Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for general discussions or technical questions about Mercury Mail Server.

closed
chriscw posted Jun 20 '07 at 2:11 pm

If its failover you want how about using VMWARE,  that would let you run Mercury in a virtual machine and set up another virtual machine, hosted on a different physical server, to take over if the first one stopped working for some reason.   Both servers could obviously use the same queue hosted on a NAS device somewhere.

As soon as I can get my lot to part with £1200 for two sets of bundled virtual OS and utilities thats where all or servers hosting databases, email etc are going.   Licensing is per CPU not per core so we can have two systems running virtual server for that price plus most of the monitoring and failover utilities we could need.   This seems much cheaper than other automatic failover systems I have looked at in the past.

Starting Mercury on a new system is a fairly trivial task for us at least all we need do is copy of move the disk with our mail on, change to the correct IP address and start the server.   We have done this a few times now when hardware fails, it takes about 2 minutes to be running with our more critical accounts already accessible, doing it manually.

closed
Rolf Lindby posted Apr 27 '11 at 11:59 pm

[quote user="Markus"]

I think I remember David talking about dropping cryptlib and transferring to openssl, but couldn't give a definite estimate if and when this would happen.

[/quote]

This is planned for Mercury v. 5.

/Rolf  

closed
Owen posted Jun 8 '07 at 7:39 am

Thanks! Looks a good idea. I presume that a welcome message isn't sent if there's a welcome file specified.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Jun 12 '07 at 8:29 am

[quote user="KeithW"] 

Thanx for the reply !!

I am being beat up trying to get SPF implemented and cannot get email to the MSN / HotMAIL domains working.  I was working thru the MicroSoft SenderID Wizard and it asked if those RFC's were fully supported,  I could not find any references on the web site so I posed the question.

[/quote]

There is something else going on here that has nothing to do with SPF.  I'm sending to both MSN & Hotmail (same place) and i have no SPF record at all.  What error are you getting when sending to these addresses?  What are you using for sending?  MercuryE?  MercuryC  If you do not have a fixed IP address or if you do not have a PTR record at all then you can be rejected by these MS systems.  In any case a session log is in order to see why you can't send.

> For some reason I can't send from tbird to a client setup on mercury.
>
>
> I have domains on mercury as follows
>
> gibberish    mydomain.local
>
> moregibberish    192.168.1.100
>

Check the domains setting in Mercury.ini.  The domains sections should look something like this.

[Domains]
;Server : Domain
Server : Server
Server : mydomain.local
Server : [192.168.1.100

This mail mail sent to user@mydomain.local and user@[192.168.1.100] will be treated as local mail.  If you want to use the user@mydomain.local from other systems on the local LAN you'll need to setup some sort of local DNS.

>  
>
> No aliass or any thing else set except usernames.
>
> user names are
>
> fred and wilma
>
> I can send an email from mercury to fred and tbird will get it.
>
> When I send to fred from tbird I get an unable to relay for fred@[192.168.1.100]

This means that you do not have [192.168.1.100] in the domains section.

>
>  Any ideas?
>
>  
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Chris
>

Clever! I have to say that I probably wouldn't have thought of that solution, even though it's a good one.

Just goes to show - the fact that I wrote the program doesn't necessarily mean that I know the best ways of using it. It's nice to have a creative user community. [:)]

Cheers!

-- David --

closed
johnl posted Jun 6 '07 at 8:02 am

I can appreciate the effort you've put in to maintaining the legacy of code while supporting the breadth of email technologies in Mercury.  I'll keep an eye out for the support of various IMAP extensions in the future.  Thanks again for putting forth the effort to maintain this type of technology.  It's not too common these days to have the primary developer of a product dedicate the time to respond to queries like this.

John

closed
Kevin Hastings posted Jun 16 '12 at 11:56 am

Okay, I don't have a fantastic solution, but maybe you could run your pop3 server on a different port from the default port, so attackers that are just guessing you have pop3 because you SEND / ACCEPT mail will be thrown off the trail.  Of course it will mean informing all of your users ... which might be a major headache!

*that's what I did when I was just starting and people were trying to connect to my pop3 and I didn't even have any users yet ! ! !,  I changed port and now get no unwanted attention* 

closed
David Harris posted Jun 5 '07 at 7:10 am

[quote user="GLM"]

Anyone knows how bare LF messages received by the SMTP module are processed by Mercury/32?

-messages are accepted and LF converted to CR/LF pair

[/quote]

I would expect this to be the case almost everywhere in Mercury. The problem is that a message file can be processed so many times in the course of passing through the queue that there may be some places where it's not so - but as a general rule, this is what I would expect to happen. I code pretty defensively against bad line endings.

Cheers!

-- David --

closed
TMuecker posted Aug 8 '07 at 8:18 pm

Mercury NLM 1.48, Netware 4.20, Pegasus Mail 4.41 NDS Mode, NPEG 2.06, GETMAIL 0.41

2 domains, SpamAssassin 3.1.7 on a smart host (internet provider), less than 1000 Emails every day,

original Pentium 150 MHz, 208 MB RAM,

System on IBM 8 GB SCSI HD (at Compaq EISA SE-Wide-SCSI Controller), Mailboxes RAID5-Array,

System setup 06-05-1996, works also as File- and FTP-Server  (workday, working hours CET+1), never touch a running system... ;-)

closed
David Harris posted Jul 23 '07 at 2:40 pm

You're giving me nothing to work with - how about an example, or a more detailed description of what you're seeing? I'm not psychic.

That said, there are two general answers to this. The first is that if you can tell me specific places where you're having problems with truncation and can give me solid examples, I'll see what I can do to accommodate you... The second, however, is that if you are finding that some of your clients are sending mail with lines longer than 1000 characters, or messages that are not syntactically valid in terms of RFC2821/2822, then you should really be getting the *client* to get their programs fixed, not me. Just because I am approachable or available is not a sufficient reason to dump other developers' problems on me - problems should always be fixed at the source.

Cheers!

-- David --

closed
PiS posted Jun 1 '07 at 2:41 pm

Basically you set up two local mailboxes, one for your wife and one for your self.

Point the alias you like to these mailboxes. (addr1@domain == mbox1, addr2@domain == mbox2)

For the generic address, set up a mailing list, use a real address as list name addr3@domain - then add the two alias addresses as subscribers to the list.

You need to run MercuryE and MercuryP and MercuryS.

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft