Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for general discussions or technical questions about Mercury Mail Server.

closed
PiS posted Aug 3 '07 at 1:48 pm

Today the Mercury GUI is tightly integrated with the operating core. When running services you need to unhook a GUI from direct screen calls (such as status windows etc). When David separates the GUI from the core process, there will be methods to create users, aliases, passwords, do restarts, etc by means of hooks into the core, through an API or similar means. Then it is easier to create whatever admin interface that interacts with the core through standardized calls.

The storage of domains etc, is to make it possible to have multiple installations of Mercury, and multiple domains. Today Mercury is based on a flat structure, but domains and users and aliases actually create a hierarchical structure. We have it organized this way today, but I never made a public software for it. A relational sql-database is perfect for this type of structure. Then it is very little effort to take the info to the flat file structure that Mercury is based on.

[quote user="pbeddy"]

Thanks. I do appreciate the feedback, Thomas.

While I do not want to be lulled into a false security, it is reassuring to compare notes. I wonder how long it will take the virus authors to pick up on this measure and make their "products" "graywall-compliant"?

[/quote]

Not all that long I suspect, they are already delivering directly to the MX host in an attempt to bypass Graywall.   The problem for them is that the addition of the retry does make it more expensive in time to deliver the mail.  It might even make it easier for the operator of the "Zombied" machine to detect something is going on with their system.  The real point is that you still need something scanning the mail for viruses, the fact that Graywall blocks some is just an added extra.

closed
Geyser posted Sep 9 '07 at 5:03 am

Thanks,  That was the issue.  I've now set up (once I got NAT working over satellite connection... grrr) MercuryS to handle incoming mail and that (including forwarding) is working as it should.  Is it also true that local email won't be forwarded by this method either?

Thanks again.    -Guy 

[quote user="PlayWithFire"]

I am very new to the world of PHP development, but at work i was given a task to bring a PHP application online. The application was developed on the outside, and seems to work, but i can't configure the SMTP server to work.

I'll be honest, i am not even sure where to begin troubleshooting it, but when i am trying to send e-mails, i get an error saying that PHP cannot connect to the mail server.

When i am in Mercury/32 application, and i try to send mail from there, the SMTP client is unable to resolve the name. So, i used OpenDNS in the SMTP client configuration, and it was able to resolve the name, but it just comes up with "Connection Error" and "Connection error on alternative"

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

[/quote]

This is not really a PHP problem at all, yuo must first install the correct modules and verify that Mercury/32 is operational.  The very first step is to use Start | Run telnet 127.0.0.1 25 to verify that Mercury/32 MercuryS is up on your system and running on port 25 and can receive the mail.  Until this works all else is a waste of time.

Personally I would install v4.51 over the v4.01 that comes with XAMPP and setup the Mercury/32 server. 

Not saying that speculation is bad, but the decision is firm and the January turmoil is history.

Pegasus Mail lives on donations. Mercury will soon live on license fees.

With the above comment, I'm locking this thread since the content now is far away from the topic at hand.

closed
Methuselah posted Oct 8 '07 at 10:16 am

[quote user="Rolf Lindby"]

If you block all incoming messages with <> as sender you may block more than you intend to. Delivery failure messages from SMTP servers can have that as well.

/Rolf 

[/quote]

Thanx for that heads-up.
At present I am moving the messages to a black-hole mailbox that I monitor.
I'll keep an eye open for that sort of message before I institute "killfile" :)

closed
airyt posted Jul 10 '08 at 5:33 pm

Yup -- not ignoring the actual issue, i was just looking for a workaround as there has been no indication that this issue is in the queue for updating.

My thoughts/wishlist for the autoreply issue would be as follows:

1/ The length of time to suppress subsequent auto-replies be configurable.

2/ Then, for every account, simply keep a file where email addresses and a timestamp are kept on each line.

3/ Then, when a message comes into the account (and the account has autoreply set to on), the sending email address is checked in the file. If found, check the timestamp against the current time and send (or suppress) an auto-reply accordingly. Then update the timestamp in the file if an autoreply is sent. If the email address is not found in the file, append the email address and current timestamp to the file and send the autoreply message.

Seems fairly straightforward to me. :)

best, gw
closed
PaulW posted Jul 17 '07 at 5:25 pm

DNS MX records should contain a host name - that is a name you have set up with an 'A' record pointing to an IP address.

closed
PaulW posted Jul 13 '07 at 6:30 pm

[quote user="madbuffalo"]Yes they are correct.  I have used up to three actions on the same line before. i.e. (BSL)[/quote]

I've just done some tests, and I'm not seeing that.  You get a log entry anyway if Mercury blocks and send a response - you don't get an extra one with an 'L' in the final position.  I get exactly the same entries with 'R', 'RL', 'R-L' or 'RSL'

[quote]As for the 'N', I have never used it--so I am not sure if the functionality is there or not.[/quote]

It is still working - it must be an omission in the help.

closed
NetwareRulez posted Jul 10 '07 at 6:53 pm

Hi,

I'm using Pegasus on Netware (NDS mode) with Public Folders. Configured Merc/32 4.51 to deliver directly to the Public Folder via an alias.  Works like a charm.

Is there any way to notify users of new mail arriving in the Public Folders (the same way as new mail arriving in their personal folders) without running 3rd party tools?

Thanks

Ron

closed
dilberts_left_nut posted Jul 16 '07 at 4:06 am

If it's not in your CC filters could it be coming FROM another mercury server's CC.

Check Received headers for another merc system?

Don't know if these are supposed to go on outgoing mail though. 

closed
nils posted Aug 22 '07 at 3:27 pm

Is this the way to do it for all of us with support subscription, I mailed the support account before summer regarding this but not reveived an answer yet. It is a bit annoying running with crippled interface.

Best regards and thanks for the superb software

/Nils 

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft