Community Discussions and Support
Copy/paste errors

Hi,

since the update to 4.8.1028 I have two problems with copying/pasting text:

1. When I paste rich text into a mail (for example a simple table from excel), Pegasus Mail sometimes crashes. Not everytime and not reproducible with the same text.

2. When I use IE renderer, copy some text out of a html styled mail and try to paste it into MS word or Outlook calendar, nothing is inserted at all. But it still works with notepad or in plain text form fields in outlook.

Thanks for having an eye on it!

Hi, since the update to 4.8.1028 I have two problems with copying/pasting text: 1. When I paste rich text into a mail (for example a simple table from excel), Pegasus Mail sometimes crashes. Not everytime and not reproducible with the same text. 2. When I use IE renderer, copy some text out of a html styled mail and try to paste it into MS word or Outlook calendar, nothing is inserted at all. But it still works with notepad or in plain text form fields in outlook. Thanks for having an eye on it!

Thanks for opening this thread and just a short note about the second issue: Insertion is clearly an issue of the receiver: If they expect to get something extra-ordinary special instead of simple plain text (as the plain edit controls obviously can handle) I can't help it. I'm sure the Rich Edit controls (which MSO and other office packages use) have a paste special capability as Pegasus Mail does as well on their plate. It's finally the IE renderer itself as you certainly know, which creates the RTF and HTML on the clipboard, so if MSO can't handle it's own stuff I don't know who alse should (aside from the fact that it does a pretty bad job on HTML to RTF conversion without providing any proper documentation other than the MSO stuff, BTW) ...

Thanks for opening this thread and just a short note about the second issue: Insertion is clearly an issue of the receiver: If they expect to get something extra-ordinary special instead of simple plain text (as the plain edit controls obviously can handle) I can't help it. I'm sure the Rich Edit controls (which MSO and other office packages use) have a paste special capability as Pegasus Mail does as well on their plate. It's finally the IE renderer itself as you certainly know, which creates the RTF and HTML on the clipboard, so if MSO can't handle it's own stuff I don't know who alse should (aside from the fact that it does a pretty bad job on HTML to RTF conversion without providing any proper documentation other than the MSO stuff, BTW) ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Mar 15 '22 at 6:41 am

Hello, I don't know if I should open a new thread. I have a somehow related problem.

Pegasus 4.8.1028 and IER 2.6.5.11. Replying to some HTML messages, cause Pegasus to crash more frequently than it was with Pegasus 4.7 with older IER.

Trying to override the problem, I tried not to "Include the text of original message in the reply" and pasting the copied HTML text from received message.

I was able to start an empty reply message with all email addresses to reply to, but when I tried to paste original message HTML text, Pegasus crashed.

Hello, I don't know if I should open a new thread. I have a somehow related problem. Pegasus 4.8.1028 and IER 2.6.5.11. Replying to some HTML messages, cause Pegasus to crash more frequently than it was with Pegasus 4.7 with older IER. Trying to override the problem, I tried not to "Include the text of original message in the reply" and pasting the copied HTML text from received message. I was able to start an empty reply message with all email addresses to reply to, but when I tried to paste original message HTML text, Pegasus crashed.

I was able to start an empty reply message with all email addresses to reply to, but when I tried to paste original message HTML text, Pegasus crashed.

Can duplicate it with this message? If so please forward it as an attachment (this is important so it doesn't get modified and you can nevertheless add your comments) to < beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz >.

TIA

[quote=&quot;pid:53684, uid:10969&quot;]I was able to start an empty reply message with all email addresses to reply to, but when I tried to paste original message HTML text, Pegasus crashed.[/quote] Can duplicate it with this message? If so please forward it _as an attachment_ (this is important so it doesn&#039;t get modified and you can nevertheless add your comments) to &lt; beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz &gt;. TIA
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Apr 8 '22 at 6:12 am

please forward it as an attachment (this is important so it doesn't get modified and you can nevertheless add your comments) to < beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz >

Sure, just done.

[quote=&quot;pid:53685, uid:2133&quot;]please forward it as an attachment (this is important so it doesn&#039;t get modified and you can nevertheless add your comments) to &lt; beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz &gt;[/quote] Sure, just done.

Sure, just done.

I've now done some testing, Nick, and not encountered any issues, but this doesn't mean there are any on your system because I've already fixed several items after the IER release you're using, so maybe yours has already been covered as well for the next update.

[quote=&quot;pid:53686, uid:10969&quot;]Sure, just done.[/quote] I&#039;ve now done some testing, Nick, and not encountered any issues, but this doesn&#039;t mean there are any on your system because I&#039;ve already fixed several items after the IER release you&#039;re using, so maybe yours has already been covered as well for the next update.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

When I paste rich text into a mail (for example a simple table from excel), Pegasus Mail sometimes crashes. Not everytime and not reproducible with the same text.

Mick, it's almost impossible to fix issues like this without having any further data available, we will need to go into debug mode using my MiniDump extension maybe after the next IER release I'm currently preparing.

When I use IE renderer, copy some text out of a html styled mail and try to paste it into MS word or Outlook calendar, nothing is inserted at all. But it still works with notepad or in plain text form fields in outlook.

But I'm writing this reply primarily because of this issue: In general I can only say: Issues with pasting are pretty much the job of the receiver, not the sender, especially not if it's the inventor of the RTF data format involved here. If they can't deal with the more elaborated format they are supposed to automatically pick up the simpler one which you already could get working yourself.

But anyway, I've modified something and am now copying another RTF format (actually the same data using a different label) to the clipboard which might change the results for you (and a few other people reporting similar issues) after the next IER update. I still can't duplicate any of this since it all works properly with Wordpad (MS Word's little sister) and LibreOffice. But there needs to be a reminder: In some cases the conversion of HTML to RTF just fails and there will only be plain text available. I'm now just converting this plain text back to RTF format but it'll certainly have lost all formatting in such cases, maybe this works as a work-around for your cases. If not we will have to do some further diagnostics here as well.

[quote=&quot;pid:53591, uid:31885&quot;]When I paste rich text into a mail (for example a simple table from excel), Pegasus Mail sometimes crashes. Not everytime and not reproducible with the same text.[/quote] Mick, it&#039;s almost impossible to fix issues like this without having any further data available, we will need to go into debug mode using my MiniDump extension maybe after the next IER release I&#039;m currently preparing. [quote=&quot;pid:53591, uid:31885&quot;]When I use IE renderer, copy some text out of a html styled mail and try to paste it into MS word or Outlook calendar, nothing is inserted at all. But it still works with notepad or in plain text form fields in outlook.[/quote] But I&#039;m writing this reply primarily because of this issue: In general I can only say: Issues with pasting are pretty much the job of the receiver, not the sender, especially not if it&#039;s the inventor of the RTF data format involved here. If they can&#039;t deal with the more elaborated format they are supposed to automatically pick up the simpler one which you already could get working yourself. But anyway, I&#039;ve modified something and am now copying another RTF format (actually the same data using a different label) to the clipboard which might change the results for you (and a few other people reporting similar issues) after the next IER update. I still can&#039;t duplicate any of this since it all works properly with Wordpad (MS Word&#039;s little sister) and LibreOffice. But there needs to be a reminder: In some cases the conversion of HTML to RTF just fails and there will only be plain text available. I&#039;m now just converting this plain text back to RTF format but it&#039;ll certainly have lost all formatting in such cases, maybe this works as a work-around for your cases. If not we will have to do some further diagnostics here as well.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Any changes to any of these issues after updating to IER 2.6.5.12?

Any changes to any of these issues after updating to IER 2.6.5.12?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Michael, message I sent you for testing, now I can copy/paste with no crash.

Other messages still have original problem (crash upon forward or upon reply).

One solution I found on one forward crashing message is turning on the "Forwarding setting for the selected method" and setting the "Reformat" option. (but maybe this is off-topic).

Michael, message I sent you for testing, now I can copy/paste with no crash. Other messages still have original problem (crash upon forward or upon reply). One solution I found on one forward crashing message is turning on the &quot;Forwarding setting for the selected method&quot; and setting the &quot;Reformat&quot; option. (but maybe this is off-topic).

One solution I found on one forward crashing message is turning on the "Forwarding setting for the selected method" and setting the "Reformat" option.

Nick, please make a difference with regard to HTML vs. plain text since this sounds like an issue others have reported to apply to plain text messages. If so it must be and already has been fixed by David Harris for an upcoming Pegasus Mail release.
Otherwise, like always, I need sample messages I can duplicate your issues with (provided you can). And I'm working on reply/forward issues as well which only affect HTML messages and including the HTML in replies and forwards.

[quote=&quot;pid:53851, uid:10969&quot;]One solution I found on one forward crashing message is turning on the &quot;Forwarding setting for the selected method&quot; and setting the &quot;Reformat&quot; option.[/quote] Nick, please make a difference with regard to HTML vs. plain text since this sounds like an issue others have reported to apply to plain text messages. If so it must be and already has been fixed by David Harris for an upcoming Pegasus Mail release. Otherwise, like always, I need sample messages I can duplicate your issues with (provided *you* can). And I&#039;m working on reply/forward issues as well which only affect HTML messages and including the HTML in replies and forwards.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Hi Michael, ok, I will investigate if "Reformat" is related to plain txt or html.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to send you a sample of an "html only" message we received, which is crashing Pegasus as soon as you select in the messages list if preview is on.

Hi Michael, ok, I will investigate if &quot;Reformat&quot; is related to plain txt or html. In the meanwhile, I&#039;m going to send you a sample of an &quot;html only&quot; message we received, which is crashing Pegasus as soon as you select in the messages list if preview is on.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to send you a sample of an "html only" message we received, which is crashing Pegasus as soon as you select in the messages list if preview is on.

Well, the HTML actually isn't HTML, that's why. I've already fixed it, update coming soon, thanks for submitting it!

[quote=&quot;pid:53903, uid:10969&quot;]In the meanwhile, I&#039;m going to send you a sample of an &quot;html only&quot; message we received, which is crashing Pegasus as soon as you select in the messages list if preview is on.[/quote] Well, the HTML actually isn&#039;t HTML, that&#039;s why. I&#039;ve already fixed it, update coming soon, thanks for submitting it!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited May 25 '22 at 3:16 pm

Well, the HTML actually isn't HTML, that's why. I've already fixed it, update coming soon, thanks for submitting it!

Thanks to you for helping and managing all the crap which we "have to" receive... smile

I'll wait for update.

[quote=&quot;pid:53908, uid:2133&quot;]Well, the HTML actually isn&#039;t HTML, that&#039;s why. I&#039;ve already fixed it, update coming soon, thanks for submitting it![/quote] Thanks to you for helping and managing all the crap which we &quot;have to&quot; receive... ;) I&#039;ll wait for update.

Hello everyone!

After updating to PMail 4.80.1028, the program (Windows 64 version) became much less stable. Particularly, it sometimes tends to crash when copying text into a mail window. This also results when copying rich text and trying to include it as plain text in an email text window (using 'Paste special, text only without styles and pictures, wordwrapped' ).

Moreover, I wish copying from the subject line of an email and pasting it into the main mail window would not require using 'paste special', but the simple 'paste' function. I believe this was changed when updating to version 4.80. Is there a way around this?

Cheers,
Bernd

Hello everyone! After updating to PMail 4.80.1028, the program (Windows 64 version) became much less stable. Particularly, it sometimes tends to crash when copying text into a mail window. This also results when copying rich text and trying to include it as plain text in an email text window (using &#039;Paste special, text only without styles and pictures, wordwrapped&#039; ). Moreover, I wish copying from the subject line of an email and pasting it into the main mail window would not require using &#039;paste special&#039;, but the simple &#039;paste&#039; function. I believe this was changed when updating to version 4.80. Is there a way around this? Cheers, Bernd

Did you already update IER to it's latest version? Its toolbar button should indicate that an update is available ...

https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm

Did you already update IER to it&#039;s latest version? Its toolbar button should indicate that an update is available ... &lt;https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Jun 21 '22 at 4:40 pm

Yes, I believe I have installed the most recent version of IERenderer (2.6.5.15).

Yes, I believe I have installed the most recent version of IERenderer (2.6.5.15).

Hi Michael, ok, I will investigate if "Reformat" is related to plain txt or html.

Michael, I remember a crash that I believe fits this description that was identified as being caused by the original message containing extremely long lines which would cause a crash when included in a reply without either "Reformat" or "Wrap" selected. That was on May 6 and posted on the PM-Win list. That discussion topic was "Reply causes crash".

[quote=&quot;pid:53903, uid:10969&quot;]Hi Michael, ok, I will investigate if &quot;Reformat&quot; is related to plain txt or html. In the meanwhile, I&#039;m going to send you a sample of an &quot;html only&quot; message we received, which is crashing Pegasus as soon as you select in the messages list if preview is on.[/quote] Michael, I remember a crash that I believe fits this description that was identified as being caused by the original message containing extremely long lines which would cause a crash when included in a reply without either &quot;Reformat&quot; or &quot;Wrap&quot; selected. That was on May 6 and posted on the PM-Win list. That discussion topic was &quot;Reply causes crash&quot;.

That was on May 6 and posted on the PM-Win list. That discussion topic was "Reply causes crash".

Yes, but that one was already fixed in 2.6.5.15.

[quote=&quot;pid:54031, uid:28772&quot;]That was on May 6 and posted on the PM-Win list. That discussion topic was &quot;Reply causes crash&quot;.[/quote] Yes, but that one was already fixed in 2.6.5.15.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

After updating to PMail 4.80.1028, the program (Windows 64 version) became much less stable. Particularly, it sometimes tends to crash when copying text into a mail window. This also results when copying rich text and trying to include it as plain text in an email text window (using 'Paste special, text only without styles and pictures, wordwrapped' ).

I need something I can duplicate or crash dumps for fixing, for providing the latter please download https://www.pmpgp.de/pmtools/MiniDumpAndSources.zip. It's usually easy to use but recommended to use the ReadMe file for understanding how it works and what to do if you're not getting the exptected results on a first try.

Moreover, I wish copying from the subject line of an email and pasting it into the main mail window would not require using 'paste special', but the simple 'paste' function. I believe this was changed when updating to version 4.80. Is there a way around this?

It's converted to plain text on send and doing a Ctrl + J on it would quickly convert it to plain text if you want to change the look - just make sure to keep it separated from other text by a blank line so it doesn't reformat all in one.

[quote=&quot;pid:54028, uid:35042&quot;]After updating to PMail 4.80.1028, the program (Windows 64 version) became much less stable. Particularly, it sometimes tends to crash when copying text into a mail window. This also results when copying rich text and trying to include it as plain text in an email text window (using &#039;Paste special, text only without styles and pictures, wordwrapped&#039; ).[/quote] I need something I can duplicate or crash dumps for fixing, for providing the latter please download https://www.pmpgp.de/pmtools/MiniDumpAndSources.zip. It&#039;s usually easy to use but recommended to use the ReadMe file for understanding how it works and what to do if you&#039;re not getting the exptected results on a first try. [quote=&quot;pid:54028, uid:35042&quot;]Moreover, I wish copying from the subject line of an email and pasting it into the main mail window would not require using &#039;paste special&#039;, but the simple &#039;paste&#039; function. I believe this was changed when updating to version 4.80. Is there a way around this?[/quote] It&#039;s converted to plain text on send and doing a Ctrl + J on it would quickly convert it to plain text if you want to change the look - just make sure to keep it separated from other text by a blank line so it doesn&#039;t reformat all in one.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Hello Michael, thanks very much!

I have installed the debugging program but I am too stupid to find the 'readme' file in the new folder...

Regarding copy and paste from the subject line - I guess inserting a blank line and typing Ctrl + J costs about as much time as using the shortcut for 'paste special'. But if the copied text is converted into the same fonts when sending anyway this should be fine (I thought the different format would be visible to the recipient of the mail).

Hello Michael, thanks very much! I have installed the debugging program but I am too stupid to find the &#039;readme&#039; file in the new folder... Regarding copy and paste from the subject line - I guess inserting a blank line and typing Ctrl + J costs about as much time as using the shortcut for &#039;paste special&#039;. But if the copied text is converted into the same fonts when sending anyway this should be fine (I thought the different format would be visible to the recipient of the mail).
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft