Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Sep 26 '07 at 9:01 pm

[quote user="jade"]Go to the program directory and run pconfig.  Select the Standalone

menu and then change the drive letter to match the current drive lterr.

Yes, how do I go to the program directory?

What is the current drive lterr? 

[/quote]

Use "My computer" and/or "File manager", go to the WinPMail program directory.  If you do not know what it is then search for the file pconfig.exe to get the di=rectory name.  The program pconfig.exe must be run from that directory.

The current drive letter will be something like d: or c:, should be obvious from my computer.

closed
dhughes posted Sep 26 '07 at 5:02 am

If I already have Pegasus open and accidently click twice on a mailto: link in Firefox, Pegasus goes into a loop opening (and closing?) new mail messages.  I have to kill the process or log off to regain control.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Sep 25 '07 at 10:34 pm

[quote user="James Plummer"]

In the middle of writing an email, PEGASUS just  disappears, and that will happen 2 or 3 times right after each other.

I redownloaded and re-installed to the same effect.

I have been using PEGASUS for over 10 years, and would hate to have to give it up, can anyone help me. I mistakenly wrote to David some months ago, but was ignored, but the problem is still there.

James plummer

Toronto

wulston9@primus.ca

[/quote]

Any time Pegasus mail "just disappears" then that's the OS shutting down Pegasus Mail because it was talking to something else when it crashed and the OS needs to shut down everything it was talking to to restore order in the system.  This happened in the past with a broken Adobe Reader v7 when WinPMail was trying to attach files to messages.

We really need a lot more specifics here about your system and some sort of detail as to what is happening when it goes away.  Running anything special in the background? 

closed
rgakins posted Sep 25 '07 at 10:02 pm

All of a sudden most of the entries in one of my address books are duplicated.

But the information in the duplicates is not the same -- one set is correct and the other

is information from another entry. If I delete one of the duplicates, they both disappear.

Is there a fix for this? Did I do something to cause it? Thanks for any help.

Dick 

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Sep 25 '07 at 8:37 pm

> I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to
> re-install Windows :-( I want to export my mail and folder
> structure to a file and then re-import it to my new install
> of Pegasus. I guess this would be the same process as if I
> were making a backup but I can't see any way to do this.
> Thanks.
>

1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note all the
    directories.  This is the directory structure you want to
    backup.

2.  Use the Windows backup program to backup the entire
    structure. In the multiuser made this means you'll have to
    backup the top level structure to get all the user
    directories. You can simply ZIP these directories to a
    CDROM, network drive, etc. and restore on the other end as well.

3.  Restore this to the new system install.  

Note:

A.  If you are using a CDROM for backup make sure that the
    files did not get marked read only.  Use Explorer and check
    the file properties.

B.  If you changed drive letters then run pconfig.exe and
    change the drive letter of the home and new mail directory
    to match the new location. You also should check the
    Mailbox: line in the *.PND files and make sure it's blank.

C.  If you want to upgrade in the process do it after you transfer
    the files and install it over the old installation using exactly
    the same directory structure and options.

closed
ovj@ruc.dk posted Oct 2 '07 at 10:51 pm

Hi Martin

Thank you for your adwice.

I found out that I had mixed old and new files when I copied the files from the old installation.

I then removed all the files and made a new copy from the old computer, and now everything is fine, thank you. [:D]

closed
Osprey posted Sep 23 '07 at 9:45 pm

Hi again Han,

Please excuse my question earlier; there was no problem. I've been working on some POP3/SMTP settings for my main address, and also this issue with being able to send and receive with my second main address.

Being a little tired, when doing some tests: changing to new identity and sending from my second to my first main address, of course in Copy folder it showed under From header, To: "First address". I expected to see my new address there (the second), but it IS the Copy folder (as every other folder has the header From), so of course it should show To which address.

Sorry to bother.

Back to main issue with IMAP & POP.

closed
Thomas_N_ posted Oct 2 '07 at 11:28 am

Hello!

Have you experienced any other problems right now? Or could you solve the problem?

The special characters Thomas S. mentioned may have caused the problem. What I am thinking of is a page break that was manually added to the file in Word or by the Word template itself. In your example, the page break may have been added after "agenda".

When using "Paste special" [CTRL+SHIFT+V], one of the "Text only, without styles and pioctures, ..."-options would remove the page break when copying the text from Word to Pegasus Mail. You may also copy it from Word to Notepad and from Notepad to Pegasus Mail - this should have the same effect and remove any special characters, leaving the pure text.

closed
Han vd Bogaerde posted Sep 23 '07 at 6:42 pm

[quote user="Depover"]In MSWord it is possible to send an open doc-file as attachment in a mailmessage. With Outlook-express everything works well. The mailmessage opens with the doc-file in attachment. When I try to do the same with Pegasusmail, Pegasus opens but doesn't create a new mail message and Word hangs. Can anyone help me with this problem?[/quote]

Pegasus Mail needs exclusie acces to any file it needs to attach. So you have to close the doc document first before being able to use it in Pegasus Mail. Not sure why word would hang though.....

Pegasus Mail will warn you when it cannot send the attachment.

[quote user="DonPedro"]thank you, but no, what you suggest is against my policy :)

I want to "keep" deleted mails, but would like to get rid of the spam-mails that go into the deleted-messages box once trigger-deleted from the spam-folder.[/quote]

Here's an idea: change the spam-filtering rule that deletes "spam" to a rule that moves the "spam" to a "Spam" folder.   Then you can just Ctrl-Delete the contents of the spam folder while not polluting your "Deleted Messages" folder with spam.

closed
Osprey posted Sep 21 '07 at 9:25 pm

Hi,

I have a question regarding how to configure or install Pegasus when using two email addresses; one via POP3 and one via IMAP4.

Background:
I have been using Pegasus Mail for 13-14 years with POP3/SMTP. During the years, since I have been the only one using Pegasus on the PC, I have had it installed in single-user mode, nothing odd. When I last time rebuilt the PC I only changed the Home Mailbox location to another partition, for less problem in the future. It works great. Over the years I have changed ISP, and thus I can find some obsolete settings in Available POP3 (and SMTP) definitions (Internet Mail Options > Add). The same goes for Identities, though I have never used anyone but Default/Single-user; the old identities correspond with my old mail options. I have not bothered to remove those old settings, maybe should do some cleaning.

I now have another main address, not through my ISP, which I would like to use in Pegasus Mail. This account is accessed via IMAP (or web mail).

What is the best solution if I would like to be able to switch between the two (POP3/SMTP & IMAP4/SMTP), sending and receiving from both?

Then it's another question that I have to check with my ISP about sending from the new, second, address, if possible. They have some other settings for SMTP for those cases.

I have looked briefly at the help files and at the "Manage IMAP Profiles". Also, the manual, apparently the recommendation now is to install in multi-user mode even if only one user. I have no problem with reinstalling Pegasus. Or is this best dealt with using different identities?

All comments appreciated. TIA.

Hello!

I have not heard of such a problem myelf, so all I can do is guess what happned and what to do to prevent that from happening again.

There are three ideas that has crossed my mind:

(a) Before writing the actual reply, you are displayed the "Reply options"-window in which you can choose several options for your reply. Often, the settings can remain untouched; however, when replying to a message with long lines, you may choose one of the options for that case ("Reformat" or "Wrap" [or "None" if you do not think that those options are necessary]).

This is what the help says about the options:
Different mail programs create their messages in different ways (unfortunately). Some mail programs use long lines, and some mail programs even put entire paragraphs on a single line. While Pegasus Mail can handle lines up to 1000 characters long, you typically won't want to be sending out messages like that. Accordingly, the program offers several ways of adjusting the data from the original message to more sensible formats. If you check the radio button entitled None, then Pegasus Mail will not attempt to reformat the lines it includes from the original message at all: they will be included as-is, although they will be truncated at 1000 characters in length. Selecting Reformat tells Pegasus Mail that it should try to reformat long lines from the original message intelligently, by recognizing lines that are already quotes from earlier messages and so forth: this option works well for many types of message and is the default. If the original message is one of those bizarre monsters where entire paragraphs are stored on a single line, the Wrap option may work better for you: this option simply splits the line repeatedly at the right margin until there is no more left.
When it comes to handling long lines from the original message, there is no one method that will work for every possible message. Experiment with the three options to see which one you prefer in general use, and be conscious that there may be certain types of exceptional message you receive that might require the use of another option.

One of those options may help if you notice that the original message has very long lines and have the feeling that replying may cause some clutter (especially when it comes to quoting long lines); however, I am not sure whether the problem that was reported in the first posting can be solved with that...but you never know.

(b) As far as I can see, the examples in the first and the second posting here have one thing in common: the first " >"-mark (i.e. the beginning of the quoted text) is in the same line as the new text. Look here: [quote] Yes it was.  The pile of dead branches is now a lot full of tiny stumps, but better than before.  Thanks As for Bond St, yesterday someone filled in the hole with a pile of black dirt and then drove over it.  Not sure if this was an accident or on purpose  Also not sure how long it will last as it is raining again, but I will let you know if the hole widens.
Diane> From: dh@xxxx.xxx> To: dt@xxxx.xxx> Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 14:51:00 -0400> Subject: RE: Follow Up on Request for Mess on Harwood> > > > On 27 Jul 2007 at 17:52, Diane T wrote:> > > >[/quote] "Diane" (probably a kind of a signature) is in the same line as "> From: dh@xxxx.xxx> To:".

As far as this example is concerned, I suggest a manual line break after "Diane", so "> From: dh@xxxx.xxx> To:" starts at the beginning of the next line. In other words: when writing the answer, you could have pressed [ENTER] after "Diane" - this would have caused the quote "> From: dh@xxxx.xxx> To:" to be wrapped into the next line, with "> " at its beginning. I think that the other lines of the quote would consequently have had the quote marks at the beginning of the line.

So my general suggestion is: when writing the reply, make sure you put a line break before the "> "-mark. (I hope this helps - as mentioned, I have never seen such a problem myself, so all I can do is hope that my suggestion works.)

(c) As described in (b), an additional line break may help here. You can have a line break in a custom header when replying, too. The syntax for having an autimatic line break in a custom header line is "~L".
Make sure that your custom header line ends with "~L". This (hopefully) causes the quote to start in a line of its own, having "> " at the beginning of the new line.

All I can say is: I hope that helps.

closed
NTxLS posted Sep 19 '07 at 11:38 pm

I am still attempting to import my address book from my previous version of PMail v4.3 (I think).  Better yet is the fact I have full access to all of my e-mail accounts in just one copy of PMail.  You knew this was possible, I did not and even have the mail boxes from my old copy of PMail which is probably even better than having the address book.  Yes I am learning and WOW! is this a POWERFUL e-mail client or what?  I even have my Wife's account in the same access, how wonderful.

To: Mr. David Harris

When I find the funds there will be a contribution from this location.  On top of that I am changing my ISP for a higher speed connection at the end of this month, actually it will be starting the 1ST of October.  Will make all changes then, I hope I will have enough time to cover all of the Forums I am a member of, 19 so far along with my lists of e-mail buddies and my Wife's as well.

All I can say at this time is THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, etceteras,

Known problem when sending via the internal mailer;  does not happen when sending via a Mercury queue.  That said, you might just try using TinyURL anyway since you cannot be sure the receiving system could handle this long URL anyway.

closed
irelam posted Oct 31 '07 at 3:14 am

Yes there is a known problem with multi-column tables drawn by using CSS rather than standard html tables. There is no immediate hope for a fix, but as there is a simple bypass by registering with Yahoo to use Traditional format, you should get a better display.

Martin 

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Sep 18 '07 at 10:47 pm

[quote user="RAClyde"]Thank you! It worked on my computer. I have Acrobat 7 Professional - might that be the reason it worked? Or should I hold my breath every time I try this?
[/quote]

You currently do not have any broken programs on your system however if it ever crashes when working the file system without an error message think about what you've just loaded/upgraded on your system.

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft