Pegasus Mail Suggestions
UAC Issue

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I have to admit that since I only use PMail on a home network, and since I'm the sole user on my computers (PC and laptop), the issue of portability and multiple access didn't occur to me; I agree that it makes the issue of multiple users' data just a *wee* bit more complicated than I'd envisioned.

Just as an aside to Martin's last comment, I don't think program code is stored in the \<user>\AppData directory, although configuration files are. Anyway, it's usable as-is even though I installed it in \Program Files; the Task Scheduler workaround seems to work fine.

The only thing left is the oddity that my center mouse button doesn't have its normal double-click functionality within PMail the way it did in XP; I suppose it's yet another "feature"... ;-)

Bob

&lt;p&gt;Thanks to both of you for the responses. I have to admit that since I only use PMail on a home network, and since I&#039;m the sole user on my computers (PC and laptop), the issue of portability and multiple access didn&#039;t occur to me; I agree that it makes the issue of multiple users&#039; data just a *wee* bit more complicated than I&#039;d envisioned.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Just as an aside to Martin&#039;s last comment, I don&#039;t think program code is stored in the \&amp;lt;user&amp;gt;\AppData directory, although configuration files are. Anyway, it&#039;s usable as-is even though I installed it in \Program Files; the Task Scheduler workaround seems to work fine.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The only thing left is the oddity that my center mouse button doesn&#039;t have its normal double-click functionality within PMail the way it did in XP; I suppose it&#039;s yet another &quot;feature&quot;... ;-)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Bob &lt;/p&gt;

Hi. I'm new to the forum, but I've been using PMail since the early '90's. I apologize if this has been covered, but I couldn't find anything about it in the forum archives. Specifically, I realize that UAC causes a minor problem (UAC "permission" popup) if PMail is installed in the \Program Files directory, and I understand why; I only recently upgraded from WinXP to Win7 and first encountered the issue. My suggestion (actually a question): Is there any plan to modify PMail so that it follows the new method of putting all the "dynamic" program files in the \Users\<user>\AppData location? I have no idea how much rewriting this would require, but if it's doable it would be a "nice to have". Thanks.

Hi. I&#039;m new to the forum, but I&#039;ve been using PMail since the early &#039;90&#039;s. I apologize if this has been covered, but I couldn&#039;t find anything about it in the forum archives. Specifically, I realize that UAC causes a minor problem (UAC &quot;permission&quot; popup) if PMail is installed in the \Program Files directory, and I understand why; I only recently upgraded from WinXP to Win7 and first encountered the issue. My suggestion (actually a question): Is there any plan to modify PMail so that it follows the new method of putting all the &quot;dynamic&quot; program files in the \Users\&amp;lt;user&amp;gt;\AppData location? I have no idea how much rewriting this would require, but if it&#039;s doable it would be a &quot;nice to have&quot;. Thanks.

The suggested, and the initial default directory is c:\pmail, which does not suffer the problems caused by installing in the c:\program files (x86) directory tree, that is protected by UAC  etc.

The installation process prompts for a location to install Pegasus Mail into. It can be anywhere except the c:\program Files directories to avoid UAC. So the \Users\<User>\Appdata  would work fine. but bear in mind that the directory path cannot contain any blank characters.

Martin

&lt;p&gt;The suggested, and the initial default directory is c:\pmail, which does not suffer the problems caused by installing in the c:\program files (x86) directory tree, that is protected by UAC&amp;nbsp; etc. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The installation process prompts for a location to install Pegasus Mail into. It can be anywhere except the c:\program Files directories to avoid UAC. So the \Users\&amp;lt;User&amp;gt;\Appdata&amp;nbsp; would work fine. but bear in mind that the directory path cannot contain any blank characters.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin &lt;/p&gt;

Bobs' question is one I have been wondering about myself.  We know that the current program requires installation outside of \Program Files but is there any indication that v5 will put the dynamic files in %appdata%? 

Knowing how Pegasus Mail works I envision great difficulty in making its dynamic files PC user specific.  Consider that there can be multiple Pegasus Mail users for a single PC user ( a very valuable capability).  Also consider the multi-user capability of Pegasus Mail where a single installation can be run by multiple different users from any PC on a LAN without concern whether the Pegasus Mail user has a profile on the PC it is being run from.   This couldn't happen if %appdata% was utilized.  I would hate to lose any of this flexibility just to follow convention.  Of course with MS we never know when a convention may become a mandate.

&lt;p&gt;Bobs&#039; question is one I have been wondering about myself.&amp;nbsp; We know that the current program requires installation outside of \Program Files but is there any indication that v5 will put the dynamic files in %appdata%?&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Knowing how Pegasus Mail works I envision great difficulty in making its dynamic files PC user specific.&amp;nbsp; Consider that there can be multiple Pegasus Mail users for a single PC user ( a very valuable capability).&amp;nbsp; Also consider the multi-user capability of Pegasus Mail where a single installation can be run by multiple different users from any PC on a LAN without concern whether the Pegasus Mail user has a profile on the PC it is being run from. &amp;nbsp; This couldn&#039;t happen if %appdata% was utilized.&amp;nbsp; I would hate to lose any of this flexibility just to follow convention.&amp;nbsp; Of course with MS we never know when a convention may become a mandate. &lt;/p&gt;

Brian,  I agree with you.   The key to all this IMHO is that that each user or Mailfolder must be read/write to the O.S. As there is little control or approval given to a particular user and a mailfolder location.  I think the current c:\ Pmail\User\<username> is a good location if it is read/write.  It does indicate some limited scope/ownership to the directories and files beneath it (even if O.S is only granting access to c:\pmail).

Of course this will be partly solved when user data is stored in a database and permissions can be granted etc.

On a second point, I would not want to see program code stored in the AppData directory tree, as programs aren't data. 

Martin

&lt;p&gt;Brian,&amp;nbsp; I agree with you.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; The key to all this IMHO is that that each user or Mailfolder must be read/write to the O.S. As there is little control or approval given to a particular user and a mailfolder location.&amp;nbsp; I think the current c:\ Pmail\User\&amp;lt;username&amp;gt; is a good location if it is read/write.&amp;nbsp; It does indicate some limited scope/ownership to the directories and files beneath it (even if O.S is only granting access to c:\pmail).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Of course this will be partly solved when user data is stored in a database and permissions can be granted etc. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;On a second point, I would not want to see program code stored in the AppData directory tree, as programs aren&#039;t data.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft