Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

Hi!

I use Pegasus v.4.41 on Windows 2000 and in May 2007 Pegasus and other programs started running extremely slow, something like 100 times slower, especially when queing a mail for sending and when closing Pegasus (and moving read mails from New Mail folder to other folders).

Now I have done a lot of experiments, and my conclusion is that some Windows Updates (probably in May 2007) destroyed the speed, because now I have restored a HD image from Oct. 2006 twice, updated the firewall, the antivirus and spyware, and done virus- and spyware-scannings but the second time I only installed the MS-Windows Updates up to April the 10th 2007, and now Pegasus works perfectly again.

My guess is that my PC has some kind of hardware problem that hasn't been activated until I installed the Win2000 updates in May...

closed
Han vd Bogaerde posted May 23 '07 at 10:21 pm

[quote user="Charles Gran"]

Is there someway to set the reader so that I can have 12 point roman for regular viewing and 10 point courier for monospaced viewing?

Charles

• xp sp2 

[/quote]

The first yes, when the window is in focus just select the Red F icon to set the default (non html-mail).

The 2nd is currently not possible, at least I have never seen this in any file, so the monospaced view (using F12 in the reader) is hard coded; it might not work in html view though.

closed
Kiwicom posted May 24 '07 at 1:23 pm

Thanks for your reply,

unfortunately up to the moment of this incident I never backed up my emails, but since then have done so once in every two weeks. 

I checked the corresponding mail folder files (FOL02A6C.PMI and FOL02A6C.PMM) and they are both still inside the Home mailbox location path.

When I said that the folder names were scrambled I meant the folder names that appear within Pegasus Mail (ID) and not the actual file names.

By the way, sorry for my late reply but I can only get online once in a while. I very much appreciate your help!

Kiwicom

closed
pbm posted May 23 '07 at 3:34 pm

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]

This has been covered in many thread here. There are tags to your right for searching, there is a search-box where you can search almost on any combination of  words.

But, here is the best solution to your problem: See thread:

[/quote]

Thanks.  Having spent lots of time trying to find the thread that would answer my questions (posed on several different threads), I realize one of the downsides of this otherwise wonderful site: too many threads on too many topics that are too interrelated and too incomplete.... I've been on the Pmail list long enough to know that there ARE answers to most questions and that it is often as simple as a checking a little switch in one of Tools/Options boxes. The Pmail List had the advantage of funnelling all questions through a central station so that everyone got a quick glance at everything that came in that day (the digest is perfect for that). Here I've put my query on several different threads, all of them seeming to be related... In any case here are my still unanswered questions as I try to recover from the Pmail re-installation that has gone awry:

1. Signature names are there, but not the contents;

2. Spamhalter definitions (and whitelist) are gone;

3. Filtering definitions are gone;

4. Internet settings are gone.

5. Unable to highlight (and move) mulitple folders (to put into filing trays).

These pains, of course, don't include the perennial problem of having to reconstruct the folder structure, as the "filing trays" have been blown away.

The bottom line is that one of the major strengths of Pegasus -- being able to configure it to ones personal preferences -- is turned into a weakness: having to manually reconstruct months of finetuning.

Thanks.

--peter m.

closed
mouse posted Jul 18 '07 at 12:26 am

Does anyone have an idea why deleting messages is such an arduous task for Pegasus since I installed the free trial of NOD32? I disabled appending AV messages via IMON > setup > POP3 > no notification, and it appears to have sped things up a bit?

[quote user="mouse"]

Let me make that more coherent:

[quote user="mouse"]

I am very happy so far with my trial NOD32. The only issue it seems to have caused is that deleting emails from my inbox seems to temporarily (about 3 minutes) freeze up everything. I want to purchase the full deal, but I don't want to have the freeze-up whenever I delete a message.

In case it's relevant, I use windows XP.

[/quote]

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]What email client are you using?[/quote]

I use Pegasus version 4.41. Thank you :) 

[/quote]
closed
psnoeijer posted May 29 '07 at 9:50 pm

Thank you very much for your help!!

I solved the problem and I can send and receive Pegasus Mail again.

It appeared that the Firewall of Norton Internet Security blocked Pegasus Mail.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Pedro Snoeijer

Hi,

thank you all for your help.

The problem fixed itself with an oldschool Windows-Restart.

Maybe windows held a lost reference to a broken newmail and
SPAMHalter was not able to delete this fragment
after moving a copy to the junkfolder and
retried it all the time?

Bye for now and many thanks to the creators of PM and SH!

jcp

closed
dkocmoud posted May 25 '07 at 8:39 pm

When you make changes to the rquotes.r *source* file, you then have to compile it with the RESCOM.EXE utility, which ships with Pegasus Mail in the Resources subfolder under the Pegasus Mail program directory (usually C:\PMAIL), and then copy the resulting rquotes.rsc resource file to your mailbox directory as an rquotes.pms file.

From the sample rquotes.r file:

##
##   Sample source for a suitable RQUOTES.PMS for use in
##   Pegasus Mail v3.0/WinPmail variable signatures.
##
##   Compile this source using ResCom.exe, by issuing the
##   command "ResCom RQUOTES.R", then copy the resulting
##   RQUOTES.RSC file into your home mailbox as RQUOTES.PMS.
##
##   So, the sequence of commands looks like this:
##
##      C:\PMAIL> rescom rquotes.r
##      C:\PMAIL> copy rquotes.rsc f:\mail\9000001\rquotes.pms
##
##   The general format of this file is a collection of text
##   resources; each text resource is a multiline group of
##   quoted strings, ending with \n wherever you want a line
##   break.
##
##   To activate your variable signature, place the characters
##   ~! in your signature file at the point where you want the
##   substitution to occur.
##

In the example above, F:\mail\9000001\ is presumed to be your mailbox directory (as it would be in a NetWare bindery mode environment).  More likely, it will be something like C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Fred.

closed
pbm posted May 29 '07 at 10:43 pm

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]There is no folder specified here.  If you are trying to get it to query for a folder name then use Tools | Options | Copies to self "If making a copy to self, ask at send time which folder to put it in"  

When this control is checked, Pegasus Mail will ask you to select a folder into which the copy to self should be placed at the time you send the message. When this option is enabled, the Default copy-to-self folder name field is ignored.[/quote]

That did it, Tom.  Thanks.

--peter m.  

Go to the directory containing winpm-32.exe (should be c:\pmail\programs on a new install) and run the program pconfig.exe.  Set the standalone HOME and NEW mail directory spec to c:\pmail\mail\~8 then save and exit.  It should now be pointing to your multiuser installation and when you enter "John" for the user name it should get your old mail.

[quote user="David Harris"]

To get around that, I would disable message preview automatically after any crash, and the user could select this option to turn it back on:

[/quote]

So the workaround is :

Cause Pegasus to crash then don't push the button, hey presto - no preview [:D] 

Now just need a toolbar button to crash the program ! 

closed
dkocmoud posted May 22 '07 at 9:01 pm

Your .PM! address book index file is corrupted.  Unfortunately we don't have any modern internal tools to repair address books.  There is the old dos-based PMIMPORT.EXE utility that you can extract from the PMAIL/DOS version (v3.5 is available from the download web site).  PMIMPORT can extract the data from the address book, you can then check it and clean up any duplicates, then reimport it into a new address book.  Note that you can use the Tab key in PMIMPORT to bring up a file/directory selector window when in a field that asks for a filename.

closed
toab posted Jun 4 '07 at 11:12 pm

[quote user="dkocmoud"]The -Z 1024 commandline option must be used every time, not just once.  [/quote]

Yes, I know. The shortcut I usually use (in fact it's in the start-up folder, so i won't have to do it manually) has this parameter. However, because I saw something that I did not see early on, I dropped it here. The parameter suppresses the symptoms, it is not solving the problem. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the subject finds the info is usefull.

And yes, I know the problem is not a Pegasus-bug. I've reported the bug also by the company whose software I think is tot blame.

However, no hard feelings here. 

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft