Community Discussions and Support
Domain controlled relay

Assuming i do this, this means this is acting as a total mail server,

with a POP mailbox for each domain, that said could i then use

WSMTPEX.EXE to then look for the files and forward those to the "real"

server behind the firewall, this would negate the need to use POP by

the real server to pull the emails....

Yes, WSMTPEX can be used to send all mail in a mailbox to the second SMTP host on any port. 
Having said that, would

WSMTPEX.EXE use MercuryE to send the emails out as a process, and if so

how long will it try before it fails (and i assume means the mail sits

in the "badmail" folder?

WSMTPex sends mail with it's own built-in mailer but the receiving domain is specifed using the [<IP address>], i.e. user@[192.168.1.4].
I may need to "re-think" this as i dont

want 2 mail "servers" running, just means bumping mail to each stop

while it waits for collection.....

If you are just using the second one as a backup MX host this will work pretty well using the POP3 pull.
&lt;blockquote&gt;Assuming i do this, this means this is acting as a total mail server, with a POP mailbox for each domain, that said could i then use WSMTPEX.EXE to then look for the files and forward those to the &quot;real&quot; server behind the firewall, this would negate the need to use POP by the real server to pull the emails....&lt;/blockquote&gt;Yes, WSMTPEX can be used to send all mail in a mailbox to the second SMTP host on any port.&amp;nbsp; &lt;blockquote&gt;Having said that, would WSMTPEX.EXE use MercuryE to send the emails out as a process, and if so how long will it try before it fails (and i assume means the mail sits in the &quot;badmail&quot; folder?&lt;/blockquote&gt;WSMTPex sends mail with it&#039;s own built-in mailer but the receiving domain is specifed using the [&amp;lt;IP address&amp;gt;], i.e. user@[192.168.1.4]. &lt;blockquote&gt;I may need to &quot;re-think&quot; this as i dont want 2 mail &quot;servers&quot; running, just means bumping mail to each stop while it waits for collection.....&lt;/blockquote&gt;If you are just using the second one as a backup MX host this will work pretty well using the POP3 pull.

Hi

I have been using Mercury for years as my primary email server, now there’s

been an issue with the internet host with regards stability, so i had this

idea, deploy a SECOND Mercury on a VPS as a semi-dumb relay for the domains i control.

The idea would be have SMTP-S (receive mail) and SMTP-E (to relay the mail to

the current server).

Setup each domain in the core module (for this example i would want the server

to relay all mail for aaa.com and bbb.com), however how can i do this without

needing to set up all mailboxes on the relay server.

Also this sever needs to reject all mails not addressed to aaa.com and bbb.com

which looks easy as only those domains are in the CORE module so it will anything else other than those.

What I need the server to do is take ANYNAME@aaa.com and ANYNAME@bbb.com then

transfer them to the "real" server with all the user names on them,

which will reject the name if its doesn’t exist.

Will add here the relay server will not be sending any emails, this will be

done from the real mail server inside the firewall directly, the idea of the

relay server is it will be first hit for receiving email, the other part of the

question is, can a timeout be set on this server for say, 24 hours if by then

it cant relay the mail to the real internet email server it bounces it as "cant

contact" or something?  This is in case the ADSL connection fails (which

is does) then we have some redundancy involved.

&lt;p&gt;Hi I have been using Mercury for years as my primary email server, now there&rsquo;s been an issue with the internet host with regards stability, so i had this idea, deploy a SECOND Mercury on a VPS as a semi-dumb relay for the domains i control. The idea would be have SMTP-S (receive mail) and SMTP-E (to relay the mail to the current server). Setup each domain in the core module (for this example i would want the server to relay all mail for aaa.com and bbb.com), however how can i do this without needing to set up all mailboxes on the relay server. Also this sever needs to reject all mails not addressed to aaa.com and bbb.com which looks easy as only those domains are in the CORE module so it will anything else other than those. What I need the server to do is take ANYNAME@aaa.com and ANYNAME@bbb.com then transfer them to the &quot;real&quot; server with all the user names on them, which will reject the name if its doesn&rsquo;t exist. Will add here the relay server will not be sending any emails, this will be done from the real mail server inside the firewall directly, the idea of the relay server is it will be first hit for receiving email, the other part of the question is, can a timeout be set on this server for say, 24 hours if by then it cant relay the mail to the real internet email server it bounces it as &quot;cant contact&quot; or something?&amp;nbsp; This is in case the ADSL connection fails (which is does) then we have some redundancy involved.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p class=&quot;MsoNormal&quot;&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

Have a look at this post for how to set up domain forwarding:

http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/14135.aspx 

/Rolf  

&lt;p&gt;Have a look at this post for how to set up domain forwarding:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/14135.aspx&quot;&gt;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/14135.aspx&lt;/a&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Option 1 looks good, however its messing with the header and this cant happen with regards to the receiving server, as there is a POP service collecting mail from that server and the mail needs to look like it just landed there.... I am sure there was a way of doing this, i have seen it in a help file somewhere, possibly under the DM= setting.....  Still looking now, however thanks for the link.

[quote user="Rolf Lindby"]

/Rolf  

[/quote]
&lt;p&gt;Option 1 looks good, however its messing with the header and this cant happen with regards to the receiving server, as there is a POP service collecting mail from that server and the mail needs to look like it just landed there.... I am sure there was a way of doing this, i have seen it in a help file somewhere, possibly under the DM= setting.....&amp;nbsp; Still looking now, however thanks for the link. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Rolf Lindby&quot;]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Have a look at this post for how to set up domain forwarding:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/14135.aspx&quot; mce_href=&quot;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/14135.aspx&quot;&gt;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/14135.aspx&lt;/a&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;[/quote]

Think i found it, the core says "DM=mailserver : aaa.com", this seems to hint at allow mail to float off to another server, i am sure i have seen somewhere about users being on another mail server somewhere as well (under aliases or mailbox)...???

[quote user="Rolf Lindby"]

/Rolf  

[/quote]
Think i found it, the core says &quot;DM=mailserver : aaa.com&quot;, this seems to hint at allow mail to float off to another server, i am sure i have seen somewhere about users being on another mail server somewhere as well (under aliases or mailbox)...??? [quote user=&quot;Rolf Lindby&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Have a look at this post for how to set up domain forwarding:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/14135.aspx&quot; mce_href=&quot;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/14135.aspx&quot;&gt;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/14135.aspx&lt;/a&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;[/quote]

Think i found it, the core says "DM=mailserver : aaa.com", this seems

to hint at allow mail to float off to another server, i am sure i have

seen somewhere about users being on another mail server somewhere as

well (under aliases or mailbox)...???

This means that the receiving server must pull the mail via POP3 from this domain type mailbox. In your example,  the mail would be put in the user account "mailserver" on the Mercury/32 system.  Mercury/32 does add the X-Envelope-To: header that passes the original RCPT TO: address to the message body so that the receiving system can use that to actually deliver the mail to the proper user.
&lt;blockquote&gt;Think i found it, the core says &quot;DM=mailserver : aaa.com&quot;, this seems to hint at allow mail to float off to another server, i am sure i have seen somewhere about users being on another mail server somewhere as well (under aliases or mailbox)...???&lt;/blockquote&gt;This means that the receiving server must pull the mail via POP3 from this domain type mailbox. In your example,&amp;nbsp; the mail would be put in the user account &quot;mailserver&quot; on the Mercury/32 system.&amp;nbsp; Mercury/32 does add the X-Envelope-To: header that passes the original RCPT TO: address to the message body so that the receiving system can use that to actually deliver the mail to the proper user.

ok, think i might look at this in a slighty different way...

how can i get Mecury32 to relay mail for a certain domain to another email server (which happends to be another copy of Merucy32), however i need this first server to reject all mails for domains it does not control (i think this might be answered in the above link which i will read in more depth later today).

However the receiving server needs to "think" the mail was destined for it directly so all headers are intact (this "relay" server is a stand in, should there be a problem), however there needs to be some redundancy as well, so it needs to try for about 8 hours or more before it gives up.

&lt;P&gt;ok, think i might look at this in a slighty different way... how can i get Mecury32 to relay mail for a certain domain to another email server (which happends to be another copy of Merucy32), however i need this first server to reject all mails for domains it does not control (i think this might be answered in the above link which i will read in more depth later today). However the receiving server needs to &quot;think&quot; the mail was destined for it directly so all headers are intact (this &quot;relay&quot; server is a stand in, should there be a problem), however there needs to be some redundancy as well, so it needs to try for about 8 hours or more before it gives up.&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="Ashley"]ok, think i might look at this in a slighty different way...

how can i get Mecury32 to relay mail for a certain domain to another email server (which happends to be another copy of Merucy32), however i need this first server to reject all mails for domains it does not control (i think this might be answered in the above link which i will read in more depth later today).

1.  Set Mercury domains to use domain mailboxes for the remote domains. 

2.  Set MercuryS to reject all mail for non-local users.

3.  Set the remote MercuryD to pull the mail from the "domain" POP3 mailbox.  It will also have this domain it it's domain list and use the X-Envelope-To: header to deliver the mail.

However the receiving server needs to "think" the mail was destined for it directly so all headers are intact (this "relay" server is a stand in, should there be a problem), however there needs to be some redundancy as well, so it needs to try for about 8 hours or more before it gives up.

Since it's pulling the mail via MercuryD their is no problem at all.  All the mail in the domain mailbox is for the domain it is servicing.  The headers in the mailbox will show it was processed by the primary system though.  There is no way that any SMTP host can be prevented from adding processing headers to the mail though.[/quote]

&lt;blockquote&gt;[quote user=&quot;Ashley&quot;]ok, think i might look at this in a slighty different way... &lt;p&gt;how can i get Mecury32 to relay mail for a certain domain to another email server (which happends to be another copy of Merucy32), however i need this first server to reject all mails for domains it does not control (i think this might be answered in the above link which i will read in more depth later today).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;1.&amp;nbsp; Set Mercury domains to use domain mailboxes for the remote domains.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2.&amp;nbsp; Set MercuryS to reject all mail for non-local users.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;3.&amp;nbsp; Set the remote MercuryD to pull the mail from the &quot;domain&quot; POP3 mailbox.&amp;nbsp; It will also have this domain it it&#039;s domain list and use the X-Envelope-To: header to deliver the mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;However the receiving server needs to &quot;think&quot; the mail was destined for it directly so all headers are intact (this &quot;relay&quot; server is a stand in, should there be a problem), however there needs to be some redundancy as well, so it needs to try for about 8 hours or more before it gives up.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;Since it&#039;s pulling the mail via MercuryD their is no problem at all.&amp;nbsp; All the mail in the domain mailbox is for the domain it is servicing.&amp;nbsp; The headers in the mailbox will show it was processed by the primary system though.&amp;nbsp; There is no way that any SMTP host can be prevented from adding processing headers to the mail though.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

[quote user="Ashley"]ok, think i might look at this in a slighty different way...

1.  Set Mercury domains to use domain mailboxes for the remote domains. 

2.  Set MercuryS to reject all mail for non-local users.

3.  Set the remote MercuryD to pull the mail from the "domain" POP3 mailbox.  It will also have this domain it it's domain list and use the X-Envelope-To: header to deliver the mail.

Since it's pulling the mail via MercuryD their is no problem at all.  All the mail in the domain mailbox is for the domain it is servicing.  The headers in the mailbox will show it was processed by the primary system though.  There is no way that any SMTP host can be prevented from adding processing headers to the mail though.[/quote][/quote]

Assuming i do this, this means this is acting as a total mail server, with a POP mailbox for each domain, that said could i then use WSMTPEX.EXE to then look for the files and forward those to the "real" server behind the firewall, this would negate the need to use POP by the real server to pull the emails....

Having said that, would WSMTPEX.EXE use MercuryE to send the emails out as a process, and if so how long will it try before it fails (and i assume means the mail sits in the "badmail" folder?

I may need to "re-think" this as i dont want 2 mail "servers" running, just means bumping mail to each stop while it waits for collection.....

[quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;]&lt;blockquote&gt;[quote user=&quot;Ashley&quot;]ok, think i might look at this in a slighty different way... &lt;p&gt;how can i get Mecury32 to relay mail for a certain domain to another email server (which happends to be another copy of Merucy32), however i need this first server to reject all mails for domains it does not control (i think this might be answered in the above link which i will read in more depth later today).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;1.&amp;nbsp; Set Mercury domains to use domain mailboxes for the remote domains.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2.&amp;nbsp; Set MercuryS to reject all mail for non-local users.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;3.&amp;nbsp; Set the remote MercuryD to pull the mail from the &quot;domain&quot; POP3 mailbox.&amp;nbsp; It will also have this domain it it&#039;s domain list and use the X-Envelope-To: header to deliver the mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;However the receiving server needs to &quot;think&quot; the mail was destined for it directly so all headers are intact (this &quot;relay&quot; server is a stand in, should there be a problem), however there needs to be some redundancy as well, so it needs to try for about 8 hours or more before it gives up.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;Since it&#039;s pulling the mail via MercuryD their is no problem at all.&amp;nbsp; All the mail in the domain mailbox is for the domain it is servicing.&amp;nbsp; The headers in the mailbox will show it was processed by the primary system though.&amp;nbsp; There is no way that any SMTP host can be prevented from adding processing headers to the mail though.[/quote][/quote] Assuming i do this, this means this is acting as a total mail server, with a POP mailbox for each domain, that said could i then use WSMTPEX.EXE to then look for the files and forward those to the &quot;real&quot; server behind the firewall, this would negate the need to use POP by the real server to pull the emails.... Having said that, would WSMTPEX.EXE use MercuryE to send the emails out as a process, and if so how long will it try before it fails (and i assume means the mail sits in the &quot;badmail&quot; folder? I may need to &quot;re-think&quot; this as i dont want 2 mail &quot;servers&quot; running, just means bumping mail to each stop while it waits for collection..... &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft