus before being able to select a cell.  The same applies in Word as well as in the accounting program used at the office.  The only exception to this behavior that I am aware of is when running multiple instances of Windows Explorer.  The cursor location is recognized in each window allowing you to navigate without a 'change focus' click.  Perhaps you are using Win8 and its apps behave differently from Win7 and previous? </p>

I may not be understanding your problem, but there are two or more operations performed when transferring info from one window to another. There is the selection of the text, using the cursor, secondly there is the clicking of the target window to tell Windows that all subseqent mouse and keyboard activity should be passed to that target window, and lastly there is the mouse click or keyboard Ctrl C to paste the selected data into the target window at the cursor position.

The only exceptions I know of that bypasses this, are the drag & drop operation and the Windows Explorer copy between windows, But that is actually just child-windows in Windows Explorer talking to each other. 

Martin 

<p>I may not be understanding your problem, but there are two or more operations performed when transferring info from one window to another. There is the selection of the text, using the cursor, secondly there is the clicking of the target window to tell Windows that all subseqent mouse and keyboard activity should be passed to that target window, and lastly there is the mouse click or keyboard Ctrl C to paste the selected data into the target window at the cursor position.</p><p>The only exceptions I know of that bypasses this, are the drag & drop operation and the Windows Explorer copy between windows, But that is actually just child-windows in Windows Explorer talking to each other. </p><p>Martin </p>

thanks for the list guys. it'll really help me.

<span style="font-size:70%;font-family:verdana;color:#d99594;" data-sheets-value="[null,2,"thanks for the list guys. it'll really help me."]" data-sheets-userformat="[null,null,14592,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,0,null,null,[null,2,14259604],"verdana",7]">thanks for the list guys. it'll really help me.</span>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft