Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for general discussions or technical questions about Mercury Mail Server.

Here one can find a real exploit code (not just crashing the server!). As far as I can tell, it executes shell code, but to the real malware exploitation, it's "a small step in programming, but a giant leap to hijacking the machine...".

http://securityreason.com/exploitalert/2657

closed
PiS posted Aug 24 '07 at 1:05 am

If you want to send the mail off the mercury hosting server, the xxxxxxx.com domain cannot be in your local domains list - found under configurations/core tab localdomains

Lex,

I am trying to identify attachments in incoming mail. For instance, if an incoming mail has an attachment "SAMPLE.PDF", I would like to simply add a header. So, I have the following statement in RULES.MER:

If attachment ExtnPart contains "pdf" AddHeader "SpamCheck: !PDF!" 

The message is not moved / copied in filtering process. But this does not add any header as I want.

Also, the following command

if body contains ".pdf" weight 31 

in content control file SPAMBUS.DAT does not generate the weightage.

What may be the cause?

closed
PaulW posted Aug 22 '07 at 12:22 pm

[quote]Mercury will presumably blacklist the IP of the local proxy, causing itself to not receive any mail anymore for the time of the short-term blacklisting (30 minutes AFAIK).[/quote]

Good point.  I'll watch out for that.

Of course, I would rather have the patch out now than wait for all the bells and whistles.

closed
Edmachine posted Aug 20 '07 at 9:23 am

Yeah, might be my avast doing that. It does pop up when I launch IE and shows Script blocker... but the software is good :).

10 minutes later: Thanks :)! I disabled scan outgoing mail, and now I can send mail :). Thank you :)!

20 minutes later: I can send, but I can't telnet into port 25 :D lol, I sent a test mail successfully, but I can't telnet... Could not open connection to the host, on port 25...

But thanks anyways, I have gotten it working now :)! 

closed
Rolf Lindby posted Aug 14 '07 at 6:33 pm

From what I understand the client issued a FETCH FLAGS command to get a listing of all messages in the Inbox, and this is part of the reply. There appears to be no request to download message headers or body in this log extract, though.

Do you get the same result with another email client than Outlook Express?

/Rolf

closed
Addis posted Aug 14 '07 at 3:48 pm

Found the problem...

I'd ran out of disk space!!!

It still leaves my query about unread messages but, as it is un-related to this topic I'll open a new thread.

Cheers

closed
chriscw posted Oct 2 '07 at 12:49 pm

Yes the decision is that we do want to use our company logo in our signature.   We can do it in the client but if we did it in the server it would be easier to enforce.

closed
anne posted Jan 12 '08 at 8:25 pm

Hi,

I did a few suggestions, i did enter my IP inside the range as an ipadres allowing to send through this mailserver.

I for some reason put a slash between the name and the password, i corrected that (don't know why i did that) and from this point on i put the options on

I did turned the settings in connection control on from top to bottom....

If i turn the last one (Only authenticated...) then the top two option grey out, doing so resulted in this reaction from the Mercury server...

Connection from 80.126.108.7, Sat Jan 12 20:10:55 2008
EHLO [10.11.12.1]
MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=483
RCPT TO:<myname@gmail.com>
553 We do not relay without RFC2554 authentication.
QUIT
1 sec. elapsed, connection closed Sat Jan 12 20:10:56 2008

Connection from 122.126.239.29, Sat Jan 12 20:11:15 2008
HELO 80.126.108.7
554 Invalid HELO format
1 sec. elapsed, connection closed Sat Jan 12 20:11:16 2008

I turned the bottom option off, and from that point everything seems to work fine....

I hope it stays this way, Gentelmen, thanks for your advise and patience... a lot of patience i guess...

Anne

closed
David Meyer posted Aug 10 '07 at 11:39 am

The problem with external access to the server was due to GrayWall settings.

The dns problem possibly had 2 parts. 1. Slow response time for the recipients reverse dns look up. 2. The 20 second timeout as the default setting in Mercury.  Since increasing a number of the timeouts in Mercury modules I have not had any more email problems.
closed
MercUser posted May 12 '08 at 1:54 pm

I also have problems with this.

I found another post  http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/3553.aspx
but noboby helped

That's one reason I should never use Mercury in my own organization. Nobody is able to reply to a simple question and help files are useless.

anyone please? Why the option "disable header stripping" is not working? Is there a way?

When someone sends an email to list@mydomain.com and to: john@mydomain.com and cc:mike@mydomain.com. Why Mercury strips john@ and mike@ and makes impossible the recipient reply to all. is there a way?

Anyone please? Mercury developer?? anybody home??

closed
PiS posted Aug 7 '07 at 12:32 am

All over the news here today is the new US wiretap law. Quite a few internet spokesmen here in Sweden see this as a coming police state. More english backround here:

Now on to my question: Is it possible to incorporate personal and individual encryption onto Mercury? Meaning that users can collaborate their own encryption methods at the maildrop level instead of at the client?

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft