Community Discussions and Support
Location of programme and message folders

[quote user="PaulW"]Help / About Pegasus Mail / Info[/quote]

And while you are there, don't forget to click the picture of the flying horse!

<p>[quote user="PaulW"]Help / About Pegasus Mail / Info[/quote]</p><p>And while you are there, don't forget to click the picture of the flying horse!</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

I noticed a recommendation in the installation advice to keep these in the same  folder.  Is there a reason for this advice?  I ask because it hads been my standard practice since my Amstrad PCW days to keep all data separate from programmes.  In my current installation with two physical hard disks, I have the operating system, prorgammes and data on separate partitions, with the data partition on the second hard disk.   Doing this simplifies backup for me (I use disk imaging software), and has saved me for major  disasters.  I would be loath to give up these practices.

best  wishes

I noticed a recommendation in the installation advice to keep these in the same  folder.  Is there a reason for this advice?  I ask because it hads been my standard practice since my Amstrad PCW days to keep all data separate from programmes.  In my current installation with two physical hard disks, I have the operating system, prorgammes and data on separate partitions, with the data partition on the second hard disk.   Doing this simplifies backup for me (I use disk imaging software), and has saved me for major  disasters.  I would be loath to give up these practices. best  wishes

[quote user="Niall Martin"]I noticed a recommendation in the installation advice to keep these in the same folder. Is there a reason for this advice? I ask because it hads been my standard practice since my Amstrad PCW days to keep all data separate from programmes. In my current installation with two physical hard disks, I have the operating system, prorgammes and data on separate partitions, with the data partition on the second hard disk. Doing this simplifies backup for me (I use disk imaging software), and has saved me for major disasters. I would be loath to give up these practices.

best wishes

[/quote]

Not a problem, keep the paths simple though.  By default Pegasus Mail and Mercury/32 use mail folder in subdirectories to the mail directory.  That though is not a requirement, many put the program and data on different volumes or even on different systems.   I would recommend that you use the UNC \\server\volume\path \~n format when specifying the HOME and NEW mail directory spec to take the drive letter mapping out of the equation though.  I even split the HOME and NEW mail directories as well.  This shows a setup running WinPMail on the local hard drive with the mailboxes on a different system using different HOME and NEW mail directories.

Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows
Copyright (C) 1992-2006, David Harris, all rights reserved
Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz.

WinPMail version: Version 4.4 VC7 (Win32), Aug 14 2007
Language resources: Standard UK English resource set
Extension Manager version: 1.13
Operating mode: Standalone
User name and ID: support, 0
Windows version: 5.1
Windows flag word: 0
WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\pmail
Home mailbox location: \\tstephenson\c_drive\pmail\mail\thomas
New mailbox location: \\tstephenson\c_drive\pmail\mail\support
TMP environment variable: c:\Temp
TEMP environment variable: c:\Temp
LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled
  - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0
  - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL
Commandline: -i support -ms
Active -Z options: 32768
PMR variable: (None)
PML variable: (None)
MAI variable: (None)
NB variable: (None)

<p>[quote user="Niall Martin"]I noticed a recommendation in the installation advice to keep these in the same folder. Is there a reason for this advice? I ask because it hads been my standard practice since my Amstrad PCW days to keep all data separate from programmes. In my current installation with two physical hard disks, I have the operating system, prorgammes and data on separate partitions, with the data partition on the second hard disk. Doing this simplifies backup for me (I use disk imaging software), and has saved me for major disasters. I would be loath to give up these practices. best wishes [/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Not a problem, keep the paths simple though.  By default Pegasus Mail and Mercury/32 use mail folder in subdirectories to the mail directory.  That though is not a requirement, many put the program and data on different volumes or even on different systems.   I would recommend that you use the UNC \\server\volume\path \~n format when specifying the HOME and NEW mail directory spec to take the drive letter mapping out of the equation though.  I even split the HOME and NEW mail directories as well.  This shows a setup running WinPMail on the local hard drive with the mailboxes on a different system using different HOME and NEW mail directories.</p><p> </p>Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows Copyright (C) 1992-2006, David Harris, all rights reserved Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz. WinPMail version: Version 4.4 VC7 (Win32), Aug 14 2007 Language resources: Standard UK English resource set Extension Manager version: 1.13 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: support, 0 Windows version: 5.1 Windows flag word: 0 WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\pmail Home mailbox location: \\tstephenson\c_drive\pmail\mail\thomas New mailbox location: \\tstephenson\c_drive\pmail\mail\support TMP environment variable: c:\Temp TEMP environment variable: c:\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled   - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0   - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: -i support -ms Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: (None) PML variable: (None) MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None) <p> </p><p>   </p>

Thanks.  By the way what is the file name whose contents you copied to me.  it isn't pmail.ini, or at least it doesn't look like mine at all.

Thanks.  By the way what is the file name whose contents you copied to me.  it isn't pmail.ini, or at least it doesn't look like mine at all.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft