Community Discussions and Support
Sender: maiser ... ?

[quote user="Vincent Fatica"]

But I did discover that the queue's QDF file is not locked at daemon call-time and can simply be edited by the daemon.  Now I have a working daemon in place getting rid of the "Sender: Maiser" header.

[/quote]

You MUST NOT DO THIS! This is so much of a problem that if I find that a Daemon is doing it, I will be forced to add code to Mercury to detect and suppress loading of that daemon. Mercury DOES provide a daemon-level method of modifying the raw data files of a job, but it's not shown in the current version of the daemon toolkit. Even so, that is the only approved way of modifying the actual data fork of a job, and you must not attempt to do it "behind Mercury's back" in this way.

The real problem here is the mail program that's trying to reply to Maiser. The RFC822/2822 definition of the Sender: field is quite unambiguous - it must be used whenever the entity sending the message is not the same entity as the one shown in the "From" field - the most usual example is a secretary sending a message on behalf of her boss. It makes no sense for the reply to go to the secretary - the mail program should be sending the reply to the actual author.

I'll consider adding an option to suppress or restructure the "Sender" field in an upcoming version of Mercury, but initially, I'd be trying to find out why the mail client is doing such a bizarre thing.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="Vincent Fatica"]<p>But I did discover that the queue's QDF file is not locked at daemon call-time and can simply be edited by the daemon.  Now I have a working daemon in place getting rid of the "Sender: Maiser" header. </p><p>[/quote] You MUST NOT DO THIS! This is so much of a problem that if I find that a Daemon is doing it, I will be forced to add code to Mercury to detect and suppress loading of that daemon. Mercury DOES provide a daemon-level method of modifying the raw data files of a job, but it's not shown in the current version of the daemon toolkit. Even so, that is the only approved way of modifying the actual data fork of a job, and you must not attempt to do it "behind Mercury's back" in this way. The real problem here is the mail program that's trying to reply to Maiser. The RFC822/2822 definition of the Sender: field is quite unambiguous - it must be used whenever the entity sending the message is not the same entity as the one shown in the "From" field - the most usual example is a secretary sending a message on behalf of her boss. It makes no sense for the reply to go to the secretary - the mail program should be sending the reply to the actual author. I'll consider adding an option to suppress or restructure the "Sender" field in an upcoming version of Mercury, but initially, I'd be trying to find out why the mail client is doing such a bizarre thing. Cheers! -- David -- </p>

Can I prevent Mercury/32 from supplying this header when sending mail to mailing lists?

Thanks.

<p>Can I prevent Mercury/32 from supplying this header when sending mail to mailing lists?</p><p>Thanks.</p><p> </p>

Can I prevent Mercury/32 from supplying this header when sending mail to mailing lists?

Thanks.

[/quote]

Nope. why would you want to?

[quote user="Vincent Fatica"]<p>Can I prevent Mercury/32 from supplying this header when sending mail to mailing lists?</p><p>Thanks.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Nope. why would you want to?</p><p> </p>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Vincent Fatica"]

Thanks.

[/quote]

Nope. why would you want to?

[/quote]

... because some software in use here is showing users "Received from Maiser ... on behalf of ...".  Some users are replying to maiser which is pointless.  Maiser is disabled, either by an alias or by a delete rule.

How about a daemon to remove the "Sender:" header?

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Vincent Fatica"]<p>Can I prevent Mercury/32 from supplying this header when sending mail to mailing lists?</p><p>Thanks.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Nope. why would you want to?</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>... because some software in use here is showing users "Received from Maiser ... on behalf of ...".  Some users are replying to maiser which is pointless.  Maiser is disabled, either by an alias or by a delete rule.</p><p>How about a daemon to remove the "Sender:" header?</p><p>  </p>

I had said : "How about a daemon to remove the "Sender:" header?"

I meant to ask if this is feasible with a daemon extension.

<p>I had said : "How about a daemon to remove the "Sender:" header?"</p><p>I meant to ask if this is feasible with a daemon extension.</p><p>  </p>

[/quote]

You can write a daemon to modify the mail in most any way so removing or changing the SENDER: line is quite possible with a Mercury/32 daemon.

[quote user="Vincent Fatica"]<p>I had said : "How about a daemon to remove the "Sender:" header?"</p><p>I meant to ask if this is feasible with a daemon extension. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>You can write a daemon to modify the mail in most any way so removing or changing the SENDER: line is quite possible with a Mercury/32 daemon. </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Vincent Fatica"]

[/quote]

You can write a daemon to modify the mail in most any way so removing or changing the SENDER: line is quite possible with a Mercury/32 daemon.

[/quote]

Got any tips?  I couldn't find any functions that could be used to remove a header from a message.

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Vincent Fatica"]<p>I had said : "How about a daemon to remove the "Sender:" header?"</p><p>I meant to ask if this is feasible with a daemon extension. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>You can write a daemon to modify the mail in most any way so removing or changing the SENDER: line is quite possible with a Mercury/32 daemon. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Got any tips?  I couldn't find any functions that could be used to remove a header from a message.  </p>

[quote user="Vincent Fatica"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Vincent Fatica"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Got any tips?  I couldn't find any functions that could be used to remove a header from a message.

[/quote]

None at all, but you might want to talk to Lucas (Clamwall, Spamhalter, Graywall) ask him for help.  Lucas has a Paypal account that might be useful to get him to create something for you for a fee since he's got a full time job that keeps him very busy.

[quote user="Vincent Fatica"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Vincent Fatica"]<p>I had said : "How about a daemon to remove the "Sender:" header?"</p><p>I meant to ask if this is feasible with a daemon extension. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>You can write a daemon to modify the mail in most any way so removing or changing the SENDER: line is quite possible with a Mercury/32 daemon. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Got any tips?  I couldn't find any functions that could be used to remove a header from a message. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>None at all, but you might want to talk to Lucas (Clamwall, Spamhalter, Graywall) ask him for help.  Lucas has a Paypal account that might be useful to get him to create something for you for a fee since he's got a full time job that keeps him very busy. </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Vincent Fatica"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Vincent Fatica"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But I did discover that the queue's QDF file is not locked at daemon call-time and can simply be edited by the daemon.  Now I have a working daemon in place getting rid of the "Sender: Maiser" header.

[quote user="Vincent Fatica"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="Vincent Fatica"]<p>I had said : "How about a daemon to remove the "Sender:" header?"</p><p>I meant to ask if this is feasible with a daemon extension. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>You can write a daemon to modify the mail in most any way so removing or changing the SENDER: line is quite possible with a Mercury/32 daemon. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Got any tips?  I couldn't find any functions that could be used to remove a header from a message.  </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>But I did discover that the queue's QDF file is not locked at daemon call-time and can simply be edited by the daemon.  Now I have a working daemon in place getting rid of the "Sender: Maiser" header.  </p>

I would also love to get rid of this. Please help me!

I would also love to get rid of this. Please help me!
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft