Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

closed
David Harris posted Nov 5 '07 at 4:26 am

There probably isn't a day goes by where I don't search my new mail folder, usually many times. Believe me, if this were a clear problem, it wouldn't last a second (the problems that get fixed fastest are always the ones that impact on me personally).

If you can come up with any more clues as to what might be happening, please mention them here and I'll try to make time to look into them.

Cheers!

-- David --

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Oct 16 '07 at 6:56 pm

[quote user="dthomsen8"]

My button panel has disappeared from my primary user, but it is still there on three other less frequently used users.  How do I get it back?

I tried changing Tools, Advanced Settings, Load Windows Internet Services to "Never" and back to "Always" but there was no fix.  The other users are set at "Always" and the button panel and the POP3 and SMTP buttons work just fine. 

[/quote]

When you change back to "Always" or "On demand" from none you need to close and re-open the program. 

closed
Marc posted Oct 15 '07 at 3:59 pm

[quote user="twonotes"]

If that is how it is supposed to work then I will shuffle all my Identities around so that the <DEFAULT> one is the one I use with IMAP.

[/quote]

Yes, that's probably the best solution if you don't want to manually choose the identity before sending e-mails.

closed
patmac posted Nov 1 '07 at 5:30 pm

Thanks everyone. I can now use Pegasus from the non-Admin account. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, I've been using Pegasus since Windows 3.1 and a mostly text-based internet, and didn't want to give up on this. Thanks again for your time and expertise. Anyway to mark this thread "solved"?

closed
angussf posted Oct 15 '07 at 5:17 pm

What is the source of the emails which truncate?  I'll bet there is a problem with them having lines of text that are longer than the official RFC maximum for email (I think it's either 512 or 1024 characters in one line).  AOL is notorious for this.

closed
Filly posted Oct 27 '07 at 11:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your help (it was much appreciated!).

It turned out that one of my less-than-careful mates had sent an email with a suspect attachment.  Once I'd looked at my mail through my ISP's website & deleted the dodgy message, everything was ship-shaped & Bristol fashion once more.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to help.

All the best,

Felicity x

NOT really needing any assistance at this time.  Just wanted to pass on how my PMail is operating, without any difficulty.  If this is not acceptable in here then delete my POSTS.  Do not want to cause any problems just wanting to share.

I have been using my systems for about 10 years from here at home, XP H/E SP-2 for about two weeks moved to this one from Win98SE and before that Win95 and Win3.11.  Have been on the web since before the "www" was ever started, about 1986 when I first started using TCP/IPs to surf, rather slow and combersome.

Thank you for reading my post and this reply plus I appologize for any Miss-Understanding, have a great day,

closed
infotactix posted Oct 18 '07 at 4:59 pm

You shouldn't have to do much to move the installation. I have used this when traveling and it's easy to go back and forth. If you duplicate the folders from your hard drive on the USB drive, it'll work without a hitch. For example: I created '\Program Files\pmail' and '\data\mail' on the USB drive to mirror the setup on the hard drive. Then, just start pmail instance from the USB drive with the -ROAM option and it should find everything just fine. ROAM tells pmail to ignore the drive letter in paths so it isn't dependent on a specific drive letter to work.

If you are dead set on changing the folder structure, you can change your mailbox path using pconfig.exe (found in the pmail program folder). You should also search for all instances of your old folder names in the pmail.ini file (in the mail folder) and change them to the new folder names. You will still need to use the ROAM option to run from the USB because the drive letter may vary from one system to another.

closed
dhagerich posted Oct 15 '07 at 6:32 pm

Thanks for the link.  I guess I missed that thread somehow.  But I'm glad to hear their working on it and hopefully with the next version I'll be able to FINALLY replace OE.

Thanks again,

Dave

closed
juliangc posted Jan 13 '16 at 9:25 pm

Old Thread, but current problem...

I have the same issue, I send some e-mails from my smartphone (through IMAP) or the webmail interface, and when I download the sent mails, the list of mails shows "From:My_name" instead of "To:Someone".

Have anyone found a way to solve this?

I can change manually the text (rigth click on the message --> Message properties --> Text shown in "From" column), is there any way to automatize this?

Best regards,

Julian

Hello!

Are the messages you are talking about any HTML-messages? If so, what you see is that the message body is still displayed in preview even if you have deleted the message.
In order to have this happen as described, several conditions need to be met:
- you are suing preview mode (instead of list mode);
- the message you want to delete is an HTML-message; and
- that message is the last one in the respective folder.

Provided those conditions, this is what happens: you delete the HTML-message -- the message will be deleted -- as that message was the last one in the respective folder, there is no other message to be displayed -- the message body is still displayed in the message preview -- the details ribbon is empty although you still see the message body.
If you see that behaviour, I can tell you that the message has actually been deleted; however, the message preview (that still displays the message body) has not been redrawn / refreshed yet. That is a behaviour that only occurs when the conditions I have listed are met. This is an unexpected behaviour that is currently worked on.

The anti-virus monitoring you have mentioned may also be important here. The anti-virus software may check a file at the same time Pegasus Mail wants to read or delete that file. This may lead to some unexpected results. As I am not too familiar with the current anti-virus programs, I will not go into details yet; however, what I can suggest you is to check what files are excluded from anti-virus monitoring. If you tell your anti-virus program not to check several Pegasus Mail files, you can prevent a file from being accessed by both Pegasus Mail and your anti-virus software.

closed
dkocmoud posted Oct 31 '07 at 7:40 pm

Pegasus Mail is probably doing this.  This only occurs for emails that are COPYSELF emails.  Pegasus Mail adds a special X-CS header to such emails to flag them specially as COPYSELF emails.  When Pegasus Mail sees this header in such a message, it knows to display the To: field instead of the From: field within the folder window.

I'm not exactly sure from your email whether you're checking this from Pegasus Mail or from Outlook.  Pegasus Mail doesn't have a To: field column in the folder window.  This is the reason for the X-CS field in the first place, so that you can see the recipient names rather than your own name.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Oct 10 '07 at 11:11 pm

[quote user="Bob"]Sometimes my e-mails to a neighborhood Yahoo group get sent back

because it says that it contains HTML text. How do I stop that from

happening?
[/quote]

Make sure that "Rich text" is not selected when you send the message.  This rich text can be selected automatically when you paste non-ASCII text into the message so yuo need to be careful or the message may not be readable..   

closed
WindSweptCowboy posted Sep 20 '11 at 2:55 pm

This multi-monitor bug has bugged me for years, through multiple versions of PMail, under Win2K, WinXP and Win7.

At present, I typically run PMail on a ThinkPad X40 supporting 2 or 3 monitors with Win7.  Granted, I have fudged the Win7 to run with an XDDM display driver on the Intel 8255 graphics, but PMail has always seemed insensitive tof a multi-monitor environment, even under Win2k and WinXP.

For example, when spell-checking an email draft with PMail on the secondary monitor, the "Spell Check has finished, would you like to try again for the top?" window always appears on the primary monitor, beyond the PMail window which is limited to the secondary display.  Sometimes, my attention is focused on PMail on the secondary monitor; I do not see the inquiring window which has popped up on the primary monitor.  So, I keep clicking the spell check window to implement my last spelling correction.  With each additional click, PMail seems to produce an additional "finished ....   again from the top?" query window, each over-layed on the prior.  When this happens, clicking in the "finished ...  again from the top window", dispatches the top window, only to reveal an identical under-laying window, to the depth equal to the number of redundant clicks in the Spell Check window.

In folder view, a similar multi-monitor bug appears.  For example, when PMail is in folder view on the secondary monitor, clicking to move a folder generates the target window on the primary monitor, again beyond the PMail window on the secondary monitor.

In other words, some actions evoke subsidiary windows on the primary monitor, even when PMail is running on the secondary or tertiary monitor.

Also, when stared, PMail appears on the monitor from which it was last closed.  For example, after PMail is closed on the secondary or tertiary monitor, restarting PMail evokes PMail on the secondary or tertiary monitor, even if the system no longer has a secondary or tertiary monitor.

As stated above, at my desk, my  ThinkPad X40 generally supports two or three monitors.  Sometimes, I undock my ThinkPad and take it on the road, so to speak.  When starting PMail with my ThinkPad undocked, PMail still starts on the secondary or tertiary monitor--if previously closed from the secondary or tertiary monitor--even when the undocked ThinkPan has only one monitor.  This means that starting PMail on my undocked ThinkPad evokes no change to my primary display, the only display in my undocked configuration.  It appears that PMail fails to start.  In fact, PMail is trying to appear on a non-existant secondary or tertiary monitor.  With Win7, it is reasonably easy to shift wayward PMail to single primary LED display via keyboard shortcuts.

I wish that PMail would attempt to display itself on the secondary or tertiary monitor, only when the system actually contains a secondary or tetiary display.

closed
angussf posted Oct 10 '07 at 5:26 pm

Perhaps someone else has some boilerplate they can paste with the "real answer", but this is usually caused by path issues -- when you set it up on the server, you probably set it up to use "C:". The initial setup WGUIDE.HLP has the following paragraph about network setup:

4: WinPMail will ask you for a mailbox directory - a place where it should store all your mail-related files. You must provide a path to a directory on a shared volume that all your mail users can access. It is important that all your mail users see this directory using the same drive letter - you cannot have one user see it as drive F: while another sees it as drive G:. WinPMail will create a subdirectory in the location you supply for each person who uses the program.

You don't have to use a mapped drive letter, you can use a UNC path (i.e. something like \\SERVER\PMail where "PMail" is the share-name on the server). You can change this in your current setup by opening a DOS prompt, changing to the shared folder on the server, and running PCONFIG.

closed
twonotes posted Oct 10 '07 at 12:15 am

I have been evaluating Pegasus to replace Thunderbird and while I like what I see working, there are some things that are so frustrating.

I have been cleaning up some of my IMAP folders, deleting old messages, etc.   I go thru a folder of some 600 messages looking for old ones I do not need any more.  I have the "move to Trash on delete" option selected.  When I see several consecutive messages I can delete at once I shift-select them and hit delete.  Sometimes (not always) Pegasus doesn't stop at the end of the selection but moves all the messages in the folder to the Trash.  Since it is not particular fast about doing this (1 msg moved per second)  I can see the messages counts going down in my folder and the count going up in Trash.

Sometimes I can hit the STOP button and it will quit.  Then I have to go into Trash and pull back out the things I did not want deleted.

closed
jan78 posted Oct 12 '07 at 10:41 am

Just a few more things for the record.

Opening the folder for the second time took 7 hours, same as the first time.  

Splitting it into smaller parts was fast--roughly a half hour to do all the parts.

Also, in my first post I said that peak memory usage opening the folder

went to about 1GB but now I realize that wasn't so. This time which was

right after a reboot it went to just 324MB.  (The first time, peak

memory was already at 1GB because of some prior process.)  

Many thanks for all of the help.

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft